Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Worst Hotel Experience Ever [Hampton Inn, Jacksonville]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worst Hotel Experience Ever [Hampton Inn, Jacksonville]

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2016, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by smmrfld
I would absolutely love to hear the other side of this tale.
I think we have heard it. OP made a reservation for the wrong length of time, a desk agent tried to fulfill their job of clearing out rooms needed for arriving guests, and OP got mad due to personal circumstances which were understandably upsetting but unrelated to the hotel's business operations.

Also, most Hamptons are independently owned and staffed so I don't know why OP would threaten to never stay in one again. They're often some of the better properties in the hhonors portfolio. While most FTers know this, I don't think the general, less-frequently-traveling public realizes just how much variation there is on a property-by-property level...hence the need for things like a multi-thousand-post thread to describe the breakfast offerings at hotels of the same brand, supposedly with the same brand standard. It isn't enough just to research the brand - you have to research the exact property.
Old May 21, 2016, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Michael19887
OP is correct here in my eyes, and sorry for your loss. Anyone in Lxxxxxx's position with BASIC hospitality training, or honestly even just a small amount of decency for another person in a stressful situation, would have just said, "I'm sorry for your loss and the misunderstanding. I will do my very best to figure out a solution and call you back."
I'm willing to bet the front desk clerk was in no way like how the OP described her. If she were, she would not have bothered locating the manager who I assume was off and calling the OP back to let her know, they would be able to accommodate her the additional night.

A lazy un-bothered clerk would have simply sat down and not given the OP another thought.

Last edited by Canarsie; May 22, 2016 at 4:09 pm Reason: Removed now-deleted content from quote.
Old May 21, 2016, 10:25 pm
jxd

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
I'm willing to bet the front desk clerk was in no way like how the OP described her. If she were, she would not have bothered locating the manager who I assume was off and calling the OP back to let her know, they would be able to accommodate her the additional night.

A lazy un-bothered clerk would have simply sat down and not given the OP another thought.
I agree. Maybe the way the clerk worded her sentence sounded unsympathetic but at least she bothered to help. Takes two hands to clap.

It's unfortunate you're there for a funeral, but if it's you're mistake, you can't expect everyone to sympathise with you. And if OP wants a first class service, pay $400 a night for something like the Ritz, not a Hampton INN.
Old May 21, 2016, 11:18 pm

OP, I am sorry for your lost. But if you could confirm the exact reservation details, it would help you move forward. I have heard of cases where entire reservations are "missing" but never a case of part reservation missing. This had always turned out to be a mistake on the one making the reservation, wrong dates entered. Also, exact details would have been on the checkin sheet which you or your husband acknowledged. While you were under a lot of stress, it does not mean the rest of the world will automatically grant you free pass. You should also check out first class hotel rates. They are in multiples of 135.
Old May 22, 2016, 3:42 am

Considering she has an email with the exact booking and makes responses like "it was stressful, I don't know" we can be pretty sure they did in fact not book until the 15th.

Since that is the main point of her complaint all the rest falls, too. If she lies about that, what else is she lying about?

And why would anyone have their phones on and taking a call from a number they don't recognize at a funeral?

Last edited by Canarsie; May 22, 2016 at 3:59 pm Reason: Removed attempted bypass of the profanity filter.
Old May 22, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by theddo

And why would anyone have their phones on and taking a call from a number they don't recognize at a funeral?
I wondered about that, too, and I think we have to assume the family was in the middle of the funeral "activities" - not literally the service! You attend the public service at 10 AM then the family & close friends hop into the town cars to drive to the gravesite, then hop into the cars to drive back to the house for the reception. It takes hours, or at least it does in Texas where my grandparents & in-laws have passed. So she could have checked her phone during one of the down periods. Otherwise I just can't imagine...

Last edited by Canarsie; May 22, 2016 at 3:59 pm Reason: Removed now-deleted content from quote.
Old May 23, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
What state was this stay in (FL, VA, etc) and what are that state's laws regarding extension of a stay? In many states, a hotel guest can't be made to leave, even if they over-stay their reservation, unless they are causing a disturbance or have become a health/safety/hygene risk. That said, over-stays are usually charged at rack rate, so it's not advised. Anyone know if this is the case in FL/VA/wherever?
Old May 23, 2016, 2:23 pm

In FL, they can be locked out/removed if they overstay.
Old May 24, 2016, 12:22 pm

Too many holes in this story for me to sympathize with OP (such as the previously mentioned "who has their phone on and takes a call from an unknown number at a funeral?"). Condolences for the loss, of course, but it seems like OP (or OP's husband) caused most of the problems here. Unfortunately budget travelers often have to take matters into their own hands. That includes verifying booking dates (both at booking AND at checkin). Saying WE'RE AT A FUNERAL is not magic wand that absolves OP of all responsibility and/or effort to resolve the situation.
Old May 24, 2016, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jxd
I agree. Maybe the way the clerk worded her sentence sounded unsympathetic but at least she bothered to help. Takes two hands to clap.

It's unfortunate you're there for a funeral, but if it's you're mistake, you can't expect everyone to sympathise with you. And if OP wants a first class service, pay $400 a night for something like the Ritz, not a Hampton INN.
Many luxury hotels have the word "Inn" in their name. The Inn at Little Washington (R&C) is only one example.
Old May 24, 2016, 1:33 pm

So...while the OP didn't specify exactly which Hampton Inn she stayed at, the 2 I glanced at in Jacksonville have 12noon checkout times.

So why would the OP have been given a ring on her cell phone at 11am? If I can check out at noontime, there's no reason to be forced to leave the hotel an hour early.

As mentioned, why would the OP even answer the cell phone if at a funeral?

When I check in, generally the front desk clerk always says "And I see you're staying with us for 1 night", or "I see you're staying with us until the 15th", or something. And then I get the paperwork to sign. So if anything is wrong, there's usually 2 chances to realize it.

How would the front desk clerk know the person was out in their first comment to the OP, as indicated via the OP's transcript?

I wonder how frantic they were trying to find another hotel? It doesn't take all that long to do using a 3rd party site that gives you every hotel option available.

I would love to hear the other side of this story also. I'm sure it would be something like "The reservation was only until the 13th, but we extended them one day already, letting them know we were sold out on the 14th..."
Old May 24, 2016, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
So...while the OP didn't specify exactly which Hampton Inn she stayed at, the 2 I glanced at in Jacksonville have 12noon checkout times.

So why would the OP have been given a ring on her cell phone at 11am? If I can check out at noontime, there's no reason to be forced to leave the hotel an hour early.

As mentioned, why would the OP even answer the cell phone if at a funeral?

When I check in, generally the front desk clerk always says "And I see you're staying with us for 1 night", or "I see you're staying with us until the 15th", or something. And then I get the paperwork to sign. So if anything is wrong, there's usually 2 chances to realize it.

How would the front desk clerk know the person was out in their first comment to the OP, as indicated via the OP's transcript?

I wonder how frantic they were trying to find another hotel? It doesn't take all that long to do using a 3rd party site that gives you every hotel option available.

I would love to hear the other side of this story also. I'm sure it would be something like "The reservation was only until the 13th, but we extended them one day already, letting them know we were sold out on the 14th..."
It's never happened to me in the US, but I've often had housekeeping check my room before the official check out time and try to clean it and prepare for the next guests. I've had housekeeping try and barge in repeatedly 4hrs before check-out.

A long time ago they used to check the minibar, too, but I cannot remember that happening when I've paid by credit card.

If the did so and noticed bags unpacked at slightly past 11 with the guests nowhere to be seen... well.
Old May 24, 2016, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by theddo
It's never happened to me in the US, but I've often had housekeeping check my room before the official check out time and try to clean it and prepare for the next guests. I've had housekeeping try and barge in repeatedly 4hrs before check-out.
The Santa Fe Hilton is notorious for doing that....

Without fail, on check-out day, housekeeping will knock and try to get us out of the room, several hours before checkout time.

And once, while we were out on the plaza at 9:00 am, housekeeping came into the room and moved all of our stuff out, including our little cooler, which they then conveniently (or, in their words, "accidentally") left on their cleaning cart when we were trying to locate everything that had gotten moved out. That little stunt really burned me.

As of the OP, from the story presented, I am not particularly sympathetic to their claim.
Old May 24, 2016, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
(1) It's pretty clear you booked for the 14th, not the 15th.

(2) I've stayed in a ton of Hampton Inns and *never* gotten a phone call from them 1 hour prior to checkout. Are you sure it wasn't, say, 1PM? Or 2PM? I've certainly had housekeeping poke around wanting to clean the room, but I know they don't go right to my cellphone with a threatening tone before I'm supposed to be gone.

(3) I think you misunderstand what a Hampton Inn is. That's okay: a lot of people probably do. It's not a roadside motel anymore - it's definitely positioned itself in the marketplace well above a Motel 6 or a Super 8. My personal opinion is that it's solidly better than a Fairfield Inn, its closest competitor. Thus, a $100+/night rate is not uncommon. I find most of them worth about that, and happily take book over the $49.99 motels when I'm in a part of the country where these are the main options. They're probably my favorite rural brand, with HIX #2. (Disclaimer: no experience with the ones in or near Jacksonville.) That said, they aren't the Four Seasons either...not that the Four Seasons "holds back rooms" for you...

(4) I'm going to guess there was a lot of paraphrasing done in the OP. This clerk may or may not have been a "first-class hotelier", but it sounds like the first part of the conversation was arguing about the checkout date, which the OP was obviously wrong on. After that, I can see how the conversation probably went less-than-ideally...
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:11 pm

The more I read through this thread the more complicated it became to understand. But hey - there is always the beginning of the conversation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.