Go Back   > > >

Old Jan 28, 17, 3:41 am   #616

Programs: Amex Plat et al, IHG A, HH Diamond
My wife and I are staying at the hotel 21st to 26th Feb.

i had no idea that the place closes 2 days later!

We are staying on a combination of Be My Guest certs alongside a couple of paid nights.

We are both Diamond - I take it we need to try and leverage a move to the Towers?

I guess we could also bail on the WA and use the paid nights elsewhere

Last edited by Geoggy; Jan 28, 17 at 3:55 am
Geoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 17, 5:40 am   #617

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, MR Sil, SPG Plus, LC Unlimited, slh, WoH, LH M&M
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRodneyMcKay View Post
.....I do wonder how their service will be impacted by the fact that the hotel is closing in two weeks to become condos. After all, crappy service and the ensuing bad reviews aren't going to matter to that property too much if they're no longer going to be a hotel (and even once they reopen, they can claim the bad reviews were old/outdated)....
It is said that a major part of it will be condos and another part a WA flagged luxury hotel.
submonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 17, 11:11 am   #618

Programs: Delta Skymiles, SPG, IHG Platinum Elite, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards, AGR
Quote:
Originally Posted by submonte View Post
It is said that a major part of it will be condos and another part a WA flagged luxury hotel.
Yeah, I had read something to that effect...but it'll still likely be in no less than two years, so I don't see the hotel being particularly motivated to provide good service.
DrRodneyMcKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 17, 3:19 pm   #619

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M, HHonors Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRodneyMcKay View Post
Thank you, this was super helpful! I'm a Diamond, so hopefully they upgrade me me to a nicer room/suite. Granted, I'm staying on Valentine's day, but that also happens to be a tuesday two weeks before the hotel closes, so I don't imagine they have too much demand. (actually, I checked and the rates seem to have skyrocketed between yesterday and today....interesting how that works).

(...)

Good to know about the restaurant dress code! I'm a business casual at all times type person, but my companion isn't. I guess we'll have to dress up for breakfast, heh.
I was told that there's a lot of demand before closing date so getting upgrade may not be easy.

I wore jeans to breakfast and I don't think anyone cared. Nicer clothes are required from 18.00 onwards.
Richmond_Surrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 17, 6:20 pm   #620

Programs: Delta Skymiles, SPG, IHG Platinum Elite, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards, AGR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmond_Surrey View Post
I was told that there's a lot of demand before closing date so getting upgrade may not be easy.

I wore jeans to breakfast and I don't think anyone cared. Nicer clothes are required from 18.00 onwards.
Really? Curious about who might have told you so/how reliable that info is.
DrRodneyMcKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 17, 3:01 am   #621

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M, HHonors Gold
Lady at Diamond desk, when I enquired how busy it is and do they expect a lot of reservations in last few months. She said that January is usually quiet time but they have a lot of reservations.

Regarding dress code after 18.00, I think it's specified on the website.
Richmond_Surrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 17, 6:25 am   #622

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond,SPG Platinum,Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade,LH SEN,AZ Gold,VS Elevate Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoggy View Post
My wife and I are staying at the hotel 21st to 26th Feb.

i had no idea that the place closes 2 days later!

We are staying on a combination of Be My Guest certs alongside a couple of paid nights.

We are both Diamond - I take it we need to try and leverage a move to the Towers?

I guess we could also bail on the WA and use the paid nights elsewhere
if I were you I would (bail out, I mean). they barely say thanks for being a customer at check-in, and there is no upgrade to the Towers for Diamonds - in fact no difference in benefits to Diamonds and Gold. Meh.
adpucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 17, 6:31 am   #623

Programs: Amex Plat et al, IHG A, HH Diamond
Ok thanks - paid nights have been moved!

So we will get nothing as diamonds for those 3 nights? One of them is my birthday, will dropping that in at check in do nothing?!
Geoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 17, 10:23 am   #624

Quote:

So we will get nothing as diamonds for those 3 nights? One of them is my birthday, will dropping that in at check in do nothing?!
Oy. Maybe the FD staff will sing to you.
smmrfld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 17, 2:02 am   #625

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond,SPG Platinum,Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade,LH SEN,AZ Gold,VS Elevate Gold
Quote:

you will get separate check in (there is a room marked DIAMOND above the door at the far left of check-in) and 2 bottles of water with a "gold" card voucher - if you mention it's your birthday and the person at check in is nice you may get something, not sure.

make sure you ASK them if they gave you an upgrade and, if not, why not, by the way.
adpucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 17, 2:05 am   #626

Programs: BA GOLD, HH Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpucci View Post
if I were you I would (bail out, I mean). they barely say thanks for being a customer at check-in, and there is no upgrade to the Towers for Diamonds - in fact no difference in benefits to Diamonds and Gold. Meh.
I second that. Do not stay here.
stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 17, 2:41 am   #627

Programs: DL:PM, Marriott:P/LTP, Hilton:G, NatCar:EE+, Hertz:PC
Fun, easy read about the WA: http://nypost.com/2017/02/06/13-surp...ldorf-astoria/

Personal Story: As winter turned to spring, 1964, my parents stayed at the WA. They were idiots, as my mom was towards the end of a pregnancy and probably should not have traveled, but they thought one last trip would be okay. That morning, in the room...

MOM: I'm in labor.
DAD: No you're not.
MOM: I've been in labor before. This is labor.
DAD: I'm a doctor. This isn't real labor.

With that, he left her in the room to attend a conference meeting. Within the hour, hotel staff was helping mom to the hospital, trying to find my dad in the conference room. I was born at 12:06 pm, so mom was right.

My parents had not decided on a middle name, but in NYC, at least at the time, the full name had to be recorded before leaving the delivery room. My parents put the letter "J" on the document, intending to decide later and correct the birth certificate. Which they never did. When asked, I claim the "J" stands for "my parents are idiots."
CJKatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 17, 12:29 pm   #628

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, SPG/Marriott/HHonors Gold, *A Gold (SAS EuroBonus)
Just checked in with the mobile app for a stay. I'm a Gold member and was able to choose a room on the 26th floor - does that mean I will have access to the lounge (which is on that floor)?
bodiddely is offline   Reply With Quote