Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying duty free liquor in HKG

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:12 am

Programs: CX GO, BA Gold, OZ*G, IHG Spire RA
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Ah I didn't know that about departing ex-HKG. I figured it was like departing ex-NRT where you can carry it onboard as long as it's sealed (although when I bought it this spring they didn't even bother with that - I could've easily taken it out of the bag it was in but that's another story). I'll just bring my "Wine Diapers" in that case and pack them nice and tight in my checked bag.
Yeah it is something to do with the security regulations at HKG not meeting some sort of standard. It's no problem for me to hand carry to Canada though. With good packaging and packed as you described you will have no problems. I've packed alcohol in checked bags dozens of times and never once had anything break or spill (knock wood).
Old Dec 1, 2014, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by DieselYVR
Yeah it is something to do with the security regulations at HKG not meeting some sort of standard. It's no problem for me to hand carry to Canada though. With good packaging and packed as you described you will have no problems. I've packed alcohol in checked bags dozens of times and never once had anything break or spill (knock wood).
No, HK security is good. It is a show for the Americans as they have a standard about liquids which is different from the rest of the world and HKIA DFS would rather sell all the red wine and liquor they can.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
For Single Malt Whiskey or alcohol, it generally goes as below

TPE Town = TPE Airport < HKG Airport < HKG Town (Most Expensive)
Anything over 30% VOL is taxed at 100% in HK.
The expensive ones can be cheaper in Macau as they tax 10% plus MOP 20 per liter. Anything under 30% alcohol is duty free in both places.
So if you buy a lot a trip to Macau and from there to HKG by ferry can be worth it (You arrive airside).
Old Dec 2, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Ah I didn't know that about departing ex-HKG. I figured it was like departing ex-NRT where you can carry it onboard as long as it's sealed (although when I bought it this spring they didn't even bother with that - I could've easily taken it out of the bag it was in but that's another story). I'll just bring my "Wine Diapers" in that case and pack them nice and tight in my checked bag.
All US bound flight has special secondary security and they specifically say no duty free alcohol

Ah okay - that's good to know. Is it safe to assume I could get Yamazaki 18 (or others) at Mitsukoshi or Matsuya on Ginza?
Ya, and be frank, I would try some exotic ones. Mejiro Tanakaya (cash only) is an awesome whiskey shop that you should pay a visit (http://tanakaya.cognacfan.com/ , https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place/...06d5b12a27dc1d )

信濃屋 is also a nice place to find whiskey. I like their Shinjuku branch ( https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place/...e516b949c07144 ) more, they also carry some private bottler products, also Bic-Camera major branch (e.g at Ikebukuro) has alcohol section which at the same time, carry some interesting whiskeys
Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by ChrisLi
also Bic-Camera major branch (e.g at Ikebukuro) has alcohol section which at the same time, carry some interesting whiskeys
That was a surprise while looking at camera and lenses when I was at BIC! I guess it is easier to make me smile with a glass bottle of whisky than optical glass.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: AA- Million Miler, DL,
I drink and collect whisky - both Single Malt and Bourbon/Ryes. Is Hong Kong similar to Japan, in that Japan often imports interesting bourbons not available in the US? Duty free is interesting to me only for the Travel retail only bottlings not available elsewhere. Are there any particularly good stores worth seeking out while we visit in November?
Old Sep 5, 2015, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by RhodyRed
Is Hong Kong similar to Japan, in that Japan often imports interesting bourbons not available in the US?
No. You will see the typical brands and choices.

Are there any particularly good stores worth seeking out while we visit in November?
Not really. Hong Kong is not a good place to find interesting alcohol anyway, as they are all imported and expensive due to tax.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 10:17 pm

Programs: CX GO, BA Gold, OZ*G, IHG Spire RA
I drink and collect whisky - both Single Malt and Bourbon/Ryes. Is Hong Kong similar to Japan, in that Japan often imports interesting bourbons not available in the US? Duty free is interesting to me only for the Travel retail only bottlings not available elsewhere. Are there any particularly good stores worth seeking out while we visit in November?
If you're interested in trying some of the private bottling choices you could check out The Whiskey Library in Landmark.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

While maybe not relevant to this thread, in Shanghai we have

http://www.smartshanghai.com/venue/7...e_walker_house

...and, I assume they have stores in other cities. Can be extremely expensive though, from what I've heard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.