Hilton Berlin {DEU}

Old Jan 4, 99, 3:02 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Arrow Hilton Berlin {DEU}

Anyone know anything about this location--a friend found a 200 dm weekend rate, buy 2 nights get a 3d free?

This is for my weekend in Berlin in February
Old Jan 4, 99, 5:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
the rate is ok (even very good) for weekdays, average for weekends. For weekends I personally would try to get a special rate for the InterConti Schweizerhof (more Berlin flair) and better/more central location.
Old Jan 5, 99, 2:08 pm
Commander Catcop

Sorry, this is going to be a LONG posting.

Rudi is Right about the I-C... it's a more
central location in Berlin.

I took the Hilton because I got a chance to use points for a free two night stay on my way back from my Central Europe trip (also stayed there to earn points in my arrival trip from the U-S to sleep off the Jetlag.)

The Hilton's in the Former East Berlin. From
when I was there (two years ago) the area kind of dies at night. Hotel I think was a Soviet built hotel, basic, clean rooms though the Halls and some of the furnishings looked out of 19-60's Moscow. The Lobby and grand Staircase is beautiful, and if he's still working there's a conseierge with salt and pepper hair and beard, multi-lingual who was very helpful on my dumb questions (like where's the supermarket) as well as making sure my free stays were honored. I forget his name.

There's a good german and French restaurant in the hotel I dined in. They did not mind they were serving a single man.

Hilton's a decent walk to the Brandenburg gate and Checkpoint Charlie and of course the Wall. Do take the subway if you can. It's clean and safe. You'll see various views of the Changing Berlin from the renewal in the East to the graffiti and homeless who kept asking me for change for Beer in the West near this restaurant that specialized in Fried Chicken.

If you walk behind the hotel you'll see that horrid constrution of Soviet Era Germany. Went there to get cough medicine, there's also a supermarket if you need muchchie food.

People cordial, the young immediately detected I was an American. I don't know why.

If I go I would stay there again unless I get a better deal from I-C or the Westin )closer to The gate.)

Enjoy your trip and give us a review of your travels when you get back! CATMAN
Old Feb 8, 01, 8:55 pm

Programs: CX GR; AA Life GLD, EXP; SPG Life GLD, PLT
Is the IC mentioned here the "IC Berlin" near the "garden"?

Also, I am currently thinking about Forum Berlin (at Alexander platz) b'cos it is the former GDR government built hotel. But if Hilton get better deal I think I will go for hilton (points)

Anybody can suggest where to get good deal for hotels in Berlin? (1 night only since after that I will stay with fellow classmates in Hostel at Rosa Lun???????? Platz)

Thanks!
Old Feb 8, 01, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
The effective DEM 133 /nt isn't too bad (quite good if it includes breakfast). I paid slightly more (DEM 173) in August. My only complaint about the room was that the a/c was barely adequate (not something to worry about now?) otherwise it was quite nice.

As for location, it all depends on what you want. It's right across from one of the concert halls and not too far from the opera house. I think the Guggenheim(?) is close by too. There is a little neighborhood across the canal (associated with the local church) that supposedly replicates the atmosphere of pre-war medieval Berlin.

See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum81/HTML/001142.html

[This message has been edited by terenz (edited 02-08-2001).]
Old Feb 8, 01, 10:28 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire/Ambassador
Hey HK-UMICH,

ALWAYS try the Hilton Website first and then call the 800 center and then call hotel direct. Also try the prepay route, it is amazing some of the deals I've received w/prepaying.

[This message has been edited by Sweet Willie (edited 02-08-2001).]
Old Feb 9, 01, 4:42 am

Programs: CX GR; AA Life GLD, EXP; SPG Life GLD, PLT
Originally posted by terenz:
The effective DEM 133 /nt isn't too bad (quite good if it includes breakfast). I paid slightly more (DEM 173) in August
Terenz, Would you mind telling me where you get such low rate? I searched travelweb and hilton.com and they both get rates near 300mark/night !

Thanks!
Old Feb 9, 01, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
As noted, the Hilton is about a block east of Frederikstrasse, one of the main routes in the old Eastern sector, quite close to CheckPoint Charlie and the eastern museum district, but quite a ways from the main districts of the old West. You can walk to the Brandenburg Gate as Catman has noted (20-minutes), as well as to the Parliament. And in the other direction, to the architecturally interesting Holocaust Museum. There is good public transit and the Airport bus in from TXL, or S-baun from Templehof, are a block to the west of the Hilton.

I stayed at the Westin, also on Frederikstrasse, about three blocks from the Hilton (through the Galleries Lafayette and other luxe shopping arcades). And found the district fine for my needs, though I enjoy walking and taking local transit. For most nightlife, the district where most restaurants and nitelife are located in the old West by the main train station (by the Zoo). Alexandraplatz in the far East is a rather bleak looking place with its austere Soviet Moderne architecture.

Lots to see and do. I found the old East to be more interesting than the old West, just to be able to get a better sense of what life may have been like under the old Communist regimes. And living in a divided city.
Old Feb 9, 01, 7:09 am

Originally posted by Shareholder:
For most nightlife, the district where most restaurants and nitelife are located in the old West by the main train station (by the Zoo).
On the contrary! Most nightlife I care for is found in Mitte which is the center of the former East. Also quite active nightlife is in Prenzlauer Berg.

Old Feb 9, 01, 6:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I would agree with Curt. I've been to Berlin twice. The first time was before the Wall came tumbling down and most of the time was, of necessity, spent in the West. I went again two years ago and stayed at the Hilton which is very conveniently located for all of the sites in the East. As a matter of fact, almost all of our time was spent in the East and we walked nearly everywhere - including the fabulous Museum Island, Unter den Linden, the Opera House and it is 1/2 block from the Gendarmenmarkt -the beautiful neoclassical square which has twin churces (Hugenot and German) and surrounded by a bevy of chic restaurants.

[This message has been edited by ILuvParis (edited 02-09-2001).]
Old Jun 14, 01, 2:08 pm

Hilton Berlin

Hi all!

I'm a newbie, but have been reading for a few weeks. I'm newly minted gold thanks to EWRDC!! I'm flying to TXL in a few weeks and am booked at the Berlin Hilton. I've stayed there a few times before, but am curious as to what to expect re: upgrades. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 2, 01, 12:28 pm

Berlin Hilton- Any tips?

Hi,

I will stay at the Hilton Berlin tomorrow as a Gold VIP (EWRDC). Has anybody experience with this hotel and any tips for the best room etc.
Thanks in advance

Tim
Old Aug 2, 01, 3:14 pm

I stayed there for two nights in June. Quite nice hotel and a great location. Try to make sure you get rooms facing the Gendarmenmarkt.

In accordance with their policy for non-US properties they refused to upgrade me to the Executive Floor (even though I was told by the US reservation that there were plenty of rooms and I should get an upgrade) and it took to ask for the manager to get access to the Exec Lounge (which is nothing special). I did get free breakfast, though, and not just Continental but their very nice buffet in the main breakfast room.

If you want to go for a fine dinner (or "Sekt") experience try Lutter & Wegner on the Gendarmenmarkt, just two minutes up the street.
Old Aug 2, 01, 3:23 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by reisevergnuegen:
In accordance with their policy for non-US properties they refused to upgrade me to the Executive Floor (even though I was told by the US reservation that there were plenty of rooms and I should get an upgrade) and it took to ask for the manager to get access to the Exec Lounge (which is nothing special). I did get free breakfast, though, and not just Continental but their very nice buffet in the main breakfast room.</font>
Well, I would not say that this is in accordance with the policy ("At Hilton hotels outisde the U.S. with Executive Floors, Gold VIPs will be provided with a guest room on the Executive Floor, whenever possible."

I'll be at the Berlin Hilton in 2 weeks - I would hate to fight for the perks.
Tim, I would appreciate to get a short report of your stay. All the best from MUC...
Old Aug 2, 01, 4:14 pm
Community Director

I stayed at the Berlin Hilton in June. I was not put on the Executive Floor, but was given access to it. That works for me; I don't mind taking an elevator a few floors up.

I enjoyed the location of the Hilton. It was easy walking distance to the Pergamon Museum, one of my all time favorite museums in the world.

The Hilton is about a 2 block walk from the Four Seasons. Paparrazi were camped out front; Madonna was due in that night for her Berlin concerts. She had booked a suite at the Four Seasons, but rumor subsequently had it that she put the family and entourage up in a villa on the outskirts of Berlin.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: