Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2020, 11:00 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I think housekeeping would be shortchanged with just $3/day. Since we do tip well, I guess we don't realize that many people tip less or not at all, so maybe it's a good thing for them. Especially in Hawaii, I really appreciate a refreshed room and lots of towels.

I've never been to the GW buffet breakfast (Sunday Brunch once) because the last time we were there you could use your credit anywhere at any time so we would just get pastries and coffee at Café Kula every day. But I'm not sure how you expect a breakfast buffet to be different every day? I think it's up to you to take what you want - one day eggs, one day waffles, etc. so don't "you" make it different? Not counting outside the US, what hotels change up their breakfast offerings on a daily basis? We're traveling with grandkids so we're hoping to just get our 2 included breakfasts to go every day and just feed them in the room - no sense paying a big upcharge at the buffet because they're going to want what they see then not eat half of it. Maybe just the last day for a treat.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by betonic
We’ve upgraded breakfast both days for $19 but the buffet is not that exciting and so far as been identical both days. We might try some other breakfast spots.
Go up to Island Gourmet in the shopping center and grab some breakfast there ... way cheaper and probably better than the food at GW.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kthpence
Go up to Island Gourmet in the shopping center and grab some breakfast there ... way cheaper and probably better than the food at GW.
This is, indeed, the single best "money saving" tip for Wailea. The overall market is overpriced, but the hot food selection is surprisingly affordable and fairly tasty. And it's a nice less-than-ten-minute walk in the morning. It's also not a bad place to feed a family in the evening with things like $12 steak.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 3:34 pm

Programs: Aeromexico Platinum and AA Exec Platinum
Some of furniture has stains, the outside furniture is very tired.

We don’t have kids so the pool structure isn’t appealing to us.

We’ve been to Island Market for some Super Bowl snacks.

Regarding the buffet, I‘m sorry you disagree with me but I feel that a $47 dollar buffet should be better. Food is subjective and to each is own. I came here to be helpful but not defend my position.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 3:57 pm

I don't "disagree" with you about the buffet because I have never partaken of it there, I just was curious that your criticism was that it was the same every day. I certainly agree that $47 for a regular breakfast buffet (not a fancy brunch) is ridiculous.

And we loved the pools as two adults, can't wait for the grandkids to see the place!
Old Feb 2, 2020, 4:15 pm

We live at the beach and work for a large resort chain so pools are hard to impress us. I’m sure your grandchildren will love it!
Old Feb 3, 2020, 2:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold - cheapass economy flyer!
Does anyone know how they'd handle breakfast for a diamond with a spouse and two kids 6-10? I guess we could upgrade $19 to full buffet, but would all four be upgraded at that price? If not, how much is the buffet for kids?

Last edited by UsernameChuck; Feb 3, 2020 at 3:58 pm
Old Feb 3, 2020, 3:50 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iahphx
This is, indeed, the single best "money saving" tip for Wailea. The overall market is overpriced, but the hot food selection is surprisingly affordable and fairly tasty. And it's a nice less-than-ten-minute walk in the morning. It's also not a bad place to feed a family in the evening with things like $12 steak.
Starbucks next door at the Marriott is also a good option.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 4:20 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Can the $19 diamond breakfast credit be applied to Sunday brunch? How much is the upcharge?
UsernameChuck likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 6:15 am

When I go to breakfast this morning I’ll ask about kids breakfast and Sunday Brunch upcharge.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by betonic
When I go to breakfast this morning I’ll ask about kids breakfast and Sunday Brunch upcharge.
If you can remember ask what age for kids if you don't mind - we'll have a 12 year old. Thanks.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
If you can remember ask what age for kids if you don't mind - we'll have a 12 year old. Thanks.
you could just call or email them!
smmrfld likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by mctaste
you could just call or email them!
Of course, or just ask when we check in, but betonic is there and said he was going to ask.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold - cheapass economy flyer!
Out of curiosity, I called today to ask about kids and the buffet breakfast. It sounds like they don't have the prices written down... they couldn't tell me anything precise, the amounts I got were, respectively, $19 and "around $20." That is, for our family of four, as Diamonds, I understand that we could upgrade 2 people from continental to buffet ($19 ea) and the 2 kids (6-12) would pay the same or about the same. The concierge did indicate that children over 12 are treated like adults for buffet purposes.

To be clear, I asked the front desk and then the concierge. I didn't ask to be transferred to the restaurant... if there is any fixed practice about this, I guess they would be the ones to know it. Maybe betonic will tell us... or maybe there is no actual answer to these questions, it's just what the waitress decides to charge.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:20 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Around US$20 sounds right as kids aged 6 to 12 pay are charged half of the buffet price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.