Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Checkers Los Angeles {US-CA}

Hilton Checkers Los Angeles {US-CA}

Old Oct 21, 02, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Arrow Hilton Checkers Los Angeles {US-CA}

In an effort to stay afloat in the struggling hospitality industry, Downtown's Wyndham Checkers Hotel will undergo a $4 million renovation and reemerge as a Hilton franchise in December.

The boutique hotel on Grand Avenue, popular among business travelers as well as locals for its upscale restaurant and bar, will be known as the Hilton Checkers Los Angeles.

"We think that the very well known Hilton name will give us great exposure that we've never had before," said Checkers' General Manager Joe Mottershead.

Mottershead said the hotel's owner, Costa Mesa-based Tarsadia Hotels, considered finding a new franchise when they purchased Checkers two years ago. Although Tarsadia took over management of the hotel after buying it, the company continued to pay a "franchise fee" to Wyndham for use of its name. In June, after months of discussion, Tarsadia completed the Hilton deal.

http://www.downtownnews.com/display/...cles/news2.txt
Old Oct 21, 02, 11:54 am

Programs: Delta Diamond/3MM; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Starwood Platinum; Marriott Platinum; Hertz PC
That's great news. I love this hotel, and Downtown LA has been without a Hilton for too long.
Old Oct 21, 02, 12:35 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Platinum & MM; DL Diamond; AA dirt; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
I also think it is a first rate property. Pretty smart move by the owners to link up with Hilton. Occupancy rates should be high using Hilton's marketing clout, since it only has 203 rooms.

Old Oct 21, 02, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL & HH Dia, MR Titan, IHG Spire
Well, I think this isn't such great news.

Checkers was the only Wyndham where I got the "full" By Request food selections on every stay. Other Wyndhams aren't so consistent. When you ask for the cheese plate, you get a dinner-sized, first class, enormous tray of cheeses and crackers. That will all go away under Hilton.

Also, I wonder why they need a $4 million renovation. The hotel appears to be in tip-top shape.
Old Oct 21, 02, 5:44 pm

This is a wonderful addition to the Hilton chain. The Checkers is a fabulous hotel, I've recommended it over a hundred times and have never had an adverse comment. I hope they keep their excellent staff -- very friendly and professional.
Old Oct 29, 02, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA Premier, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Globalist
Interesting story in today's NY Times regarding Checkers departure from Wyndham.

The Hidden Costs of a Hotel Room
Old Oct 30, 02, 12:28 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Platinum & MM; DL Diamond; AA dirt; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Quite interesting, Bill. Kind of surprised Wyndham would comment negatively about the hotel's ownership in the article.

... It seems that Wyndham officials have already had pointed discussions with the private company that owns the Wyndham Checkers and operates it as a franchisee. By what both sides said was mutual agreement, the Wyndham name is coming off the property.

Minibar pricing was partly at issue in the decision to haul down the Wyndham flag when the Los Angeles hotel didn't go along with a new policy requiring across-the-board price reductions, Mr. Kleisner said.

He explained, "One of the core issues I had was, while it's a very interesting and with-it hotel, when we franchise our name you must subscribe 100 percent to our brand requirements

We'll see if Hilton can "tame" the owners.

[This message has been edited by Craig6z (edited 10-29-2002).]
Old Oct 30, 02, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've stayed at the Checkers numerous times - it's a fantastic hotel. Earning HHonors stays is a plus.
Old Oct 30, 02, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver, WN A-, AA LT Gold, IHG S/KIC, NCR EC
It is a very nice hotel even before dumping in $4M. A friend of mine spent 4-5 nights a week for six months there back before it became a Wyndham and adored it. I'm just getting ill over how many HHonors points she would have racked up now!
Old Dec 10, 02, 2:03 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
Hilton Returns to Downtown Los Angeles with Opening of Newly Renovated Checkers Hotel

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/021210/100139_1.html

Press Release Source: Hilton Hotels Corporation

Hilton Returns to Downtown Los Angeles with Opening of Newly Renovated Checkers Hotel
Tuesday December 10, 8:08 am ET

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 10, 2002--Hilton Hotels Corporation has announced the opening of the Hilton Checkers Los Angeles, representing another addition to the brand's growing roster of full-service hotels.

The Hilton Checkers Los Angeles has long been recognized as one of downtown Los Angeles' finest hotels by the most savvy and discriminating travelers. Centered in the heart of the city's main business and financial district, the hotel is within blocks of all major downtown office complexes as well as close proximity to the STAPLES Center(TM), the Los Angeles Convention Center, the Music Center, the new Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels and numerous museums, fine dining restaurants and shopping districts.

Formerly the Wyndham Checkers Hotel, the Hilton Checkers Los Angeles will continue to be managed by Tarsadia Hotels and operated under a franchise license agreement with Hilton Hotels Corporation.

"Hilton is proud to return to one of the country's largest downtown districts with the addition of another elegant center city hotel to its roster," said Robert E. Dirks, senior vice president - brand management & marketing for the Hilton brand. "We look forward to complementing the efforts of the local hotel team with the strength of our global marketing, sales and technology infrastructure to encourage our most loyal business and leisure travelers to return to downtown Los Angeles and stay with us at the new Hilton Checkers Los Angeles."

The Hilton Checkers Los Angeles, a multi-year recipient of the AAA Four Diamond Award for excellent customer service and hotel facilities, is in the final stages of completing a $4 million hotelwide renovation, which includes both guestrooms and public space enhancements. The hotel is situated in a building which dates back to the 1920s and is listed on the National Historic Register.

The 12-story hotel offers the upscale combination of an intimate, contemporary residential experience with professional, personalized service. Each of the Hilton Checkers Los Angeles' guest rooms, including ten suites, have been carefully appointed with the comfort and convenience of the business traveler in mind. Guestroom features include high-speed internet access, 27-inch flat screen televisions, custom-designed desks, luxurious leather desk chairs, and marble-appointed bathrooms with plush terry robes.

The hotel's stunning rooftop deck, which showcases a shimmering pool amidst a breathtaking view of the city skyline, is perfect for dinners, receptions or romantic evenings for two. More than 3,000 square feet of naturally lit, indoor banquet and meeting space can accommodate receptions of up to 100 people. At the end of a long day, the Hilton Checkers Los Angeles provides the perfect inner-city retreat with the award-winning CheckersDowntown restaurant for upscale casual and fine dining, a fully-equipped fitness facility and the Checkers Spa for an array of European-style relaxation and beauty treatments.

"Our entire hotel team is excited to represent the Hilton brand's return to downtown Los Angeles. This is definitely a strong and positive development for continuing to build upon our hotel's longstanding legacy in the downtown Los Angeles business community," said Joseph Mottershead, general manager of the new Hilton Checkers Los Angeles. "By offering Hilton HHonors®, one of the industry's leading guest loyalty programs, to our guests along with our award-winning services, this new Hilton combination with one of downtown Los Angeles' most respected hotels certainly presents some powerful advantages to our current and potential customers."

Just 30 minutes from both Los Angeles International and Burbank-Glendale-Pasadena airports, the Hilton Checkers Los Angeles is located near the intersection of Grand Avenue and 5th Street at 535 South Grand Avenue, Los Angeles, Calif. 90071; phone: 213/624-0000; fax: 213/626-9906.

Hilton Hotels Corporation is recognized internationally as a preeminent hospitality company. The company develops, owns, manages or franchises more than 2,000 hotels, resorts and vacation ownership properties. Its portfolio includes many of the world's best known and most highly regarded hotel brands, including Hilton®, Conrad(TM), Doubletree®, Embassy Suites Hotels®, Hampton Inn®, Hampton Inn & Suites®, Hilton Garden Inn®, Hilton Grand Vacations Company® and Homewood Suites® by Hilton.

For more information about the Hilton collection of full-service hotels, please visit our website at www.hilton.com or call 1-800-HILTONS.

NOTE: Photos available upon request.

Hilton Hotels Corporation
Jeanne Datz / Thomas Wingham, 310/205-4545
[email protected] / [email protected]
http://www.hiltonworldwide.com
or
Tarsadia Hotels
Lynn Kozlowski, 714/708-6126
[email protected]

Source: Hilton Hotels Corporation
Old Dec 10, 02, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
See also http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/005716.html
Old Dec 10, 02, 3:28 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
Thanks cactuspete. It's now open as a Hilton.

[This message has been edited by A320 EOW (edited 12-10-2002).]
Old Dec 11, 02, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I can confirm this.

I saw the sign from my suite at the Bonaventure last Saturday night.
Old Dec 12, 02, 10:42 pm
In Memoriam

I was able to get a two-night award stay there in January. It's in exactly the location I wanted, so I'm happy this is now a Hilton.
Old Mar 6, 03, 12:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage Plat/1mm/Admirals Club,United Club (life),Marriott Plat,Hilton & Accor Gold,Priority Pass
This hotel is great!

I just completed a stay at Checkers and really enjoyed it. The service is first rate, the rooms are very nice, and the ambiance is unmatched by any of the downtown behemoths. This is truly one of the shining stars of the Hilton chain.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: