Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Hilton Hotel Oakland Airport
1 Hegenberger Rd.
Oakland CA 94261
Tel. +1.510.635.5000 / Fax +1.510.383.4062

There are five buildings at this property; building 1 includes the lobby. Each building has three floors, and a mix of two double beds or a king bed on each floor.

The numeration of rooms runs to four digits, as follows:
1st digit, building number.
2nd digit, floor number.
3rd and 4th digits are the specific room number.

Post 117 includes a plan of the property and its buildings.

I.e. room 1319, in the building including the lobby (the restaurant is across the van access and parking, and there is a covered walkway) on the third (highest) floor, actually the designated Honors floor (vending, but you must go to the second floor for ice,) and is not particularly distinguishable from any other floor – though you want to be on the third floor in this hotel, regardless of which wing / building you are staying in.

When offered advance online checkin, you may not be shown building 1 at all, even if you're Honors Elite.

Self-parking is up to $14.75 per night for checked guests (9/17).

Airport shuttles to OAK at 20 minute intervals, 4am to 2am on demand, seven minutes to airport. See the list of services in post #116.

Remarks: This is a large hotel in the old style, several wings three stories high, airport-close (regular shuttle service,) one mile from McAfee Coliseum and full of conferences and meetings. Amenities include a pool, surprisingly complete fitness room, sports bar, Amelia’s (Earhart) restaurant for breakfast and lunch (breakfast: Continental, US$, buffet $ ,) and Stanley’s Grill for dinner (beautiful sandblasted glass panels depicting African animals as dividers between booths, decent food and sometimes glacial service.) Parking is advertised as $14.75.

Note: This hotel did not honor my booking even though I OLCI and selected a room, called and let them know I was arriving late. They then attempted to book me into the remaining room (suite), which in fact was occupied. 18 Sep 2017.

The older construction means this place can be noisy, and the floors can boom and shake when someone isn’t considerate of fellow lodgers. At least with the third floor, you have no one above you – but you may still hear people walking by, or hear the alarm or television in adjacent rooms; cabinet doors may rattle when you walk by the drawer / tv cabinet, and you can feel floor irregularities as you walk thorugh the carpeting. The glazing is older single pane, so you may also hear turboprop aircraft from the general aviation side of the field departing, and some traffic noise is possible in some rooms. The airport hotel means activity can be any time of day or night.

UNDER REVISION: The room is very spacious, with a king bed with very nice bedding (and a thin but very adequate duvet,) a table with ice bucket, glasses and coffee service, a chest of three drawers with television in the upper portion of the cabinet, small closet with extra covers, iron and board, bathrobes; there are two armchairs and small drum table, a luggage jack and small padded bench that can easily be used as a luggage jack, two night tables, usual Hilton clock-radio, enough pillows for the a family, two telephones, several lights (the room is adequately lit,) a spacious desk with a ridiculous adjustable armchair that requires me to use my laptop in the desk drawer, as the chair does not adjust high enough to allow comfortable use of the desk. The blackout curtains do a very adequate job of blocking extraneous light from the room, which is good given aircrews use this hotel. Air is central, but you can make the room cooler in winter or warmer in summer – not possible in some hotels with central HVAC.

The bathroom is small, square and floored with a marble tile also used for the sink area, a smallish tub with straight (not bowed) curtain rod and good shower head with anemic water pressure. A hair dryer and the usual La Source amenities are provided, but only hand (no bath sized) soaps were provided; a shoe rag and shoehorn are included, a nice extra from a hotel that doesn’t believe in many extras for Diamonds. Toweling is the nice and absorbent HH collection by Martex.

The room appears refurbished, the wall is covered with a light beige-gold paper with a subtle floral effect, carpet is multi-pattern with greens and beiges, all woods are in a medium brown, and everything is clean and bright. Service can be variable, and you can expect most staff will not greet unless you greet first, especially if engrossed in chit chat with each other. This feels like a place that does quite well due to location, so nobody puts much time into hospitality training.

UNDERVREVISION FOR STAY: My amenities as Diamond included the upgrade to the “Executive King” room, the robes in the closet, two one pint / 237 ml bottles of water, and a chit for the Continental breakfast (fruits, cereals, yoghurts, juices, pastries but no croissants, or even toast - which must be requested, coffee or tea – a bit miserly.) One can “upgrade” to buffet American (scrambled eggs, hash brown potatoes, bacon, sausage) for an additional US$X.00.

Caveat: I would never stay here during high school graduation periods – I have seen this hotel chock-a-block with students attending their proms, and their parents secure numbers of rooms for them.

Alternate properties: Hilton Garden Inn San Leandro (south, under five miles from OAK, shuttle bus to OAK, BART) Homewood Suites Oakland-Waterfront (north, near Jack London Square, under 6 miles,) Hampton Inn Hayward (eight miles, south,) and the new Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco – Oakland Bay Bridge in Emeryville, just under ten miles away.
Print Wikipost

Hilton Oakland Airport {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2002, 12:54 pm

Location: Texas AA EXP 4.5 mm, United Gold, Marriott Plt, Hilton Diamond
I stayed there last week and was very disappointed. Front desk informed me at check out that they did not follow normal Hilton Diamond rules and had to charge me for local calls.

After complaining to the Manager, they were removed finally but was told that they would not do this in the future and expect to pay them or stay somewhere else.

I was there preparing for a new project which with my project team could have netted them probably 100 nites over the next 2 months.

TOOO BAD NOW, no way in H***, Im staying there now. The whole process of "We dont care what the rest of the country does, we dont do that" really upset me.

------------------
AA member since 1981. Moving to SW starting 1/1/03
Old Oct 20, 2002, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TxLobo:
I stayed there last week and was very disappointed. Front desk informed me at check out that they did not follow normal Hilton Diamond rules and had to charge me for local calls.
</font>
I did not know that free local calls were a diamond benefit. Are you sure?

http://www.hilton.com/en/hhonors/benefits/levels.jhtml

[This message has been edited by chix (edited 10-20-2002).]
Old Oct 20, 2002, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/005603.html

The hotel will also charge you for taking bathrobes that you never used. You will notice that my opinion has changed substantially from the earlier post on this thread.

[This message has been edited by Eastbay1K (edited 10-20-2002).]
Old Oct 23, 2002, 10:36 am

Location: Texas AA EXP 4.5 mm, United Gold, Marriott Plt, Hilton Diamond
I contacted Hilton Honors about this and was told that the majority of Hilton chains abide by this "GUIDELINE", but it is subject to local property decision.

As a Diamond, I have never been charged for local calls (I have had individual hotels try to charge for calls over an hour, but not for the local calls). It is not uncommon to have the charges on my bill at time of checkout, but when I show my Diamond card it has always been removed.

------------------
AA member since 1981. Moving to SW starting 1/1/03
Old Dec 26, 2002, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Gold, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Does anybody know what would be the best way to get from Oakland Hilton to the Coliseum for a game. Is it walkable? I wont have a car, according to the website it is only 1 mile away. Thanks for any information.
Old Dec 26, 2002, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
It's probably about a mile, maybe slightly more. I suppose you could take a taxi but it's really not a bad walk. There's a Hampton inn that's a bit closer.
Old Dec 26, 2002, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chichi:
Does anybody know what would be the best way to get from Oakland Hilton to the Coliseum for a game. Is it walkable? I wont have a car, according to the website it is only 1 mile away. Thanks for any information.</font>
Neither the hotel nor the coliseum is in a great neighborhood. I recommend the taxi.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 12:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Oakland Airport Hilton update - stay Jul 18 2004

My check-in was handled expeditiously and in a friendly manner. My assigned Executive room was on the third (HHonors) floor of the main building, and parking was available directly in front of the building housing Amelia's, the restaurant, very close. Self-parking is $9.00 (per Hilton web page,) which was apparently was waived for me as a Diamond, on registering.

The hall appeared to have been renovated since I was here last, as did the room - new paint throughout, new carpet, and more colourful bedding as well, welcome improvements. The room has a large wardrobe - drawers - television cabinet combo with what appears to be the usual Lodgenet setup (but I didn;t turn the set on,) a table with coffee service, stemware, ice bucket and two complimentary, if tiny 8 oz / 240 ml bottles of water. There are two luggage stands, one portable and one wooden, two overstuffed armchairs with small glass table and lamp, and lamps on the night tables by the king bed. The king bed was furnished with a featherbed and duvet, in the European style.

The work desk is quite large, with a phone ($1.00 per local call,) DSL (Züm is the ISP) for $9.95 for 24 hours (seems very sluggish this evening, maybe it stands for Ain't Digital Subscriber Line? Lter: better this morning! ) and lamp with power outlets. The task chair's height adjustment didn't work, making for uncomfortable computer access. Seven light sources in the room, not bad. The closet has two bathrobes, ironing equipment and extra bedding and pillows. Air con / heat is central, thermostat on the wall, seems effective. Hall noise penetrates quite readily, but at least there's no noise overhead on the 3rd and uppermost floor; I think it could be a problem on the 2nd floor, as the furniture shakes a bit when you walk about the room. One can also just hear distant airport takeoff noise, and easily hear reciprocating aircraft taking off on the short runway, and louder street traffic noise.

The bathroom is tolerably small, is well lit, with a small night light, magnifying mirror, full Hilton Neutrogena amenities (including lint lifter, excluding shoe cloth,) decent hansgrohe shower head in the shower - tub combo (I wish it were mounted a little higher,) a bagged hair dryer, a goodly supply of slightly oversized thick ridged towels (weird bit of trivia: Martex HH Collection made in USA "California cotton loops, all cotton, 63% California cotton,") and is pretty clean overall.

My rate is a weekend (Sunday night) AAA rate, $114 and 12.54 taxes. Cancellation is required one day prior to booked stay. The usual USA Today was at the door sill. Checkout was via Zip-Out, and accurate.

Breakfast: They were supposed to give me a chit at the front desk - but the friendly cashier ^ at Amelia's (yes, Amelia E., she frequented OAK,) seated me and told me the complimentary Diamond breakfast was the Continental (juices, cereals, yoghourt, breads mostly,) and I could upgrade to the hot buffet for $3.95. Hot buffet was comprised of anything on the Continental menu plus a choice of well-made (!) scrambled eggs, hash browns, bacon, sausage. In either case, your choice of toast (but they butter without asking) is brought to your table. Coffee is OK, you must ask for ice water.

Transportation: Frequent vans to Oakland International Airport (OAK.) AirBART shuttle links the Coliseum/Oakland Airport BART Station and OAK with departures every 15 minutes.

Caveat: There is still considerable construction going on on and about Hegenberger Road and OAK airport, so it can be hit or miss in terms of traffic and mess.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 3, 2017 at 11:31 am Reason: add updates
Old Jul 19, 2004, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by JDiver
Self-parking is $9.00, generally charged to the room.
Interesting... I was there last month and self parking was only $5. I found everything else to be as described (though I didn't try the internet connection). I think it was a lot nicer than when I last stayed there 10+ years earlier.
Old Jul 19, 2004, 7:46 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
My 2 cents...

We've always stayed there for prevacations. They have always had a pretty decent park-n-fly rate.

You will LOVE the gym...it is probably one of the best I've been too. Also, nice breakfast. Rooms are okay....I usually get a bag of goodies in my room...a bag of pistashios, or a bag of almonds.

However, I recently checked a park-n-fly rate and it was outrageous. I thought I had the wrong hotel. It was something like $179 and you could only park for 7 days with an additional $9 per night!!!!!!!! We always take 14+ days vacation so I'm going to have to look elsewhere.

There prices for accomodations in general, really, really went up since I last stayed here (which wasn't THAT long ago).

Dawn
Old Jul 19, 2004, 8:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Hi, Dawn,

I usually stay at the Doubletree San Fancisco International Airport for decent 14-day park 'n' fly rates, and the Embassy Suites there (both Burlingame, near Anza) seems to often not charge for parking at all. It's often much more convenient (and often cheaper!) for me to fly from SFO than SMF, even with the drive from Carmichael and park 'n' fly.

Weekday rates are ouchy: cheapest rates next week (add 11% taxes) are ROH: $152 NetDirect, $162 AARP, $169 AAA or Best Available, $189 7-day park 'n' fly; add approximately $20 for an Executive King room. The H-OAK always have lots of meetings and functions here, and it's airport-close, so they get the high prices.

In my case, my client for today is a few blocks away, and tonight it's off to the Hampton Inn SFO / Burlingame.

José

Originally Posted by kymbakitty
We've always stayed there for prevacations. They have always had a pretty decent park-n-fly rate.

You will LOVE the gym...it is probably one of the best I've been too. Also, nice breakfast. Rooms are okay....I usually get a bag of goodies in my room...a bag of pistashios, or a bag of almonds.

However, I recently checked a park-n-fly rate and it was outrageous. I thought I had the wrong hotel. It was something like $179 and you could only park for 7 days with an additional $9 per night!!!!!!!! We always take 14+ days vacation so I'm going to have to look elsewhere.

There prices for accomodations in general, really, really went up since I last stayed here (which wasn't THAT long ago).

Dawn
Old Jan 5, 2005, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
OAK Hilton

Checked in for two nights as lowly gold. Given breakfast coupons, HHonors floor, etc. without even asking

Also booked a weekend getaway to Toronto next weekend. Hilton.com rate was $140. Booked priceline at $65 per night and got the Hilton No points or stay credit, but for over a 50% discount I'll pass.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by omegadeal
Checked in for two nights as lowly gold. Given breakfast coupons, HHonors floor, etc. without even asking

Also booked a weekend getaway to Toronto next weekend. Hilton.com rate was $140. Booked priceline at $65 per night and got the Hilton No points or stay credit, but for over a 50% discount I'll pass.
Make sure you know that the Toronto Hilton lounge was closed at last report. Not sure if it has reopened.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 1:25 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Oakland Hilton

Originally Posted by omegadeal

I just booked a room for a post night after our trip to Cancun in February. That place is expensive. The best rate I could get was for $125. Did you do any better? And, I had to pay now, no cancellation.

Also, we are staying there one night before our flight out of Oakland. We went through SunTrips because their flight was the only one I could find that was straight through, good price too.

They had a great contracted rate through the hotel. We paid $129 (oddly enough, no tax was added) and we can park there for 11 nights!

Question: Will HHonors give me a credit for that stay although I did not book it directly with them? I called the hotel and they don't even show my name yet...he said it will probably come over a week or two with a bunch of other names. I would like to give them my hhonor number.

Will be at the Hilton Cancun for 10 nights in Feb...can't wait to check out the new spa....
Old Jan 6, 2005, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
You did better than I did. My rate was $139 from Carlson through my corp travel website. You may not get credit since it wasn't booked through Hilton, but I get credit every time when I book through the corp travel site. I think that people who have booked through sites like Expedia have had problems with getting credit.

FYI they charge $5/day for parking also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.