Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Tokyo {JPN}

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nollbit
I'll be arriving pretty early (11am). In case the room isn't available, does anybody know if I'll be able to take a shower in the gym? I'm a Diamond if that helps.
Being a Diamond does help, and as such shouldn't have a problems showering at the gym.
nollbit likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Just completed a two night stay here as gold. I had to use my free night certs. My property of choice in Tokyo is the Andaz Tokyo and I have also stayed at the Grand Hyatt and Park Hyatt in Tokyo for some comparisons. I used the app checkin which gave me a choice of two rooms total. Neither was an upgrade. Upon checking in I asked if an upgrade was available and I was able to get upgraded and obtain lounge access. The only trade off was that I had to give up the king size bed and accept two smaller beds instead. A small sacrifice to obtain a nicer room and lounge access. The room felt slightly dated. I've been in several high end hotels which much more modern fixtures. Everything was in working order and clean but it just felt half a step behind the competition when it came to the fixtures. The view was ok but mostly of nearby building. The view at the Andaz was much better. That being said the view if you are facing the water looks like it would be amazing based on the view from the executive lounge. The lounge wasn't too crowded most of the time. It did fill up during breakfast but there were still seats available. The breakfast offerings were a bit lacking but there was a chef to cook omelettes/scramble eggs etc. The snacks during the cocktail hour were alright. The latest checkout they could give me was 1pm.

The staff in the lounge was good and gave me some solid recommendations for different types of japanese food as well as logistics advice. Felt they did a better job with this than the other properties I have stayed at in Tokyo with really going out of their way to find the best restaurant for the type of food and price range and times I was looking for. In terms of location I was much happier than with some other properties. Here there is a metro stop literally right outside the door and the hotel is located right between ginza and shimbashi. Shimbashi is a good area for nightlife as its where the office workers go after a long day and even on a Sat night there were a ton of people around. More of a local vibe than tripping over tourists in shinjuku. This was not a bad property at all and for using my two free nights I felt like it was an outstanding return.

Last edited by Red259; May 21, 2018 at 4:38 pm
Old May 21, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nollbit
I'll be arriving pretty early (11am). In case the room isn't available, does anybody know if I'll be able to take a shower in the gym? I'm a Diamond if that helps.
Fwiw last time I was there I checked in at 10am and my room wasn’t available. I asked if any suites were and they found one and said I could store my luggage and take the room that wasn’t ready with a better view or take the suite that was available now but it didn’t have as good as a view. The girl seemed apologetic too that a better view wasn’t available.
Old May 22, 2018, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by sfgiants13
Fwiw last time I was there I checked in at 10am and my room wasn’t available. I asked if any suites were and they found one and said I could store my luggage and take the room that wasn’t ready with a better view or take the suite that was available now but it didn’t have as good as a view. The girl seemed apologetic too that a better view wasn’t available.
It's funny how different my experiences are there from this and other posts.
I've stayed there a couple times as a Diamond. Never been able to check in early. Only upgrade was to the same room type as what I've booked but on the Exec floor, which to me is not an upgrade at all since I would've gotten lounge access anyways. Last time, I showed up like ~2pm, was simply told I arrived too early and the the check-in's at 3pm. It was 3.30pm when my room was finally ready. I asked if there was an upgrade, and they said yes I've been upgraded to Exec floor (what I said above)... gee thanks. I know the last time I stayed there, the hotel was near-capacity, although not completely full. I've been able to check in before noon at another Conrad when the place was sold out.

Why do I get no love there? Is it because I'm Japanese, or is it because their system shows a big asterisk next to my name showing I was a Diamond via match?
Old May 22, 2018, 1:09 am

I've had mixed experiences between both. Early check-in by 11/12ish but never a real upgrade, merely to Exec. Once they had a suite but it wasn't exec or some BS so I couldn't have it. Didn't bother arguing the DYKWIA
But next visit I'll be pressing the issue if there is a suite available!
Old May 22, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: HH Dia;SPG Plat;Marriott Plat;GHA Black
Originally Posted by sfgiants13

I actually had the similar experience.
Booked a standard room and upon check-in at the exec lounge (around 3pm) was told that I was upgraded to the executive room sea view.
Asked whether there is a Suite available and she said she said there is one, but it's only city view.
Since I don't mind, I took the suite.
Old May 22, 2018, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by sandyph
I actually had the similar experience.
Booked a standard room and upon check-in at the exec lounge (around 3pm) was told that I was upgraded to the executive room sea view.
Asked whether there is a Suite available and she said she said there is one, but it's only city view.
Since I don't mind, I took the suite.
It's very difficult for me to ask for even more of an upgrade (let alone request suite), when the front desk person is already saying I'm being upgraded.
It would be embarrassing enough for me to ask in English. Would be impossible to do so in Japanese, pulling a sort of DYKWIA while speaking keigo (polite Japanese).
Is this something I have to either get over, or else be resigned to 1-category upgrade forever and ever?

This is my 3rd year of being Diamond. In that time, I've probably had 80-90 nights, ~30 stays, almost all Hilton/DT/Conrad. Not once have I been offered an upgrade to a suite.
jefftiger and craigthemif like this.
Old May 22, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: HH Dia;SPG Plat;Marriott Plat;GHA Black
Originally Posted by evergrn
It's very difficult for me to ask for even more of an upgrade (let alone request suite), when the front desk person is already saying I'm being upgraded.
It would be embarrassing enough for me to ask in English. Would be impossible to do so in Japanese, pulling a sort of DYKWIA while speaking keigo (polite Japanese).
Is this something I have to either get over, or else be resigned to 1-category upgrade forever and ever?

This is my 3rd year of being Diamond. In that time, I've probably had 80-90 nights, ~30 stays, almost all Hilton/DT/Conrad. Not once have I been offered an upgrade to a suite.
in my experience, there's never any harm in asking (politely)
a simple 'Is a suite available?' (with a smile) will be suffice , worse case there aren't any/they don't want to give you one and you just keep your current upgrade
Old May 23, 2018, 1:48 am

Last month, the app showed I was upgraded to an Exec King. I noticed all types of Suites were available online. I asked at check-in and got one. Never hurt to ask.
Old May 23, 2018, 3:34 am

Programs: HH D
I had asked in early Marth, but received only one level upgrade to King Room with Sea View as Diamond.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist

Yeah I don't do it often (especially at US Hiltons that I know are stingy with upgrades). I'll sometimes do it when abroad. I'll ask nicely and won't push the issue.
Old May 24, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver

Guess you could ask. If I was told I was being upgraded already I probably wouldn't push the issue further. I just ask about upgrades if I think they are giving me a room without lounge access.
Old May 24, 2018, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Garina
I had asked in early Marth, but received only one level upgrade to King Room with Sea View as Diamond.
I've never even gotten sea view, let alone a suite.

Originally Posted by Red259
Guess you could ask. If I was told I was being upgraded already I probably wouldn't push the issue further.
Okay I'm glad there's someone else who's the same way. I can ask if there's any upgrade. I've just never been able to ask if I can get upgrade TO A SUITE. At Conrad Tokyo, I ask if there's any upgrade and their response to me each time is "Yes, we've already upgraded you to the executive floor." Yeah... executive city view... how is that an upgrade for a Diamond member? So I'm miffed, but then I can't get myself to ask the follow-up question/request.

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Last month, the app showed I was upgraded to an Exec King. I noticed all types of Suites were available online. I asked at check-in and got one. Never hurt to ask.
Alright, I will see if I can get my wife to ask! She's also shy about these things, but I'm worse.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:04 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
I've never even gotten sea view, let alone a suite.

Okay I'm glad there's someone else who's the same way. I can ask if there's any upgrade. I've just never been able to ask if I can get upgrade TO A SUITE. At Conrad Tokyo, I ask if there's any upgrade and their response to me each time is "Yes, we've already upgraded you to the executive floor." Yeah... executive city view... how is that an upgrade for a Diamond member? So I'm miffed, but then I can't get myself to ask the follow-up question/request.

Alright, I will see if I can get my wife to ask! She's also shy about these things, but I'm worse.
Not sure it. Would work, , but if you book with Amex Plat’s FHR Program—which involves an upgrade—maybe as a Diamond you will get an additional upgrade.
Old May 25, 2018, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sandyph
in my experience, there's never any harm in asking (politely)
a simple 'Is a suite available?' (with a smile) will be suffice , worse case there aren't any/they don't want to give you one and you just keep your current upgrade
I think you're all missing the additional nuance of the OP's nationality. For a Japanese person to DYKWIA or request special treatment in even the most polite manner would be a massive social misstep. However, they can be incredibly forgiving of foreigners doing things that would be unspeakable for a Japanese person.

In all of my business dealings with Japanese banks, my Japanese partners would ALWAYS ask me beforehand to make the controversial or demanding statements / requests, because they simply couldn't risk the loss of face.
747FC, Lctkw and FlyingKansan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.