Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Palmer House a Hilton Hotel {US-IL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Palmer House a Hilton Hotel {US-IL}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2003, 11:44 am
Original Member

Thanks, folks. I'll see if I can get a suite. Will report during my stay.

------------------
"The Eyes of Texas Are Upon You"
Old Apr 5, 2003, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Does anyone know, if I book one of these "Studio Rooms" how likely am I to be upgraded to a regular or tower room as Gold?

I found this for a steal at $75 (AAA rate), and it's over a holiday weekend, so there probably won't be too many Golds/Diamonds there.

Thanks!
Old Apr 6, 2003, 11:39 am

Channa: Last time we tried to upgrade with one of these rates (I'm gold with Hilton) it was unsucessful. Staff was actually nasty about the whole thing. I could not, however, determine the occupancy of the hotel but it was on a weekend. The studio room was really small and "unacceptable" to my wife and we changed hotels after the first night.
Note that this was pre-"war" occupancy.
Good Luck.

------------------
JerseyJoe
Old Apr 6, 2003, 1:39 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
The Palmer House is one of my favorite hotels in Chicago, and now with their renovations, it should be even more spectacular. My experience has been that if you're polite but insistent about wanting a better room, they'll take care of you, as they should at a better hotel.
Old Apr 6, 2003, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
If you put in a "special request" when you book the room and then followup with an email to the hotel's front desk manager that may help.

I have found a polite email in advance to the front desk manager works wonders.

Good luck!

RC
Old Apr 6, 2003, 5:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
I've only stayed there once, but it was a great stay. The renovated rooms are apparently quite nice, and I think upper floors have high-speed internet access. Great staff.

There's also the Chicago Hilton and Towers just down S. Michigan Avenue. I've had better luck with upgrades and breakfast coupons there than just about any other Hilton I've ever stayed at (with the exception of the Singapore Conrad <g> ).

[This message has been edited by essxjay (edited 04-06-2003).]
Old Apr 6, 2003, 8:21 pm

Location: NWA Platinum, PC Platinum, HH Gold, Radisson elite, Hertz #1 Gold; National Emerald, Wausau, WI
I've always ended up with pretty roomy digs at the Palmer House. The last couple of times, there were even "his" and "hers" full baths (and I'm not Diamond). That said, if you are specifically booking a studio room and looking for an upgrade, I don't know what the chances are because I haven't gone that route.
Old Apr 6, 2003, 9:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Similar Question.
Booked regular "Best available Rate" $99 for this weekend.
As Gold what can I expect?
Old Apr 7, 2003, 8:29 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
As a Gold, I was given a big room on the Exec floor with a seating area, two bathrooms but no view.

I was also given access to the Exec Floor lounge for breakfast.

It will be interesting to see if the Palmer House has fixed the elevator problems. It's very very slow.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 10:29 am

The one time I booked the Studio room (for $79!) I was upgraded (Gold HHonors) to a junior suite. But I probably wouldn't book this room type if I really needed the space of a regular room because the Palmer House has a history of being somewhat spasdic about upgrades and amenities depending upon the rate you pay.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 12:30 pm
Original Member

Was your upgrade automatic, or did you have to request.
My experience in the past at others has been that they recognize me as I check in an offer me perks then.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz GLD
Howdy,

Here's my two cents...take it as you will.

1. If I'm on business - I stay at the Palmer house.

2. If it's stictly a family trip (no business) I stay at the Drake (although if Hilton dumps it - I'll look around and re-evaluate my options.

Now - with regards to the Palmer house. I make the reservation for the cheapest rate, calling the hotel directly myself on my last three stays - I got rates of 84, 91, and 115 respectivly. After getting a confirmation number - I call the Palmer House pre-arrivals coordinator and put in a request for an upgrade to one of the pool table suites (they have two). On the first stay I got upgraded to it. On the second stay, it was full but I got upgraded to a full suite with a dinning room, on the third stay I got upgraded to a suite on the top floor, but not quite as large as the dinning room or pool table suites.

I've gotten more consistant upgrades from the Palmer house than any other Hilton, ever. This is why it is number 1 on my list - and quite frankly if on business I got stuck in a tiny room room - I'd still throw them my business because they have proven to me a commitment to go above and beyond anything they have to. (With all stays - got full benefits - fruit plate in the room, exec floor access, etc...).

Now - as a side note - with the Drake, I've never paid less than $150, but have always (100%) been upgraded to a suite. View overlooks the lake, fresh flowers changed twice daily in the room - wonderful resturant in the basement, nice tea in the dinning room.

I'm a huge fan of both of these properties - they have never disappointed. I've gotten last minute reservations at one sixty blue, 1212 and trotters from conceirge and over the service has been wonderful.

Class act all the way.

Keep the faith,

Pakse
Old Apr 7, 2003, 1:14 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pakse:
Now - with regards to the Palmer house. After getting a confirmation number - I call the Palmer House pre-arrivals coordinator and put in a request for an upgrade to one of the pool table suites (they have two). On the first stay I got upgraded to it. On the second stay, it was full but I got upgraded to a full suite with a dinning room, on the third stay I got upgraded to a suite on the top floor, but not quite as large as the dinning room or pool table suites.</font>
So that's why you (and I) don't always get the pool table suites! We need to coordinate our Palmer House stays so that they don't overlap.

Old Apr 7, 2003, 2:58 pm

Programs: CX GR; AA Life GLD, EXP; SPG Life GLD, PLT
Hi!

That sounds very special treatment!!

Is that because:
1. You are both Diamonds?
or
2. You stay there SO MANY time that basically the hotel staff/manager knows you or some kind of Hotel VIP already?

For the Pre-arrival Co-ordinator, is that available for for Drake as well?

Thanks!

Old Apr 7, 2003, 6:31 pm
Original Member

Ok final question.
I can get same rate at Chicago Hilton.
So which would you choose as a Gold.
Palmer or Hilton.
Spending next weeked there with the wife (and NO KIDS)

RT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.