Best Luxury Hotel in Hong Kong

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Luxury Hotel in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2015, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by moondog
I honestly have nothing against the Cosmo or Cosmopolitan. I just never associated either with "luxury".
Budget hotel for mainland tour groups is a closer description from when I've been in there.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:27 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
There have been some valid questions raised about the objectivity of post 41 in this thread and via PM. As this specific property has now been discussed, let's move on to discussions about other properties where "luxury" is more of a consensus.

Last edited by Moderator2; Apr 10, 2015 at 10:33 am
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by phol
My opinion:

Peninsula - far away from most things you're likely to want to see, other than the HK skyline view. Right in the middle of mainland tourist shopping heaven/hell (depending how you look at it). Service is also not quite as polished as the very best hotels.
I think they're among the service leaders in Hong Kong. Never experienced bad service there. from the Verandah to the spa - just Peninsula excellence.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 7:28 pm

I really like Icon Hotel!
I stayed there 3 night in one of the suite. That was incredible! the service is awesome, the breakfast really delicious !
Old Jan 30, 2016, 6:55 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Club - Platinum
I stayed in Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong 2 weeks ago. Nice rooms, but I thought the service was more exceptional

Wrote a review of it here: http://iwandered.net/2016/01/30/mand...-hotel-review/

Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:42 am

The rooms at Mandarin Oriental look so 1990s. The carpet and the furnitures look so old. This hardly looks luxurious.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:04 pm

Some pics of the renovated rooms at the Landmark MO for those interested.
Attached Images     
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RA-wannabe
The rooms at Mandarin Oriental look so 1990s. The carpet and the furnitures look so old. This hardly looks luxurious.
The style might look older but it's top notch materials. Definitely more luxurious in person.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Reverting back, i just wanted to thank everyone for last year's advice. Really enjoyed my stay at the Langham Place which was a bargain for the price. The location adjoining the mall was great and close to subway though as a tourist I think it would have been more convenient to be closer to the waterfront, i.e. Intercontinental or even on the HK side, i.e. MO Landmark, particularly for evening activities.

Originally Posted by phol
My opinion:

Ritz-Carlton - too far away from pretty much anything. April is also often cloudy and you may be left looking at little more than a grey window.

Peninsula - far away from most things you're likely to want to see, other than the HK skyline view. Right in the middle of mainland tourist shopping heaven/hell (depending how you look at it). Service is also not quite as polished as the very best hotels.

Four Season - i think it needs a refresh. Nice, but not as nice as the two Mandarin properties.

Landmark and MO are pretty similar in some ways. They are both excellent. Choose the Landmark if you prefer modern, choose the MO if you prefer classic.
Visited 3 of 4 and would agree with these assessments in terms of location, though of course I did not have an opportunity to see the rooms. IMO the Landmark had the best location of all. I only wish that any one of them was within my travel budget.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Reverting back, i just wanted to thank everyone for last year's advice. Really enjoyed my stay at the Langham Place which was a bargain for the price.
Thanks for checking back. But when did you stay? Was it called Cordis when you stayed?

I too had thought highly of Langham Place. But a recent stay was disappointing. There was a significant drop-off from a few years ago. Bell boys just standing around doing nothing to help you. Being put up in the wrong room type the first night, then needing to change rooms, and then getting nothing besides a curt apology. Housekeeping very stingy with toiletries and not thorough enough with cleaning. Not sure if this is the direction the hotel is headed with the rebranding to Cordis. Mind you, this was the first time for me staying in a few years, so I'm not in a position to observe any trend. Also, we only paid ~$1600 per night for the Deluxe King. For that price, I would stay there again. But it's definitely not a 5-star hotel anymore.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by Boraxo
The location adjoining the mall was great and close to subway though as a tourist I think it would have been more convenient to be closer to the waterfront, i.e. Intercontinental or even on the HK side, i.e. MO Landmark, particularly for evening activities.
Just FYI - the IC is actually very INCONVENIENT to most things. It's a trek to the MTR and nothing stops there (not even the paid airport shuttle or the free airport express shuttle). And now that the Avenue of the Stars is closed for the next couple years, you really need to leave the property to do anything.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
Just FYI - the IC is actually very INCONVENIENT to most things. It's a trek to the MTR and nothing stops there (not even the paid airport shuttle or the free airport express shuttle). And now that the Avenue of the Stars is closed for the next couple years, you really need to leave the property to do anything.
agreed. for those that think the Ritz is out of the way, the IC is really out of the way IMO but then frankly, the Ritz is one stop on the MTR and when it comes to HKG, I certainly don't cheap out about taking a taxi or two...

i have stayed at the MO and LMO and the rates I am getting at the RC are better than our negotiated company rates at either of these so it's worth a go. FS does not appear to have bother to negotiate anything with us...again....
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Aventine
The style might look older but it's top notch materials. Definitely more luxurious in person.
I would certainly concur with this. Some of the boutiquee places seem to have cheap stuff that gets worn easily....if you look closely.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by mkjr
I would certainly concur with this. Some of the boutiquee places seem to have cheap stuff that gets worn easily....if you look closely.
Don't go for less than a Herman Miller Chair at the desk and you will be safe.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by AtomicLush
Disagree. I've timed lobby to Tsuen Wan line platform time for IC, Island Shangri-la and Kowloon Shangri-la... it's all pretty much the same (all ~7min give/take 30sec). IC hasn't had the direct access to the Ave of Stars for a while now anyways, so the Ave of Stars' closure doesn't change the time it takes from the lobby to the waterfront... just 4-5min. Sogo is only 4min away, Star Ferry also quick to get to via Salisbury.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.