Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Tokyo Narita Airport {JPN}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Tokyo Narita Airport {JPN}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:07 am

Japan properties pricing are increasingly more expensive in general. It is not just this.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:01 am

This is true in general and probably in some sectors will increase even more due to the Olympics, the CP NRT has remained flat in their rates which are half of the Hilton. What bites over there is the $ 30.00 extra charge per second person.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Unfortunately the property is becoming quite expensive lately and the 10 % additional service charge doesn't help. Brings the price up to nearly $ 200.00 a night and that's for an advanced booking.
I guess this is a glass half-full/half-empty type of thing (and also not specifically useful), but I was always historically surprised by how cheap this property often was, especially when compared to airport hotels here in the US.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I guess this is a glass half-full/half-empty type of thing (and also not specifically useful), but I was always historically surprised by how cheap this property often was, especially when compared to airport hotels here in the US.
Many Hilton airport properties are much nicer than the Hilton NRT. If the rate is pushing $200 a night, I'd definitely be looking at other area hotels.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy
Many Hilton airport properties are much nicer than the Hilton NRT. If the rate is pushing $200 a night, I'd definitely be looking at other area hotels.
Really? What Hilton airport properties do you have in mind? I certainly can't think of any in the US that provide amenities in line with the pool, fitness center, or breakfast offering of the Hilton NRT, not to speak of Japanese service (and toilets, for that matter). I'm thinking of ORD/BOS/JFK where the price can be $300/400/to-the-Moon depending on how bad the IRROPS are that night and how many DYKWIAs are opening up their clients' wallets.

I get what you're saying - there are cheaper nice hotels on the NRT shuttle bus loop, got it - but in the realm of overpriced/underdelivering airport Hiltons I don't think it's in the top tier, even at the $200 price point.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really? What Hilton airport properties do you have in mind? I certainly can't think of any in the US that provide amenities in line with the pool, fitness center, or breakfast offering of the Hilton NRT, not to speak of Japanese service (and toilets, for that matter). I'm thinking of ORD/BOS/JFK where the price can be $300/400/to-the-Moon depending on how bad the IRROPS are that night and how many DYKWIAs are opening up their clients' wallets.

I get what you're saying - there are cheaper nice hotels on the NRT shuttle bus loop, got it - but in the realm of overpriced/underdelivering airport Hiltons I don't think it's in the top tier, even at the $200 price point.
The pool/onsen is nice and breakfast is nice (though I think $40+ normal rate is on the ridiculous side without the gold benefits). You get past that and what about where you actually spend most of the time - the room? You get a room that isn't as nice as most Hamptons where the decor is almost as old as I am (and in my case, the last one smelled bad). Without those other amenities, most of us wouldn't even stay there if it weren't well priced.

Toilets? Big deal - those fancy tech ones are all over Japan and Korea. While they're cool, I'm certainly not going to pay extra for them.

Yes, the staff provide the wonderful Japanese hospitality, but again, that's also an intangible that any other hotel in the area would likely provide.

The Hilton NRT has generally been an acceptable hotel due to its low cost and being an easy way to get Hilton stays. If it wants to charge a good bit more, then they need a serious renovation IMO.

And not everyone stays at hotels near JFK/ORD/BOS where hotels are already on the expensive side to begin with. I've stayed at plenty of airport Hiltons and Hilton family properties near airports that have been more than adequate and haven't broken the bank. I've found the Hilton SLC airport and Hilton IAD to be good values for the money. Hell, even the HGI at LAX I stayed at last night is nicer.

Bottom line, Hilton NRT is not a $200 a night hotel - even with the pool and breakfast, IMO.

YMMV.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 3:52 pm

I guess we are comparing different things. I am saying that for a major international airport hotel offering many full-service amenities (toilet mention was a joke btw) and within the Hilton portfolio, $200/night isn't ridiculous when looked at against the comparable properties, which include those that I mentioned.

You say that "not everyone stays at hotels near JFK/ORD/BOS where hotels are already on the expensive side" - I would assert that Tokyo and area are pretty expensive as well. I don't think that you're really intending to compare Salt Lake City and Tokyo, are you?

The HGI LAX you mention is $230/night for many upcoming nights btw.

If you break your brand loyalty, you can do better for the price - that is a fact no matter what city or what brand you are talking about!

I was simply saying that, for a full-service Hilton property near a major international airport, the price does not surprise me in absolute terms when judged against the comparable properties. Of course I would always appreciate a great rate - I too have stayed there on ~$100 USD rates - and I hope they return!
Old Mar 18, 2016, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess we are comparing different things. I am saying that for a major international airport hotel offering many full-service amenities (toilet mention was a joke btw) and within the Hilton portfolio, $200/night isn't ridiculous when looked at against the comparable properties, which include those that I mentioned.

You say that "not everyone stays at hotels near JFK/ORD/BOS where hotels are already on the expensive side" - I would assert that Tokyo and area are pretty expensive as well. I don't think that you're really intending to compare Salt Lake City and Tokyo, are you?

The HGI LAX you mention is $230/night for many upcoming nights btw.

If you break your brand loyalty, you can do better for the price - that is a fact no matter what city or what brand you are talking about!

I was simply saying that, for a full-service Hilton property near a major international airport, the price does not surprise me in absolute terms when judged against the comparable properties. Of course I would always appreciate a great rate - I too have stayed there on ~$100 USD rates - and I hope they return!
Fair enough.

My main point that even if $200 is a "value" price for Japan, there are much nicer "value" priced hotels throughout the world. Of course getting the Hilton SLC Airport at less than $60 a night doesn't compare directly on a cost basis. However, for being in the same tier of "value" airport hotels, there's better for the money in that category. I mean, the place doesn't have to be a dump to be a value hotel. Some new carpeting, some paint, a little refresh to the bathrooms and getting rid of that awful stereo system would go a long way, and shouldn't cost too much compared to a full blown remodel, and probably would actually push some more business their way.

Like others have said, it has a great location for watching planes coming/going from NRT and the restaurants are decent. They just need to put some money into the place - especially if they're going to charge more.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Really? What Hilton airport properties do you have in mind? I certainly can't think of any in the US that provide amenities in line with the pool, fitness center, or breakfast offering of the Hilton NRT, not to speak of Japanese service (and toilets, for that matter).
When the Hilton NRT has rates like $200, it's because of the latest "shotgun marriage" craze going on in Japan with hundreds of relatives booking rooms (plus the normal airline crew occupancy), occurring at the same time that the BOJ went negative interest rates. You'll notice the yen strengthened from 123 to 111 in a month and the 8% consumption tax (that used to be 5%.....it all adds up).

Having said that, the best alternative NRT property to that Hilton is the Crowne Plaza (IMHO). Unless the Hilton NRT replaced their toilets so that they are heated (they were never heated there), the CP has the heated toilet, perfume smelling toilet paper, pool, great B-fast spread, etc........lol.

In May (after Golden Week), the rates at the Hilton NRT appear very close to what they used to be.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:49 am

Tokyo Narita Airport Hotel

Started booking a reservation here but noticed that the reward rate changes for every additional adult. I have 3 adults staying but thought as a Diamond, my spouse would be no additional but agree i may have to pay more for the 3rd. When I asked the Hilton reservation desk, they told me that if 2, then spouse is no extra, but if three, then the spouse staying free doesn't apply. Anyone have the same experience?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Spock Seat
When the Hilton NRT has rates like $200, it's because of the latest "shotgun marriage" craze going on in Japan with hundreds of relatives booking rooms (plus the normal airline crew occupancy), occurring at the same time that the BOJ went negative interest rates. You'll notice the yen strengthened from 123 to 111 in a month and the 8% consumption tax (that used to be 5%.....it all adds up).

Having said that, the best alternative NRT property to that Hilton is the Crowne Plaza (IMHO). Unless the Hilton NRT replaced their toilets so that they are heated (they were never heated there), the CP has the heated toilet, perfume smelling toilet paper, pool, great B-fast spread, etc........lol.

In May (after Golden Week), the rates at the Hilton NRT appear very close to what they used to be.
Correct, the ANA CP is a great alternative. Now if IHG only would match Hilton and have the second person ( spouse ) in the room stay free and offer complimentary breakfast. Well, one can only dream...............

Last edited by Exleftseat; Aug 16, 2017 at 6:11 pm
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Correct, the ANA CP is a great alternative. Now if IHG only would match Hilton and have the second person ( spouse ) in the room stay free and offer complimentary breakfast. Well, one can only dream...............
Ever since the Hilton increased its rates quite dramatically, I have switched to the ANA as well; their rates are sometimes HALF of what the Hilton demands. True breakfast is not included - but if you are an IHG elite, you can get a 50% discount for breakfast if you ask at reception. While the ANA breakfast is adequate, I will be the first to admit that the Hilton spread is far better. FWIW, I am an IHG Spire member.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by puchong
Ever since the Hilton increased its rates quite dramatically, I have switched to the ANA as well; their rates are sometimes HALF of what the Hilton demands. True breakfast is not included - but if you are an IHG elite, you can get a 50% discount for breakfast if you ask at reception. While the ANA breakfast is adequate, I will be the first to admit that the Hilton spread is far better. FWIW, I am an IHG Spire member.
Didn't know about the 50% discount available upon asking. Hilton breakfast is fantastic and has even improved after the new GM took over. Unfortunately that is when the rates went up as well.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Hilton breakfast is fantastic and has even improved after the new GM took over. Unfortunately that is when the rates went up as well.
In what way did the breakfast improve?

I thought it was decent before, my main complaint is that they didn't have smoked salmon except in a mix of mostly raw onions.

Last edited by anabolism; Aug 18, 2017 at 3:18 pm Reason: Fix quote tag
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:46 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by dwsebert
Started booking a reservation here but noticed that the reward rate changes for every additional adult. I have 3 adults staying but thought as a Diamond, my spouse would be no additional but agree i may have to pay more for the 3rd. When I asked the Hilton reservation desk, they told me that if 2, then spouse is no extra, but if three, then the spouse staying free doesn't apply. Anyone have the same experience?
your rate increase is due to a switch to a 3P room as opposed to the standard 2P room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.