Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Checkers Los Angeles {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Checkers Los Angeles {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2011, 11:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I suppose they could be conforming to Hilton standards, but I know and have stayed at too many Hilton properties that extend a full breakfast to Diamonds (and often Golds), so IMO I think the property is merely making excuses and blaming corporate policy for what was a cost-based decision made by the property owners or managers. (Who was it who said "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, try to baffle them with b*******?" Sounds like one of those cases.)
Old Apr 10, 2011, 5:51 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Very unfortunate...was one of the best breakfasts in the chain, and often spurred me to stay at that property vs. somewhere else. Bonehead move on Hilton's part.
+1

We were there about a week ago and had the full breakfast ....

Thanks to the OP for the head's up -- the next time we're out that way, we'll probably stay somewhere else.

Bob h
Old Apr 10, 2011, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
I suppose they could be conforming to Hilton standards, but I know and have stayed at too many Hilton properties that extend a full breakfast to Diamonds (and often Golds), so IMO I think the property is merely making excuses and blaming corporate policy for what was a cost-based decision made by the property owners or managers. (Who was it who said "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, try to baffle them with b*******?" Sounds like one of those cases.)
This is almost certainly what happened.

Originally Posted by Thomas Parke D'Invilliers
This Is Blackstone who is coming into a property and telling house managment how to run a property that has something that is the signature to the Checkers property. In essence, they are saying we do not want you to offer a hot breakfast because our other high end Hilton properties no longer offer this as a complimentary amentity for our Diamond or Gold members.
This is almost certainly not what happened. Hilton sets minimum standards, not maximum standards. If the hotel chooses to offer something better, they are free to do so.

But there is one way to know for sure. If, from this day forward, no Hilton elite receives a comped full, hot breakfast at any Hilton anywhere in the world, then Thomas Parke D'Invilliers was right. If we continue to receive comped full breakfast at other Hiltons, then JDiver was right. I'm betting on JDiver, but as he says, you never know.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:40 am

Programs: AA (ExecPlat.), UA, DL, Hertz (Club Gold), Avis, Hilton (Diamond VIP), Starwood, Marriott

To the original poster- you should be outraged rather than resigned to the fact that this property has "earned" your loyalty. Taking away a hot breakfast- to me is really a symbolic gesture that runs completely counter to Hilton's mantra of "Be Hospitable".
You make some very good and valid points. Speaking only for myself, there are many things in the world that spark my rage, but this is not one of them. Disappointment yes, rage no. For the value (I have a decent corporate rate), convenience and service, I much prefer Hilton Checkers, with or without a full breakfast, than The Biltmore, Omni, Bonaventure or Marriott. The Hyatt does not have a property in downtown Los Angeles. Of course, I would love to stay the The Ritz, but it is just a bit too far from my office.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 12:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Gold
Hilton Los Angeles properties are overpriced and not Diamond friendly (for the most part). L.A. Hiltons are not worth the money with bonehead decisions like this.

Not a bad idea to save the money and shop for the best deal at other chains when in LA if they won't offer perks to diamond/gold members.

I always amaze myself that I am so loyal to Hilton when they keep taking and not giving. So confusing
Old Apr 10, 2011, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I were the one staying 2-3 nights a week every week year in and year out, i would arrange to meet the GM and explain that if the perk was going away, then so was I. I believe you will then find that this perk will be extended to you again.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA (ExecPlat.), UA, DL, Hertz (Club Gold), Avis, Hilton (Diamond VIP), Starwood, Marriott
Originally Posted by hfly
If I were the one staying 2-3 nights a week every week year in and year out, i would arrange to meet the GM and explain that if the perk was going away, then so was I. I believe you will then find that this perk will be extended to you again.
On my agenda for the coming week's trip.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 5:33 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Hilton San Diego & Hilton Ontario

Both the Hilton San Diego Gas Lamp and the Hilton in Ontario (ONT) offer free full breakfast in the restaurant (even though the ONT property has an executive lounge).

Do you think they will change soon as well? I had just figured this perk (rules have always said contiential) was basically a property decision to go above and beyond what is offered as a perk.

I travel on state business to Hilton's in California and the $6 that we get per diem doesn't go too far. Even though I'm not big on breakfast, it is nice to be able to choose from a full breakfast offering.

Dawn
Old Apr 10, 2011, 6:41 pm

Programs: United 1P, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Was there a date given when the hot breakfast will be over? I have a stay coming up in May and I miss their bacon, oatmeal and waffles!!!
Old Apr 10, 2011, 6:56 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
To the original poster- you should be outraged rather than resigned to the fact that this property has "earned" your loyalty.
agreed
Originally Posted by thumbun
Disappointment yes, rage no. For the value (I have a decent corporate rate), convenience and service, I much prefer Hilton Checkers, with or without a full breakfast....
I'd ask to change the bene's of the corporate rate or at least your own perks, if you are giving them that much business.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by JoJoBoi
Was there a date given when the hot breakfast will be over? I have a stay coming up in May and I miss their bacon, oatmeal and waffles!!!
Full bfast gone as of at least last week.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 8:13 pm

Programs: United 1P, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thumbun
Full bfast gone as of at least last week.
SOOOOOO SAD
Old Apr 10, 2011, 9:26 pm

Programs: Southwest CP A List, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Pure Platinum, Body Shop VIP
Symbolic That Hilton Advertises "Be Hospitable"...

Let me clarify a few things here...

I am outraged as much for the corporate decision making by Blackstone (The Hilton Checkers Is Managed By Hilton and Is Owned By Chesapeake Lodging Trust, an Annapolis, Md.-based lodging and real estate investment trust), and the fact that this decision on the change in breakfast came down from Blackstone and not internally by the GM at the property.

This is simply so Blackstone can maintain uniformity with their other high end properties that come under the "Hilton" brand.

As a Diamond & Gold Honors member, if you have stayed at the brand new Hilton Bayfront in San Diego you do not receive a full breakfast, even though they have a hot buffet offering in the morning. In fact, they give you a Starbucks voucher for coffee and a bagel... another disgrace. This also has Blackstone's fingerprints and really shows the direction they are headed with in terms of acknowledging the Hhonors loyalty programs.

Breakfast is a symbolic aspect of the American traveler... the definition of being on the "American" plan back in Conrad Hilton's day was associated with a fixed stay rate at a property that included a full hot "American Breakfast". How can Hilton advertise to "Be Hospitable" when they feel that offering 1000 points is a realistic alternative to a Diamond or Gold member who has been receiving a hot breakfast with the nightly rate for the past 10-20 years...?

Blackstone, is not a hotelier. They made a really bad investment three years ago and are doing everything in their power to squeeze profitability out of the Hilton brand. Eventually they will take Hilton and spin it off as a public company again. Until then, they will continue to damage the spirit of hospitality and give away the loyalty of their Diamond and Gold members to Hyatt, SPG and Marriott.

My outrage is also because there are good and loyal employees at the Downtown LA Checkers property whose jobs are being affected by this terrible decision. You have employees who have worked at this hotel for 15+ years where breakfast at the Checkers Hotel was part of the iconic experience at staying at this property. They rely on gratuities. When you have people now shrugging their shoulders- taking the 1000 points and never coming into the dining room- you are hurting these good and loyal employees.

Did Blackstone consider this in their decision to force poor corporate policy on this unique boutique property?
Old Apr 10, 2011, 9:54 pm

Programs: Southwest CP A List, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Pure Platinum, Body Shop VIP
An Open Message To Blackstone.... "Be Hospitable"

This Message Was Originally Posted & Then Removed...Please Replace It In Its Original Place When Posted April 10, 2011 Approx 2:03 A.M.

I know this property like the back of my hand...

This is Blackstone who is coming into a property and telling house managment how to run a property that has something that is the signature to the Checkers property. In essence, they are saying we do not want you to offer a hot breakfast because our other high end Hilton properties no longer offer this as a complimentary amentity for our Diamond or Gold members.

Really this is what Blackstone thinks of their Diamond members. In essence, they would rather have their hotels filled with Hotwire/Expedia/Priceline payees rather than return the loyalty that comes with being a Diamond member and booking through the Hilton website.

And really, is it a cost detriment to provide a hot breakfast with juice and coffee for Hilton Diamond members that put thousands of dollars into Blackstone's pockets?

To the original poster- you should be outraged rather than resigned to the fact that this property has "earned" your loyalty. Taking away a hot breakfast- to me is really a symbolic gesture that runs completely counter to Hilton's mantra of "Be Hospitable".

This is where I push back, and tell Hilton that Hyatt thanks you for sending this and other Diamond members running to Hyatt's expanded list of properties. Hyatt is going to gut Hilton if Blackstone continues to disregard its most loyal members...

Hard to believe that you can get a hot breakfast item at a Hampton Inn but no longer as a Diamond member at a Hilton property that has an average nightly rate in the $200's...

Also, Blackstone, please consider that the economic detriment experienced by the breakfast staff that have been working the Breakfast/Dining room for over the past 15 years... I am certain that when people choose the cheesy 1000 points it is taking gratuities out of their pockets. Really disturbing to these great people who I am certain people on this board know by their first name. This is really the most disheartening aspect of Blackstone's policies. 1000 points- what a disgrace.

I would like to see a Blackstone/Hilton Executive debate me on this issue...
Old Apr 10, 2011, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
As a Diamond & Gold Honors member, if you have stayed at the brand new Hilton Bayfront in San Diego you do not receive a full breakfast, even though they have a hot buffet offering in the morning. In fact, they give you a Starbucks voucher for coffee and a bagel... another disgrace.
Hilton Sea-Tac Airport switched from the hot breakfast to Starbucks voucher a while back as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.