Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Berlin {DEU}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2015, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by bj27
Another note that might be helpful (please correct me if I'm wrong): most of the ticket machines don't accept American credit cards, only Maestro cards. None of our Visas or AMEXs worked. Just an FYI to have cash.
I was told a lot of place in Germany don't accept cc's. As long as they give change I am fine. The kiosks for the Amsterdam trains only take cash or credit card with a pin (fortunately one of my US credit cards does have chip and pin)
Old Jun 28, 2015, 3:34 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Another note that might be helpful (please correct me if I'm wrong): most of the ticket machines don't accept American credit cards, only Maestro cards. None of our Visas or AMEXs worked. Just an FYI to have cash.
I know they take MasterCard and also recall having issues with notes bigger than €20?
Old Jun 28, 2015, 6:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I was told a lot of place in Germany don't accept cc's. As long as they give change I am fine. The kiosks for the Amsterdam trains only take cash or credit card with a pin (fortunately one of my US credit cards does have chip and pin)
You can go up to the service desk in Amsterdam (at least at Schipol Airport) to buy a ticket with a chip/signature card... The agents are super friendly and very familiar with us Americans having inferior technology.

Originally Posted by adobbing
I know they take MasterCard and also recall having issues with notes bigger than €20?
I don't have experience with MasterCard as I don't have one--this was our question because we know Maestro is owned my MasterCard.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I don't have experience with MasterCard as I don't have one--this was our question because we know Maestro is owned my MasterCard.
Not sure about Germany, but in Amsterdam there are places that only accept Maestro and not MasterCard.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
No credit cards accepted at the ticket machines http://www.bvg.de/en/Tickets/Other-w...icket-machines
They also offer the mobile solution: http://www.bvg.de/en/Tickets/Other-ways-to-buy/Mobile (I am not familiar with yet)
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Zurich
No credit cards accepted at the ticket machines http://www.bvg.de/en/Tickets/Other-w...icket-machines
They also offer the mobile solution: http://www.bvg.de/en/Tickets/Other-ways-to-buy/Mobile (I am not familiar with yet)
But the "ticket desks" located at the airport and previously alluded to would presumably take CC, no?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
But the "ticket desks" located at the airport and previously alluded to would presumably take CC, no?
In Amsterdam, yes. The area is called Schipol Plaza. It's sort of like the train station attached to the airport.

In Berlin (Tegel), their website talks about ticket desks:

http://www.berlin-airport.de/en/trav...nd-trains/faq/
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:13 pm

In Amsterdam, yes. The area is called Schipol Plaza. It's sort of like the train station attached to the airport.

In Berlin (Tegel), their website talks about ticket desks:

http://www.berlin-airport.de/en/trav...nd-trains/faq/
Right, I meant Tegel and was familiar with that link. But it does not seem to mention method of payment, or am I missing it? Thanks.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arlflyer
They most definitely do.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:39 am

I'm at the Hilton Berlin now and it's a nice property. Great location. Amazingly hot right now though. Glad the AC in my room easily does its job.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MissJ
I'm at the Hilton Berlin now and it's a nice property. Great location. Amazingly hot right now though. Glad the AC in my room easily does its job.
I'm also here on the fifth floor. Is weather is crazy. I love the exec lounge here
Old Jul 4, 2015, 2:42 am

I'm up on 6. This is my last day here, but I'll admit I've used the exec lounge to substitute a couple of meals already. Not to mention the drinks after a day in this heat.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed here July 3 to 7 and was very happy with my stay.

Got to the hotel around 11 a.m. after flying across the pond to AMS and then connecting to TXL. I asked about a suite upgrade and was told they try to upgrade diamonds to suites but had none available four nights in a row for the days I was there. There was a large open festival going on those days on the side street next to the hotel. I was told they would give me the best room they had available and the room was available. I was given room 5098 which was a pretty large room and had a good view. Seeing I had such a short layover at AMS I didn't have enough time to shower there and appreciated the early check in so I could shower and change. The weather was unseasonably hot when I was there (100 one of the days and upper 90s two of the days) and the AC worked great.

Entire staff spoke English and was great. Exec lounge was great. Was open until 11 p.m. with soda available the entire time it was open. From 6 to 8 they had complimentary alcohol and the spirits were similar to what you would find in a Delta sky club, not top shelf but decent midlevel brands and they had Bailey's as well. Exec lounge had plenty of seating and never had an issue finding a seat. Exec lounge will allow diamonds to check in and check out as well at this hotel.

Great location. Subway stop literally across the street and plenty of restaurants nearby.

Very easy to get to from the airport via public transit. I took the TXL bus to get there and the subway/bus to return. The TXL bus requires a little bit of walking from the closest stop but not too bad. The subway has elevator access but for the line you have to walk down two streets and turn left and the elevator is there. The station you transfer to for the bus didn't have an elevator so you have to walk up a flight of steps and then there is an escalator for the last few steps so that can be a pain but no walking is involved.

Diamonds can chose between the lounge or breakfast room for breakfast. I chose the breakfast room and with the exception of the SF Union Square Hilton (when you get a server who will waive the upcharge for a full buffet), it is the best Hilton breakfast I have ever had. Plenty of hot and cold food choices and there is an omelette station. My only complain about the breakfast is that they don't start serving until 7 a.m. and I had an early flight my last morning there and wasn't able to take advantage of the breakfast before heading to the airport.
Very safe area.

I was on points and money stay and felt I got a great deal. I will definitely stay here again if I return to Berlin. Best Hilton stay I've had in a while, they treat diamond's right.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I stayed here July 3 to 7 and was very happy with my stay.

Got to the hotel around 11 a.m. after flying across the pond to AMS and then connecting to TXL. I asked about a suite upgrade and was told they try to upgrade diamonds to suites but had none available four nights in a row for the days I was there. There was a large open festival going on those days on the side street next to the hotel. I was told they would give me the best room they had available and the room was available. I was given room 5098 which was a pretty large room and had a good view. Seeing I had such a short layover at AMS I didn't have enough time to shower there and appreciated the early check in so I could shower and change. The weather was unseasonably hot when I was there (100 one of the days and upper 90s two of the days) and the AC worked great.

Entire staff spoke English and was great. Exec lounge was great. Was open until 11 p.m. with soda available the entire time it was open. From 6 to 8 they had complimentary alcohol and the spirits were similar to what you would find in a Delta sky club, not top shelf but decent midlevel brands and they had Bailey's as well. Exec lounge had plenty of seating and never had an issue finding a seat. Exec lounge will allow diamonds to check in and check out as well at this hotel.

Great location. Subway stop literally across the street and plenty of restaurants nearby.

Very easy to get to from the airport via public transit. I took the TXL bus to get there and the subway/bus to return. The TXL bus requires a little bit of walking from the closest stop but not too bad. The subway has elevator access but for the line you have to walk down two streets and turn left and the elevator is there. The station you transfer to for the bus didn't have an elevator so you have to walk up a flight of steps and then there is an escalator for the last few steps so that can be a pain but no walking is involved.

Diamonds can chose between the lounge or breakfast room for breakfast. I chose the breakfast room and with the exception of the SF Union Square Hilton (when you get a server who will waive the upcharge for a full buffet), it is the best Hilton breakfast I have ever had. Plenty of hot and cold food choices and there is an omelette station. My only complain about the breakfast is that they don't start serving until 7 a.m. and I had an early flight my last morning there and wasn't able to take advantage of the breakfast before heading to the airport.
Very safe area.

I was on points and money stay and felt I got a great deal. I will definitely stay here again if I return to Berlin. Best Hilton stay I've had in a while, they treat diamond's right.
^ I really like this property minus the horrible wifi problems we had, but I assume that's fixed by now, hopefully!
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

^ I really like this property minus the horrible wifi problems we had, but I assume that's fixed by now, hopefully!
WIFI worked great when I was there. Logged in with my room number and last name and it said I had premium wifi that was fast enough for video streaming. Didn't try doing that but the speed worked great for everything I used it for and no dropped connections.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.