Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hiking Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2014, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by papyPiHi
Another option would be Tai O to Po Lin, this way you combine a hike with both visits of the monastery and the fishermen's village :-)

It's part of the Lantau trail I believe
With a 4 year old? Po Lin is at around 500 m altitude.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
... and there are some other intermediate hills, so you'd be doing at least 750m (2500 feet) of climbing to walk along the Lantau Trail from Tai O to the Po Lin Monastery.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by HKtraveller
Dragon's back from the bus stop is just 150 m up and 350 m downhill (elevation), the distance is about 8 km. It is a nice hike on a weekday, but with kids you will need significantly more than 1.5 h (I'd carry a 4 yo after he gets too impatient).

HK trail from the peak is easier (no hills unless you want to do them) and also much easier and faster to get to.

For Dragon's back you will need to go to Shau Kei Wan MTR station and take Bus number 9 from there. Back from Big wave bay there is a Minibus. To the Peak I suggest the peak tram at least one way.

For the weather, you always can catch a misty day, but it is not mostly misty as is Lantau Peak.
Thanks a lot. Is there an abridged version (up to 4-5km walk total) of Dragon's Back that might work for us and still covers the highlights?

I've done the HK trail from the Peak to the reservoir before kids, have done the Lugard-Harlech loop with the kids. Now looking to do something different on our next visit, and I'm just really intrigued by the pictures I see of a trail along the ridge with slope on either side and the ocean as backdrop.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:46 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Which trails are the most scenic? (think photography)

Thanks.
My favorites for views and scenery, in no order
- MacLehose 2
- Wilson 3
- Wilson 4
- MacLehose 5/ Lion Rock
- Wu Kau Tan to Lai Chi Wo / Bride's Pool area
- Wilson 8
Old Nov 1, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: Too many...
One of my favourites is to catch the minibus from Sai Kung to the Sai Wan Pavilion and doing the walk past Tai Long Wan to Pak Tam Au.

If you want to cut the journey off at around 7km rather than doing the full walk then you can catch the ferry back from Chek Keng Hau to Wong Shek Pier.

I am fairly unfit but can comfortably achieve this without much in the way of consequence other than working up a sweat!

Some stunning views of the beaches and bays to be had.

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/...g-wan-hike.jsp

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/comm...02-saikung.pdf
Old Nov 1, 2014, 7:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flyersj18
If you want to cut the journey off at around 7km rather than doing the full walk then you can catch the ferry back from Chek Keng Hau to Wong Shek Pier.
Yes, but this will only be quicker than walking on to Pak Tam Au if you time it well - the ferry is hardly frequent! (Once an hour on weekends, 4-5 times per day during the week.)
Old Nov 1, 2014, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
- MacLehose 2
- Wilson 3
- Wilson 4
- MacLehose 5/ Lion Rock
- Wilson 8
This is great. I'll have to investigate all of these trails. Which one's most suitable for a hike of up to 2hrs (2hr walk + rest/snack time) with 4yo and 5yo in tow? We don't have to complete an entire stage of the trail.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 7:13 pm

Programs: Too many...
Originally Posted by christep
Yes, but this will only be quicker than walking on to Pak Tam Au if you time it well - the ferry is hardly frequent! (Once an hour on weekends, 4-5 times per day during the week.)
Very true, but it's not usually too difficult to time, and there is also the possibility of a kaito, even more so at the weekend.

Moreover having done the hill climb sometimes it's quite pleasant to just have a seat and wait for the boat rather than complete the trek to Pak Tam Au...
Old Nov 1, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
- MacLehose 2
- Wilson 3
- Wilson 4
- MacLehose 5/ Lion Rock
- Wilson 8
Thanks. I will check some of them out on my next trip. I had done Lion Rock and enjoyed that.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Instead of the Lantau Trail, there's the old path that goes between Tai O and Po Lin Monastery, passing through several other monasteries. It's less vigorous if going uphill than the Lantau Trail, and basically a Sunday stroll if going downhill.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:07 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by evergrn
This is great. I'll have to investigate all of these trails. Which one's most suitable for a hike of up to 2hrs (2hr walk + rest/snack time) with 4yo and 5yo in tow? We don't have to complete an entire stage of the trail.
Probably none, altough, as you say you don't have to complete the entire trail.
Wilson 3 can easily be reached by public transport and taxi from You Tong to O King Rd or via TKO or TKL to TKO Chinese Cemetery. Other trails can be shorted as well.

There are several family trails at Wu Kau Tan. There are also a couple of easy, scenic hikes at the Wong Shek area.

This site (which is terrible to navigate) lists a lot of HK trails and their categories, including family trails/ nature trails which are usually suitable for kids.
http://hiking.gov.hk/eng/trail_list/type.htm

Last edited by Chinatrvl; Nov 3, 2014 at 4:14 am
Old Nov 3, 2014, 10:49 pm

Thanks, Chinatrvl. And thanks for the link. I'll read up more on Wilson Trail 3.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
For the locals, I am going to be in HK from Feb. 16-24. I would like to take a hike or two but am concerned about crowds from the Chinese New Year. I was wondering if the trails are normally extra crowded before/during/after the holiday. Need to make plans with some friends in advance so was wondering if anyone had advice on what period around the new year is normally best avoided?
Old Nov 6, 2014, 10:41 am
Suspended

My guess would be:

Mon-Wed 16-18 will be not crowded.
Thu-Fri 19-20 (1st 2 days of LNY) are holidays and will be a bit busier but not very crowded due to family visiting traditions.
Sat-Sun 21-22 will be pretty crowded on the popular trails
Mon-Tue 23-24 will be not crowded
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.