Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Is the airport express MTR affected by Occupy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VS Gold

Hello

I have a 4 hour layover next Friday evening.

Traditionally I love to hop on the MTR to Hong Kong, catch the star ferry across the harbour round trip, then head back to the airport. If time allows I might add a little wander...

Do you think this will be risky on a Friday evening based on last weekend's crowds and public transport delays?

Thank you FTers!
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
No delays for this route. Airport Express and Star Ferry both run per schedule. In fact I think Star Ferry has increased frequencies to cope with increased demand.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 8:43 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Airport Express and MTR on HK Island were business as usual when I took them 2 days ago. But things could change depending on when and what the next step each side is going to take.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
To the OP, looks like you're only planning to take the Airport Express. There is no effect on this line, whatsoever. [We usually just refer to the Airport Express as such, or as "AE". "MTR" usually refers to the other lines, even though Airport Express IS built and run by MTR.]

Anyways, MTR urban line trains start their morning peak hour schedule a bit earlier, at 7:15a. That's the only change in schedule.

Also, Island Line between Causeway Bay and Sheung Wan are much more crowded during rush hour. For example, if you're trying to get on a westbound train at Causeway Bay or Wan Chai at 6p or 6:30p, you may have to wait for 4-5 trains before getting on.

These don't affect the OP.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS Gold
Thank you , all. Now I just have to worry about the CX pilots' industrial action!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.