Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2000, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Arrow [ARCHIVE to 2015] Waldorf Astoria New York {US-NY}

What kind of treatment (if any) can I expect as a Gold member at the Waldorf Astoria (on a nicely discounted rate). Some sort of upgrade? anything? Thanks for your comments.
Old Mar 12, 2000, 2:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I'll be there next weekend (for the Catman-DO-2) and will report afterwards here.
Old Mar 12, 2000, 5:21 pm
Original Member

Was just at the Waldorf last week, for a conference with special conference room rates (which weren't all that low). Upon check-in, the staff member quickly recognized my gold card, and offered me several free drink cards for the bars, and also told me that I would be entitled to 2 bottles of Evian from the mini-bar without charge. I got a nicely upgraded room on the 19th floor on the Lex. Ave. side--very large and very new bathroom with nice fixtures, marble shower stall as well as a sep. bath. Large room with very nice traditional furniture--desk large enough to work on, and separate table with chairs to relax. One of the best amenities is that you can use the very nice fitness club, 19th floor on the Park Ave. side, for free as a gold. Lots of different equip., free beverages there, etc. Costs about $20 per use for the average guest.

The Waldorf must be a good place, since I continue to stay there even after once being caught in one of their elevators for 1 hr. and 45 mins.!! By the way, the Heartbeat restaruant at the W Hotel acrosss the street was quite good, and we sat at the table next to Drew Carey there. Let me know if you have any other specific questions. I stay there 2x a year for 2-4 days, and am quite familiar with the hotel.

[This message has been edited by Djlawman (edited 03-12-2000).]
Old Mar 13, 2000, 8:17 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
i'll be there friday night on a SP3 free night cert. I'll let you know how they treat a gold on a free stay!
Old Mar 18, 2000, 5:42 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
To answer your question, I was upgraded (without having to ask) to a suite for my one night free stay. The suite was beautiful and huge, and I have nothing but good things to say about the Waldorf!
Old Mar 19, 2000, 6:55 pm
Original Member

I stayed at the Waldorf last week for the first time - I was upgraded to a junior suite (I'm diamond) and received 2 drink coupons. She did mention something about evian - I suppose that was the free two bottles from the fridge. They did have a special diamond area check in which I suppose is a nice touch.

I ended up needing to stay an extra night - but the rate would jump about $150 so I checked out and checked into the W. I had stayed at the W Tuscany & Court (STAY AT THE TUSCANY) and even though I knew the rooms at the W were small, I didn't expect them to be MICROSCOPIC. Very cool lounge/bar scene. Ironically, i had a view of the waldorf where I left my suite which was about 6 times the size of my W room (oh, I'm gold with starwood).

so next week i'm back at the W and the two weeks after that I'm at the Waldorf.
Old Mar 20, 2000, 3:23 pm
Original Member

They didn't give me kokonutz suite , probably because they couldn't refill the bar fast enough

But I still got a large room (may be they call this a mini-suite?).

No turn-down service though - in such a hotel I would expect this (and usually Gisela does it for me ... the Pasha ...).
Old Mar 20, 2000, 10:49 pm
Original Member

Wow! Sounds like Gold status is starting to mean something at Hitlon!
Old Mar 20, 2000, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
When I went to change my Sat reservation to the Waldorf, the good rate had disappeared, and in fact the hotel was sold out for a time, and I stayed at the Sheraton Russell for a second night (added on to my Fwee Fwiday). What a disastrous mistake (which is posted on the Starwood page).
Old Jul 16, 2000, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
How is the Waldorf Astoria (apparently it's a Hilton property)

I know the Waldorf Astoria in NYC is legendary in movies, etc, but how is it in real life? I am considering staying there for my trip to NYC for New Year's Eve. It is at a good price, and I think it would be an awesome place to stay. Also it would be a nice place for my first Hilton stay, at least as a Hhonors customer. I am cuurently Marriott Silver, but none of the Marriott NYC properties meet my cost/location criteria for that trip. So what are your opinions?
Old Jul 16, 2000, 2:49 pm

There's a big difference between the Waldorf and the newer Waldorf Towers (a "hotel within a hotel"). The original property is somewhat dated, but still grand. If you stay there watch out for what they call "staff rooms". These are being sold by Hotel Reservations Network (180096hotel.com, among other addresses that get you there) and are tiny rooms that used to only be used to house employees! The Waldorf Towers is lovely, with some suites that are just wonderful.
Old Jul 16, 2000, 2:49 pm
Original Member

every frequent flier and -hotel-guest should at least once in a lifetime stay at this historic hotel - not that anything is absolutely outstanding - but history counts too, and the location is perfect. If the price fits - you will not regret it.

some of us just stayed there this spring at the Catman-Do-II and did appreciate it (again).
Old Jul 16, 2000, 11:55 pm

I do not really like the Waldorf. I just feels too darn snooty to me! Vacationing with my wife and son there I got tired of being stared at. We were dressed casually and I often carry a backpack in the city for convnience of carrying packages we purchased etc. I't a nice hotel, although the junior suite we have would not have been considered even a decent room at most hotels outside NYC. They quoted me a rate that included free parking, then when I checked in they refused to honor it, even after I spoke to the manager on duty. The mini bar prices were so ridiculous that I went out to a store and replaced everything we'd used! I really like amuch cheaper little place called the Hotel Metro that caters mainly to Europeans, but alas I am too hooked on points....
Old Jul 17, 2000, 10:42 am

I stayed at the Waldorf a number of years ago, and too agree that one should stay there at least once while in NYC. The hotel is quite grand, with minibar prices to match it.

We were upgraded to a suite, which was quite nice, complete with a marble bath, sitting room, kitchen and walk in closet. The amenities were quite generous, such as regular size bars of soap. While I agree that the hotel can appear to be uncomfortable when staying as a visitor in shorts and t-shirts, it is a grand hotel, as opposed to, say maybe the Marriott Marquis or Crowne Plaza on Broadway - I think one should plan accordingly.

Prices in the hotel were steep, as anticipated, such as softdrinks in the $2.50 range, however, that was not an issue with the refrigerator in the room. A quick trip to the local CVS shop took care of any cold pop requests later in the trip, as well as snacks. Though I realize that not everyone will get upgraded or will have a refrigerator, that is taken care of with a walk down the hall to the ice machine. The Bull & Bear Steak restaurant did require a coat, although I preferred to dine at other restaurants in the city.

All in all, it was a great experience and would recommend it to anyone who has not stayed there.
Old Jul 17, 2000, 10:45 am

I stayed at the Waldorf in April on a Point Stretcher and found it very nice. I wasn't in the Towers, but I wasn't stuck with a staff room either. I'd recommend it.

Decent size (for NY) and marble bathrooms.
Charles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.