Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

What is the Difference between a Hampton Inn and a Hilton Garden Inn?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the Difference between a Hampton Inn and a Hilton Garden Inn?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2006, 6:15 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; IHG Plat; Marriott Titanium; United Silver
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I stayed there in November. Formerly a Quality Inn, I believe, but it has been thoroughly renovated. I had a good stay.
It was formerly a Days Inn.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
It all about the miles.

Originally Posted by dbmaury
Hamptons only get 100 miles on the Double Dip, not 250.

Bingo!

dbmaury, you hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned. VS members earn 200 miles at HI's, versus the 1000 earned at other hilton properties.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 10:31 pm
DAL

Stayed in several that have room service with adjacent restaurant - like HI St. Charles, NOLA had a deal with at least 1 cool restaurant next door, maybe more, nice bkfast, sometimes found hard boiled eggs as well as the patties, had king cake during Mardi Gras. HI Pensacola Beach had a deal with the seafood restaurant next door for some great room service, really nice business center and breakfast was run well. OK pool bar. New HGI next door has nicer pools but smaller rooms, don't know if they had the bar sink, fridge & MW in the room like HI, didn't get as good reviews in TripAdvisor. HI&S Franklin/Cool Springs TN might have room svc with the restaurant in front of it, I walked over

For business travel I get Breakfast to Go 4 out of 5 mornings

I stay in HI Knoxville West once a month and they've been part interior, part exterior, now completing all interior. All the others I stay in are interior only.

Never noticed one not having business & fitness centers, but don't use them 99%

I think it just depends, I always check TripAdvisor if they're close
Old Jan 1, 2006, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT, USAir Gold
Recently stayed at the Hampton in Vacaville CA. This was the nicest Hampton I have ever stayed at! I hated to leave. That being said, I have found many decent HI and some pretty crappy ones.

I really enjoy the HGI brand. I find the hotels very consistent in terms of service and amenities. With HI, it can sometimes be a crapshoot. At HGI, you always know exactly what to expect.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:09 am

The oldest Hilton Garden Inn was built in 1999. They're a relatively new chain. Some Hamptons are really showing their age.

HGI's are the primary Hilton property I use. Hamptons have their place.

To me HGI's have better room layouts, nicer bathrooms (though I do like that updated Hampton's have curved shower curtains). High speed internet access is almost always wired at Hilton Garden Inns, many older Hamptons are forced to Wi-Fi it.

The Hilton Garden Inns have a nicer lobby and general area as well. Great meeting place when working in groups. I even told my group of employees that we need to get our travel department to make HGI the standard to go by when booking travel. Usually we're in an old Marriott in the towns we frequent. Where, with HGI you'll always get a relatively new property.

Only thing I'd like to see between both chains is better bedding. I know there's a push in the industry for it, but too many times I still get a beat up dirty old velux blanket.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue, HHonors Gold, PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, A-Club Plat, Hyatt Plat
HGI Evolution beds

Originally Posted by delpreston

Only thing I'd like to see between both chains is better bedding. I know there's a push in the industry for it, but too many times I still get a beat up dirty old velux blanket.
I'm also concerned with the quality of beds at HI and HGI. HGI started to implement their "Evolution bed" with a mechanism that allows personnal adjustment of the mattress. I have not experienced those beds but it seems to be a great improvement.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Nomade
I'm also concerned with the quality of beds at HI and HGI. HGI started to implement their "Evolution bed" with a mechanism that allows personnal adjustment of the mattress. I have not experienced those beds but it seems to be a great improvement.
The new HGI beds are nice. And Hampton is implementing new beds over the next few months as well.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
Difference between Hampton and Hilton Garden Inn

Generally, what is the difference in price/quality or anything else between Hampton Inn and Hilton Garden Inn? Last night I stayed at a Hampton in White Marsh MD. Right next door was a Garden Inn. They were priced the same (so said the Hampton front desk clerk), but Hampton had a complementary breakfast, so I stayed there. tls

Last edited by Canarsie; Jan 29, 2006 at 4:25 pm Reason: This milepost (and the following milepost) was merged into this thread unedited. Thank you, cblaisd!
Old Jan 29, 2006, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by ssullivan
Hampton is implementing new beds over the next few months as well.
I have stayed in a HI with the new beds and I was quite impressed. I am anxious for all to get the upgrade as this is one of the chains my company prefers.
Old Jan 29, 2006, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Hampton:
  • Breakfast: Self-serve, mostly "continental" with a few hot items; disposable plates, cups, utensils.
  • Rooms: Some have microwave/refrigerator, but not standard; mostly basic furnishings although King Study rooms are typically nicer with a small sofa.
  • Bathroom: Lower-level amenities; typically shampoo, soap, and lotion but no conditioner. Plastic cups.
  • Hotel Structure/Architecture: Most Hamptons have interior corridors and elevators, but some older properties have exterior corridors. Some have no elevators. Lobby areas are generally small. Some do not have exercise rooms.

Hilton Garden Inn:
  • Breakfast: Buffet with wider variety of both hot and cold items; cooked-to-order eggs. "Real" plates, glasses, and utensils. Many locations also offer dinner service in the restaurant and evening room service. Evening cocktail service is also available at some locations.
  • Rooms: Nicer furnishings; currently being upgraded with new beds, TVs, and a more modern look. All rooms have a microwave and refrigerator. Rooms typically have a better desk and work chair than Hamptons. Beds always have bedskirts covering box springs; Hamptons typically don't have this.
  • Bathroom: Neutrogena amenities (lotion, shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash), real glasses, towels are typically larger and more plush than Hamptons.
  • Hotel Structure/Architecture: Interior corridors at all properties. Generally newer than many Hamptons. Larger lobby areas with fireplace. Meeting space for smaller functions.
Old Jan 30, 2006, 2:41 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
My favorite HI is the one up in Middletown RI.

Favorite DT for the one person asking above is Waltham MA.

Havent stayed at an HGI yet. But they seem to be building one in Newburgh NY that will get my business at least once to compare it to the kind of pricey HI's in that area.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 6:14 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Delta Platinum, American Platinum, Air Canada 25K
San Diego Hampton on Pacific Hwy - incredible attention from the staff
Old Jan 31, 2006, 6:31 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cullen24
San Diego Hampton on Pacific Hwy - incredible attention from the staff
Couldn't agree more - was there two weeks ago and the staff were excellent.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 6:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Delta Platinum, American Platinum, Air Canada 25K
Originally Posted by holmedown
Couldn't agree more - was there two weeks ago and the staff were excellent.
Was it the 15th - the 18th. We may have shared an elevator. I held a small meeting in one of the conference rooms on the 16th
Old Jan 31, 2006, 6:56 am

Programs: US1, HHDiamond, MR Lifetime Plat, Nat'l Exec, Avis 1st, Priority Plat
Nice HI's (and not-so-nice)

To add to the list of up-scale HI's:

Wilmington, NC - Right beside Port City Chop House
Columbia, SC - Near USC (lot's of good eateries, too)

Ones to avoid - Chesterfield, VA, Lynchburg, VA

As a PP said, pays to do a little homework before booking - I stay away from the HI's without interior entrances as they have all been old, run down properties in my experience.

I haven't had a bad experience with HGI, but they equate with a slightly above average CY, IMO.

Last edited by orfflyer; Jan 31, 2006 at 6:58 am Reason: HGI comment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.