Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

7 hour layover in HKG and want to nip into town, how easy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2014, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Apologies if this is slightly OT vis a vis Asia Miles, but...

I am flying to SYD through HKG arriving on BA and leaving on CX. I have a 7 hour 15 minute layover and wonder if it is feasible to go and have some lunch in town?

Ideally I would like to leave hand baggage in the Wing and go landside and take the train.

Is this relatively easy to do? Do I have enough time?

I am a One World Emerald (BA Gold) and travelling with my wife who has no status in J.

I would certainly appreciate any tips form locals on the process at the airport for doing this (or to be told I am crazy!).

Cheers

Pye

Last edited by Pyeinthesky; Feb 15, 2014 at 8:03 am
Old Feb 15, 2014, 8:29 am

I suggest that this thread be moved to the local HK forum as you can get more insight there, but i'll answer regardless.

It's actually very easy and you have plenty of time but 7 hours just to have lunch in town is a bit much don't you think?!

You can't leave your luggage in a restricted area and head into town. There is a luggage storage pre-security where you can leave your bags. I believe the fee is minimal.

Have lunch at Tsim Sha Tsui or Kowloon for an hour or two, then whatever you do after that is up to you! Shopping, sightseeing, etc. You have plenty of time to do all of those things. Make sure you're back at the airport 3 hours before departure.

Hope that helps. Cheers
Old Feb 15, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
Yes this will be very easy. Exit through immigration, walk through customs (a total breeze) and follow the signs to the train (about a 1 minute walk from customs). Take the train to the Kowloon station and you will come out right under the W hotel. I don't think you can leave your bags at the CX lounge, but you can check them at the bell desk of the W if you want to, just tip a few bucks since you aren't staying there. If they ask your room number just say you haven't checked in yet (the truth, of course).

I don't take that train very often so I don't remember the time back and forth. Maybe 30-40 minutes each way, plus up to 10 minutes of waiting time, roughly?

You could do a lot worse than just having lunch at the W and then strolling around the neighborhood for a while.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/t...t-express.html
Old Feb 15, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
I dont' think OP need to start their 40 minutes (Airport Express) return trip to HKIA 3 hours before their departure time, 2 to 2.5 hours + travel time should be adequate since they will be checked in with BP & only hand luggage, depending on their CX destination.

HK's AE train runs every 10 minutes for its typical 25 minutes journey from HK Station (on the island side) or slightly quicker on the Kowloon (TST West) Station @ Jordan Road (the "W" Hotel is there) - Same Day Return Ticket is $100 HKD p/p or about $13 USD, same as the regular OW Ticket. http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/fares_tickets/tf_index.html Or, take the limited stop Airporter Bus, i.e. Cityflyer's # A21 to Hung Hom, travel time is about 1 hour depending on traffic, ride on the upper deck and up busy Nathan Road with all the shops, get off in TST, do lunch in the area, Star Ferry across to the island & then AE Train back to the aiport. Many possibilities with a total of 7+ hours, assuming flight is on time/early & weather is good, as public transport in HK is super efficient & reliable, 97.5% of the time.

If it's strictly for lunch - depending on what they want to eat or sample in terms of cuisine, OP can explore & choose one or more restaurant or other dining options inside HKIA after arrival, and keep the hand luggage with them, and head for the lounge.

Nearby Tung Chung's CityGate Outlet Mall, quick 5 to 10 minutes away by inexpensive taxi or local bus, popularized by cash-rich Chinese mainlanders, is an interesting alternative - food court upstairs & upscale Vietnamese & Shanghaiese restaurants on-site, plus Novotel Hotel w. 4 on-site restaurants of its own (Asian Fusion lunch buffet is $158 HKD p/p + 10% service charge only & no tax) http://www.citygateoutlets.com.hk/ho...e.aspx?lang=EN http://www.novotelcitygate.com/restaurants-bars/

Assuming that OP use the faster AE trains to get into the city & back out, should have 3.5 to 4 hours to do lunch plus limited sightseeing & photos. Aside from eating lunch inside the W Hotel, there isn't much else to do around the immediate area, unless they head up Jordan Road toward Nathan Road for a better feel on the Kowloon side of the once British colony. The Stickys on top have plenty of ideas & suggestions, please try to take a bit time to read/scan some of them. My feeling is that they can do much better go to the Hong Kong side, come out of the HK Station, do a bit of walking around surrounded by tall skyscappers, pick a nearby place for lunch, take the (shortened harbour) Star Ferry across the water to the Kowloon side. More than enough time to catch some fresh air, take a short taxi ride to the Kowloon Station for AE ride back to HKIA.

Checking the hand luggage & getting them again for their departure would take extra 15 to 20 minutes, if traveling light enough with what they are packing - just take them into town, and mind the valuables as common sense precaution in any cities.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Feb 15, 2014 at 1:16 pm Reason: edit typo's, etc.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Very useful info so far, thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I am delighted that the consensus is that it is possible to do this relatively easily.

I have been to Hong Kong a few times, but my wife only went there once many years ago and would like to spend a short time there to break the journey before we head for SYD overnight, so we probably will head to town and take the Star Ferry.

We will have 5 hours on the way home to enjoy The Wing and all the joys that HKG airport has to offer, so will not rush to get back there, we'll aim to be airside 2 hours before the flight I should think.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 5:41 pm

Key time issues are immigration line and baggage. Immigration lines may take as long as 30-40 minutes, it's really hit and miss. Maybe others can help given you arrival time, as I use my SARS ID card to enter/exit each visit.

Once you clear formalities, taking train to Central station,wonder IFC complex to eat, stroll, window shop. Assume you have boarding passes to connecting flights so you can return 45 min before flight time, and have plenty of time to clear exit formalities.

Bags - if carryon, there is luggage storage at airport but about 10 min walk away. Or bring with you n check with Four Seasons concierge with nice gratuity.

Other option is at Central, take elevated walk way to mandarin hotel, drop off bags, and wander central, landmark complex area.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Buy same-day return Airport Express tickets and head straight to the HK Station in Central. Don't get off at Kowloon or go to the W. You want to see Hong Kong, not just a shopping mall.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rkkwan
Buy same-day return Airport Express tickets and head straight to the HK Station in Central. Don't get off at Kowloon or go to the W. You want to see Hong Kong, not just a shopping mall.
I second this! 7 hrs is plenty of time and going straight to HK station is the way to go. Then as Letitride3c suggested take the star ferry over to Kowloon and walk around the avenue of the stars or Nathan road for a bit. Once finished grab a taxi over to the Kowloon airport express.

As others have said getting to the airport 2 hrs or so before your flight should be plenty of time.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: AA, UA, SPG, UR, IHG, HH, BA, CC
Third. Airport Express is incredibly efficient. Just came back from HKG, and immigration took all of twenty minutes after leaving the plane. Get dim sum at Tim Ho Wan - cheapest Michelen rated food in the world!
Old Feb 24, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by rkkwan
+1. Not sure why one would want to get off at Kowloon, where all there is in immediate vicinity is a huge mall with western shops.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
+1. Not sure why one would want to get off at Kowloon, where all there is in immediate vicinity is a huge mall with western shops.
Some visitors like to get off at Kowloon so they can go up to the Ritz Carlton and enjoy the stunning harbour views from the bar/restaurant there. Obviously only worth doing on a clear day.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:53 am

The same question was asked here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hong-...area-hkia.html
Old Mar 5, 2014, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Clipper801
Thanks for that, there was an interesting link there http://layoverhk.com/layover-time/

We will be there tomorrow afternoon so we plan to get the express to central and find a nice dim sum around there or hop on the star ferry to Kowloon and eat there.

I just hope it's not raining when we get there as I have been chasing the blessed stuff around Europe the last few weeks!
Old Mar 5, 2014, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
If you are at Central AE the authentic "traditional" Dim Sum place will be Lin Heung on Wellington St (160) it is on the corner at Aberdeen St. "蓮香樓" Show the Chinese name to the taxi driver.
Walk back east on Wellington and you will get to Mak's noodle, "麥奀雲吞麵世家" many consider it the best wanton noodle in HK.
Up the hill on Aberdeen street to Gough St is Kau Kee "九記牛腩", the best beef brisket noodle.

The only missing HK food experience will be the two versions of BBQ pork, Roast duck and congee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.