First time visiting Hong Kong

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: american advantage, hyatt gold passport, SPG, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors,Priority Club

First time to hong kong and actually first time in Asia. Wondering what are the best things to see and do? I like gourmet food and also looking for local hidden gems
Any suggestions would be great. I will be staying in Kowloon and Hong Kong island and will be there for 6 nights total
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by mvgirl100
First time to hong kong and actually first time in Asia. Wondering what are the best things to see and do? I like gourmet food and also looking for local hidden gems
Any suggestions would be great. I will be staying in Kowloon and Hong Kong island and will be there for 6 nights total
Last week I had a preplanned six hour layover in HKG to go out to shop trinkets and eat. Alas, the demonstrations precluded such a visit. So make sure the situation is in control and you have a plan B to get back just in case.....
We used HOHO buses on previous visits. Good value.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 1:51 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The world's cheapest Michelin starred restaurant is in Kowloon (Tim Ho Wan). If your budget is higher (much higher), try Ming Court at Langham Place Hotel. As for local hidden gems, they are on every block but you have to do the looking. Fascinating place and very safe.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by number_6
The world's cheapest Michelin starred restaurant is in Kowloon (Tim Ho Wan). If your budget is higher (much higher), try Ming Court at Langham Place Hotel. As for local hidden gems, they are on every block but you have to do the looking. Fascinating place and very safe.
I wouldn't do Tim Ho Wan. Its highly overrated and only the BBQ pork bun is nice. Instead of Ming Court, I would recommend you try Lung King Heen @ Four Seasons. Requires advance reservations (at least a month or 6 months if you want a window seat). ^
Old Oct 10, 2014, 2:17 am

My top five favorites in HKG are

1. Happy Valley race track at Wednesday Night
Even if you are not into gambling it is fascinating. Good to be combined with a nice dinner in central

2. End-to-end Ding Ding ride in central http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_Tramways

3. Ferry ride from Central to Tsim Tsa Tsui (TST) and vice verse. Good to combine with a walk at the avenue of stars" in TST

4. Nathan road at TST

5. Peak
Typically for tourists to use the Peak tram. But often long waiting times. You can also use the bus or taxi to get to the peak station. There is a pathway up and down the peak as well. Where a nice viewing point (free of charge) is otherwise you can pay to get at the top of peak station.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 3:57 am

Programs: BA
My fd runs a local food tour in hk.
http://www.hongkongfoodietours.com/about/
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:06 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by number_6
Is the Tim Ho Wan near Mongkok closed for good?
Old Oct 10, 2014, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HMPS
Last week I had a preplanned six hour layover in HKG to go out to shop trinkets and eat. Alas, the demonstrations precluded such a visit. So make sure the situation is in control and you have a plan B to get back just in case.....
We used HOHO buses on previous visits. Good value.
How so? Mongkok is easy enough to give a "pass", I'm not aware of any compelling attractions in Causeway Bay, and Central/Admiralty have remained accessible as long as you don't fancy using taxis.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 1:28 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
As Moondog says, HMPS provided duff information, from afar, and missed out
This thread is here to help visitors Flyertalk-style using local knowledge, with local resident feet on the ground
Indeed some people might relish the photo opportunity of a new piece of history in the making at the protest sites

Here you can see the current Michelin starred restaurants in Hong Kong:
http://www.discoverhongkong.com/us/d...elin-guide.jsp

Wine and Dine Festival
http://www.discoverhongkong.com/us/s...e-festival.jsp

Top 10
http://www.discoverhongkong.com/us/s...ions/index.jsp
Must see are the Big Buddha/cable car, Ocean Park

Arty
http://www.discoverhongkong.com/us/s...ance/index.jsp

http://rthk.hk/rthk/news/englishnews...56_1044660.htm
German president praises HK protesters
11-10-2014
Germany's president has praised Hong Kong's student protesters, comparing them to the protesters who stood up to the communist dictatorship in East Germany 25 years ago.
President Joachim Gauck spoke at an event commemorating one of the biggest demonstrations in the city of Leipzig on October 9, 1989, which called for freedom and democracy.
None of those taking part could have known for sure whether authorities would opt for a ``Chinese solution'' and violently crush dissent as happened on Beijing's Tiananmen Square months earlier, he said. ``But they came anyway: tens of thousands overcame their fear of their oppressors, because their longing for freedom was greater.''
Mr Gauck, a one-time Protestant pastor who himself was involved in the protest movement, said the experience of East Germany showed how important it was to defend democracy even today.
``The young protesters in Hong Kong have understood this very well,'' Germany's head of state said. Students in the semi-autonomous city have been protesting for weeks against China's restrictions on the first direct election for Hong Kong's leader, promised by Beijing for 2017.
Mr Gauck's comment came a day before a German-Chinese government summit in Berlin, in which China's Premier Li Keqiang will take part.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 3:09 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by agp423
Is the Tim Ho Wan near Mongkok closed for good?
The original has closed down.

He has retained his Sham Shui Po restaurant (is this his flagship one now?) and opened one in Tai Kok Tsui, which is west of Mong Kok.

There is a branch in IFC as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.