Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Boulders Resort & Spa, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-AZ}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 10, 2013, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MS02113
Boulders Resort & Spa, Curio Collection by Hilton

Hotel Website: http://curiocollection3.hilton.com/en/hotels/arizona/boulders-resort-and-spa-curio-collection-by-hilton-PHXRSQQ/index.html

http://www.theboulders.com/

Address: 34631 N. Tom Darlington Drive, Carefree, Arizona, 85377, USA
Phone: Tel: 1-480-488-9009 Fax: 1-480-488-4118

Other:
Hilton HHonors Properties in Phoenix (consolidated thread)
Print Wikipost

Boulders Resort & Spa, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-AZ}

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 6:17 am

Programs: HHonnors Diamond, AA Gold, UA Silver
The $30 per night credit for breakfast was noted at checkout and the credit added at that time. All went well...

Looks like it's going to be $30 per day credit for breakfast for diamonds at this resort going forward....
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Just finished a 5 nights stay. It's basically the same resort but trying to change over to the new branding and not all employees are aware.

I received ten $20 coupons that were good for breakfast/lunch (drinks also included) at the Palo Verde, The Bakery, The Spa, The Grill but were also honored poolside and at the bar (by check-in). This was a great deal but the staff sometimes didn't know what to do with them and wanted payment for taxes even though the total cost was less than the coupon value. Also a 20% coupon for the gift shop and $15 drink coupon.

Breakfast at Palo Verde is very good. The Angus burger at the bar very nice. The Ahi burger at the grill very good.

$200 credit for 5 nights was a great deal but I doubt it will be the standard in the future.

Great Resort.

Update: August stay - Staff still under the impression that breakfast is not included and you need to ask for it. It now is for breakfast only and for $20. I spoke with the manager and stated they are still training on benefits (not sure how much training is needed to give a coupon).

Last edited by tkelvin69; Aug 3, 2015 at 7:44 pm Reason: update
Old Jan 3, 2016, 3:25 pm

Boulders Resort - "free" activities

Looking to spend some points and stay at Boulders Resort in Carefree AZ.
I am a HHonors Diamond member......looks like breakfast coupons are a decent perk.
What are the "free" activities that are included with the stay? (not just HHonors)
I know they have 4 pools, but what else is available on the resort that you do not have to pay extra for?

How are the prices at the resort restaurants?
Any recommendations on activities and dining / nightlife off the resort?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond, United Global Services
There is not many "free things" at the resort that I recall. We did enjoy the short hiking trails around the boulders near the lobby.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 5:24 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Are there any recent reports for Gold benefits here? Deciding on Boulders and another property and any free breakfast may swing it!

Also will be travelling with a Toddler, would anyone say the property is unsuitable for an under 3?
Old Jul 11, 2016, 1:31 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Had a chance to spend 2 nights here this past weekend, my full thoughts with pictures here. But, here is the text of my review:

A Review of the Boulders Resort and Spa – Curio- A Collection by Hilton

It’s hot here in Phoenix, with temperatures rising steadily above 110 degrees. While this is reason enough for most of the part-timers and vacationers to leave the city, there’s actually several great reasons to stay in Phoenix. The traffic is cut in half, the golf is cheap, and there are many hotels that one can staycation at for a fraction of the normal price. When we saw the Boulders going for $87 a night with a Hilton MVP rate, we jumped on it!

An Overview of the Boulders

The Boulders was built in the 1980s, with 221 guestrooms spread out over a large amount of acreage. It was once a Waldorf=Astoria resort, but is now a “Curio Collection” hotel, still under Hilton management. Rooms are “casitas” here, starting at 550 square feet, which is what we stayed in, though they can grow in size all the way to full-blown 3-bedroom standalone villas.

The resort features the main lodge, with its main restaurant Palo Verde and lobby bar, as well as one of the resorts’ four pools. This pool straddles one of the amazing boulder rockpiles on the resort property, and is open 24 hours, which I find amazing. Countless times, I arrive too late to use pool facilities, so I thought this was a great feature, especially given the heat during the day.

Other hot spots in the resort is its massive spa complex, complete with its own pool and gym. The resort includes fitness classes in its resort fee. There’s also a restaurant in this area as well. Further on, there is the golf and tennis facilities, which has the Grill and Bogey’s restaurant facilities, 7 tennis courts, and two 18-hole golf courses. Slightly off property, but still associated with the resort, is the Salted Donkey, featuring casual Mexican food.

Arrival

The Boulders is a bit north of Scottsdale, about 15 miles in the upscale community of Carefree, Arizona. We drove north up Scottsdale Road, and arrived at the gate of the property. We were met by a guard, who handed us a printed parking pass with our name on it, and told us to drive about a mile up the entry road until we hit the Lodge. There, a man met us with our check-in information, Diamond amenities envelope, and certificates and directed us to the self-parking lot, where a golf cart met us to take us to our room.

This part of the experience was flawless- we didn’t even have to step out of our car to check into the hotel. A quick golf cart ride winding through the resort led us to Casita #265, on the second story in a secluded corner on the north side of the resort.

Keep in mind when visiting- there is a $30 per night resort fee, but this includes fitness classes, internet, and tips for the golf cart drivers. You’ll be using them often during your stay, so I was actually happy that they included that in the fee.

Room

The room itself is brand-new, having been renovated in 2015. An entry way led to a living room-area with flatscreen and fireplace.

Of course, it being summer in Arizona, you don’t need it, but it’s available for when you’re there in the winter months.

A very comfortable king bed awaited us, with end tables on either side.

A nice touch were the electrical plugs on either side of the bed, with USB inputs in the wall. The bathroom was spacious, with a separate tub and shower, as well as two sinks with plenty of counter space.

We had a private balcony as well, outfitted with a table and two chairs, and views of the surrounding valley.

Note- this resort is in the middle of the desert, and we actually had to kill a scorpion in our room in the middle of our last night. The resort is crawling with wildlife, so if that at all alarms you, maybe try to stay somewhere more in town. You’ll need a flashlight at night, which they thoughtfully provide:

Hilton HHonors Amenities

As a Diamond Member, I received a welcome letter detailing my special amenities:

Complimentary Water Replenished Daily

Complimentary Welcome Beverage in the Discovery Lounge

Complimentary Room Upgrade based on Availability

Late Checkout

Notice anything missing? Apparently, Curio is transitioning into a similar category as the Waldorf-Astoria properties, and won’t be required to offer free breakfast in the future. Nothing on the website denotes this, however, and a quick call to the front desk had breakfast vouchers delivered to our door in minutes.

Drinks are expensive in the Discovery Lounge, at $14 each for a cocktail. So, we managed to get about $32 in value after tax and tip from that amenity. Plus, our daily breakfast tab came out to over $50, so $132 plus an upgraded room is good value for my status. Our water, however, was not replenished on the second day.

Dining

We had a dinner on property at the Salted Donkey Cantina. They barrel-age their own tequila, which I thought was unique, though be prepared to pay $16 for a margarita to try (though I’ll say it was one of the best I’ve ever had). I went with the carne asada, while Laura went for the fish and shrimp tacos. I thought my carne asada was perfect, but Laura thought the fish was too much batter, not enough fish. Overall, very good quality food, if a bit expensive.

Breakfast at Palo Verde was delicious, though overpriced if you were paying out of pocket. I went with the blue corn waffles, and Laura with the pulled pork and egg. Both were scrumptious, but we both thought service was a little slow.

Our drinks at the Discovery Lounge were delicious, but too expensive, even for a resort. We had the Lemon Berry Crush and the Grapefruit Paloma, which paired well with a dip in the pool.

Recreational Activities

The first morning, we got up and did a cycling/core class. We found the instructor to be a little rude (possibly hungover?) when setting up our bikes, and the whole class felt a little low energy for the normally-exhausting spin classes we’re used to. The second half of the class was suppose to work our core, but it was more of an instruction on how to use a Bosu Balance Ball. We were left disappointed.

Golf was exceptional, however. With two of the prettiest golf courses around, winding in and around the boulders of the resort, it’s truly one-of-a-kind. Pace of play was a little slow on the back 9, but that’s to be expected.

While we didn’t have a chance to try out the tennis courts, they are free after 11 AM in the summer (normally $25 per hour). Also on offer during the winter months is on-resort rock climbing, at $165 per person.

Overall Thoughts

While it is advertised as a 5-star resort, I feel as if the resort is a solid 4.5 star. My new benchmark for 5-star service is the Conrad Dubai, so the Boulders didn’t quite meet that. The setting is stellar, the resort is great, but I can’t help but feel that it would feel overpriced in the winter months. While many on the resort were incredibly nice, including all of the golf cart drivers, others like the marshalls at the golf course and the fitness instructor were less than courteous.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:32 pm

Programs: WN ALP, CP; AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bsdstone
Excellent! Thanks!
I just stayed there last week. Note that it's NOT a WA property, but part if the Curio collection. To your question, when they thought I was a Gold I'm a Diamond), the gave me 2 $15 drink vouchers, so that's probably what you'll get.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:49 am

Programs: AA Plat
Can anyone clarify the breakfast benefit for Diamond? Is it free voucher or credit of fixed amount?

I have a weekend certificate to burn, and was thinking going over thanksgiving weekend. It is probably not the best deal to use the certificate to a property costing 70k points/$300 night. We have SPG Plat and Hyatt Diamond so the breakfast thing may kill it if not good enough. Thanks for any feedback.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:14 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by shihyin
Can anyone clarify the breakfast benefit for Diamond? Is it free voucher or credit of fixed amount?

I have a weekend certificate to burn, and was thinking going over thanksgiving weekend. It is probably not the best deal to use the certificate to a property costing 70k points/$300 night. We have SPG Plat and Hyatt Diamond so the breakfast thing may kill it if not good enough. Thanks for any feedback.
Last summer received breakfast certificates and a $15 drink coupon.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by shihyin

Really? You would avoid spending a night for completely free, if the FREE breakfast isn't up to your standards in comparison with two other loyalty chains, both of which would not accept said free night certificate?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by Michael19887
Really? You would avoid spending a night for completely free, if the FREE breakfast isn't up to your standards in comparison with two other loyalty chains, both of which would not accept said free night certificate?
There are other considerations that I am weighting in as well (e.g., have Hyatt DSU that I want to enjoy; I can potentially use the Hilton free night in other higher category hotel which might give me a better value; the limitations on the dates that I actually need to make less desirable travel arrangement to stay here; hotels under other chains that I want to try). So not to say that free breakfast is the only thing but is a factor that I want to information about.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 6:15 pm

I am looking to burn some HHonors points here but would like to upgrade to a 3BR villa. Does anyone know the aprox upcharge price for this? Stay will be in January.

Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AAPlatinum
Staying with a large corporate group and checked in late (after 11pm) tonight and was told they do not participate in the Diamond breakfast amenity at this property but did have a drink voucher ($15) for me. I politely pointed out that this property was not listed as an exclusion under the published benefits and they relented, proving the $20 voucher mentioned above.

Not sure how much this is related but I asked to add my HH number upon checkin (original group res did not add) so I could access diamond amenities/bonus points. Front desk staff never did ask what my number was but did provide the vouchers - I asked about a possible upgrade but was ignored. Will stop back in tomorrow to get the number added for the 1k bonus points and a stay credit but was surprised at the exchange.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AAPlatinum
Just realized I misspoke - the breakfast voucher is not a dollar amount:

Please take a moment to relax in Palo Verde, the Spa Cafe, or The Grill. Enjoy one of your favorite breakfast items and one beverage and coffee on us.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: some blue some silver some gold
Originally Posted by maewest
Just realized I misspoke - the breakfast voucher is not a dollar amount:

Please take a moment to relax in Palo Verde, the Spa Cafe, or The Grill. Enjoy one of your favorite breakfast items and one beverage and coffee on us.
I am staying here on an award stay at the end of the month (three nights Sunday to Wednesday). As a Diamond the website and email confirmation are very clear that breakfast is included. I hope I don't have too many issues getting them to honour this.

Any idea what upgrade we might get? Or which room to choose online?

Also so am I correct in thinking the resort fee is waived for Diamond award stays?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.