Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

What to do for four hours at HKG airport (after arriving)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2013, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Hi guys,

I'll be flying CX for the first time, and going to HKG for the first time ! I'll be flying in J, and will be arriving in HKG late in the afternoon.

When I arrive however, I have to wait for another pax, who won't be arriving for another three to four hours. Thus, if you could share you wisdom about some fun things to do at HKG airport during that three to four hour wait that would be very helpful!

I believe I have access to CX's The Arrival Lounge, but I'm not sure about the others (Pier, Cabin etc.) as HKG is my final destination. Is there anything else that I should keep an eye out for?

Thanks
Old Sep 5, 2013, 6:31 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by afuturefrequentflyer
Hi guys,

I'll be flying CX for the first time, and going to HKG for the first time ! I'll be flying in J, and will be arriving in HKG late in the afternoon.

When I arrive however, I have to wait for another pax, who won't be arriving for another three to four hours. Thus, if you could share you wisdom about some fun things to do at HKG airport during that three to four hour wait that would be very helpful!

I believe I have access to CX's The Arrival Lounge, but I'm not sure about the others (Pier, Cabin etc.) as HKG is my final destination. Is there anything else that I should keep an eye out for?

Thanks
there's a nifty 9 hole golf course attached to the airport complex. It's about $400 HKD to play (cheaper at night, or if you're "airport staff" - which they consider all Marco Polo Club members). You also save $20 or $40 something if you're a HK resident. Free shuttle to/from the airport just call them to arrange a time. http://www.nine-eagles.com/eng/. It's a 3-4 minute drive from the bus bay, which is located in Terminal 2 near The Arrival. You can rent clubs and golf shoes from them for a nominal fee if you don't have yours with you. 7 par 3s and 2 par 4s. Very narrow and although a few of the holes are ridiculously easy, they've got a few that can land you in trouble quickly if your shot isn't spot on (including a hole surrounded by water and another basically surrounded by traps). Quirky and fun, and reasonably well kept. Plus planes landing or taking off every few minutes. There are lockers and free showers at the course. They've also got a slight-overpriced but tasty Thai restaurant at the golf course. I know people who work in Central HK and go out to the airport course for just a few beers and Thai food. True story.

There's also a few decent restaurants and the lounge at the airport.

If you're looking for Chinese food there is actually quasi-decent dim sum at a place over in Terminal 2, as well as one upstairs on the departure level of Terminal 1. Crystal Jade is another Chinese option downstairs at the arrivals level of Terminal 1.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Smile

Hi!

Go to Terminal 2 , there's a cinema and other things to do there. Basically like a shopping mall. If you want to do some proper shopping then you could get the MTR to Tsing Yi where CityGate outlets is. It's not that far and you could make it there and back within the 4 hours.

What ever you decide, have fun. I go every year to HK to visit my grandmother and I still haven't run out of things to do there!
Old Sep 5, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
I suggest that you jump on the Airport Express and take the train into Central (get out at the terminus, Hong Kong Station). Costs HKD 100 each way and takes 25 minutes (again, each way). That way, you can actually get out a bit, even see Victoria Harbour etc. If you have up to four hours, there is no problem and, with a bit of research, you will actually be able to at least see something of the city.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
The main discussion is on what to do during those hours in Hong Kong. I am moving the discussion to the HK forum.

cxfan1960
CX Mod
Old Sep 5, 2013, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by DernierVirage
I suggest that you jump on the Airport Express and take the train into Central (get out at the terminus, Hong Kong Station). Costs HKD 100 each way and takes 25 minutes (again, each way). .
Same day return should be 100HKD
Old Sep 5, 2013, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I suggest that you jump on the Airport Express and take the train into Central (get out at the terminus, Hong Kong Station). Costs HKD 100 each way and takes 25 minutes (again, each way). That way, you can actually get out a bit, even see Victoria Harbour etc. If you have up to four hours, there is no problem and, with a bit of research, you will actually be able to at least see something of the city.
Originally Posted by Mrtnw
Same day return should be 100HKD
$100 one way, complimentary same day return on same ticket or Octapus card (Doot!)

As to riding into Central, it depends on time of day and day of the week.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/getting_ar...om_return.html

Last edited by tentseller; Sep 5, 2013 at 4:59 pm
Old Sep 5, 2013, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tentseller
$100 one way, complimentary same day return on same ticket or Octapus card (Doot!)

As to riding into Central, it depends on time of day and day of the week.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/getting_ar...om_return.html
You have to get a same day return ticket if you are going back on the same day. A simple one way ticket may not work. It happened to me once, though the staff was kind enough to give a ticket to pass through the gate.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 10:54 pm

Programs: CX Silver, QFF Bronze, Mabuhay Miles
Not really that exciting hanging around airports, even Hong Kong. After you collect your bags and exit, there is a shopping mall in Terminal 2 (just a short walk across the terminal - follow the signs). Yes, you will have access to The Arrivals lounge, but that is small and not much to do in there really. There is a cinema in there (if that suits). There are some good restaurants up on the check-in level if you want some good food. I would be doing everything I can not to stay around the airport. You almost have enough time to go into Central (as noted by previous posters, HK$100 same day return) and then come back to the airport. There would want to be a very good reason for me to hang around the airport for four hours.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by QRC3288
there's a nifty 9 hole golf course attached to the airport complex. It's about $400 HKD to play (cheaper at night, or if you're "airport staff" - which they consider all Marco Polo Club members). You also save $20 or $40 something if you're a HK resident. Free shuttle to/from the airport just call them to arrange a time. http://www.nine-eagles.com/eng/.
http://www.nine-eagles.com/eng/overview/fee.html#02

Interesting, there's basically 2 price.
- One for HKID holders, and one for non-HKID holders.
- HKID holders are $80/160 cheaper.
- It's cheaper for day golf, not evening.

Where does the MPO / FFP discount come into play?
Or do MPO/FFP basically pay the HKID rate, even if they are non-HKID holders?
Old Sep 7, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Kip64
Go to Terminal 2 , there's a cinema and other things to do there. Basically like a shopping mall. If you want to do some proper shopping then you could get the MTR to Tsing Yi where CityGate outlets is. It's not that far and you could make it there and back within the 4 hours.
The Ciygate outlet shopping mall is actually in Tung Chung (not Tsing Yi) which is a short bus or cab ride away. It tends to be full of mainlanders in a shopping frenzy but there are some reasonable shops (Kate Spade, Coach, Adidas to name a few) there as well as a decent food court.

The cinema at the airport is an IMAX and pretty decent so worth a visit if you're bored waiting for the arrival of your friend. Starbucks in T2 is quieter and more comfortable than the ones in T1 so you get a lot of people killing time there, especially if you can grab one of the comfy seats.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 9:20 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bibbju
The Ciygate outlet shopping mall is actually in Tung Chung (not Tsing Yi) which is a short bus or cab ride away. It tends to be full of mainlanders in a shopping frenzy but there are some reasonable shops (Kate Spade, Coach, Adidas to name a few) there as well as a decent food court.
Although I think the Citygate food court is awful, there is a supermarket in the basement, should you also disapprove. There's a money changer available too.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 10:51 pm

Why would the OP do that during those 3 or 4 hours, if (s)he is going to spend time in HK after the passenger arrives? It's not as if (s)he is on a stop-over and will never visit HK again...
Old Sep 10, 2013, 3:41 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Koby
Why would the OP do that during those 3 or 4 hours, if (s)he is going to spend time in HK after the passenger arrives? It's not as if (s)he is on a stop-over and will never visit HK again...
+1!
read peeps..

I'd say, drop by Arrivals, let them keep your luggage, shower up, grab a bite (not the best food in town but neither is anything in the airport complex), go to terminal 2 do bum around for a few hours with those shops. if you still have time to burn, go to terminal 1 departures for some window shopping. if you STILL have time then go back to the lounge before picking your friend up.

yes, it will be a long 4 hours at the airport... can you wait for your friend at the hotel instead?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kaka
yes, it will be a long 4 hours at the airport... can you wait for your friend at the hotel instead?
I was waiting for someone else to make this suggestion before jumping into this thread because I always feel guilty about being the insensitive poster, but unless the arriving passenger was a small child, my mom, or my grandma, I'd tell them to find me in Wanch. After a long flight, who in their right mind wouldn't prefer lounging by the pool at the GH to hanging around the airport?

(When I was in my 20s, I frequently went to extraordinary efforts to please girlfriends with airport pick-ups/drop-offs, but I decided to take my chances with "No" on a hectic day ~8 years ago, and discovered that the world was still turning... this has been my stance, ever since.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.