Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Incorrect HH base points posted.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Incorrect HH base points posted.

During my last 3 stays at hotels, I have realised that the allocation of base points posted has been incorrect and insufficient. It came to light during my recent stay at a WA property in the Middle East where I was short by 40000 points. My stay last weekend , has again posted less points than I expected.
As base points are incorrect, the bonus , double , diamond 50% all post incorrect too.

I have started using the points calculator found on this forum to have an approximate idea of expected points.

Hilton have corrected the points retrospectively on each occasion with an apology, but I am wondering if anyone else has encountered such issues. My points always post about 48 hours after check out.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I would take a very close look at the eligible charges definition of the Honors terms and conditions. Taxes are not charges eligible for points, even if the tax is included in the quoted room rate.

See, in particular, Accrual of Points #8 and 9.

http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/terms/...rual_of_points

I would also make an allowance (if unfortunate) for exchange rates, different from current market rates, of 2-5%.

http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/terms/...rual_of_points

If you make those adjustments and still find meaningful differences between what you think you should have earned and what has posted then follow up is warranted.

I find very few posting 'errors' to my HHonors account for domestic or international stays - nothing I would assert is systematic.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Special 1
During my last 3 stays at hotels, I have realised that the allocation of base points posted has been incorrect and insufficient. It came to light during my recent stay at a WA property in the Middle East where I was short by 40000 points. My stay last weekend , has again posted less points than I expected.
As base points are incorrect, the bonus , double , diamond 50% all post incorrect too.

I have started using the points calculator found on this forum to have an approximate idea of expected points.

Hilton have corrected the points retrospectively on each occasion with an apology, but I am wondering if anyone else has encountered such issues. My points always post about 48 hours after check out.
Without details, it is hard to determine what the problem might be. I have not seen incorrect base point postings for many years.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:23 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
This is a huge pet peeve of mine.

I had written the previous HHRep, Erin, here on FT, and she was going to 'get back to me'...That was 6 months ago, and a follow-up with her about a month before she departed went completely ignored. She'd otherwise been VERY helpful and nice to me--but this 'thing' I uncovered has gone unanswered.

In China, they add a 'service charge' which is not a tax, it is as much a revenue stream as is the room rate itself. It is a non-taxable charge in the way that a meal, service like the spa or dry cleaning or another point-eligible charge is properly credited.

I figure that over the years and the number of nights in China that I have annually that I've been screwed out of hundreds of thousands of points.

For example, here's a recent stay in China, per my e-mailed receipt:

Total for Stay per Room
Rate: 4,864.00 CNY
Service Charge: 729.60 CNY
Taxes: 0.00 CNY
Total: 5,593.60 CNY

Base points are awarded solely on the 4864. Nothing is given for the 15% 'service charge', which is CLEARLY not a tax...As the 'tax' field is empty, and is always empty.

So, this one stay, Y729 = About $120. So, 1200 base points. With specials, diamond bonus, quarterly promotions and whatnot, let's call it 3,600 total points. This was 3 nights...So about 1,200 points/night I'm not properly earning...On this 'very typical' rate for me in China.

I spend about 30 nights a year in China, so let's say 36,000 points per year...And I've been doing this for 8-9 years in China, mostly as a Diamond, sure, some years were Gold, but still...Let's call it around 300,000 points that I'm out for non-tax money paid to hotels.

Marriott does the same thing...Which doesn't make it right either.

What's to stop a hotel from dropping their room rate in half, and doing a 100% service charge to REALLY get out of awarding points? It's just not right.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

I was returned 12156 base points for my 10 night stay at Waldorf Astoria. The room rate did not include local taxes etc. which I know are excluded. I always pay in local currency. This difference was so huge that got noticed very quickly. As the base rate was incorrect , all the rest of the bonus points were all subsequently incorrect. I was not provided an explanation of why the error occurred , but it was corrected after contacting customer service along with an apology.

Similar situation for a 2 night stay at Hilton , where only 1 nights stay of points posted , as opposed to the 2 nights. Both nights booked on same reservation , via Hilton directly. Again customer service posted the corrected total of points. I worked out that one nights missing from calculator , otherwise it would have just passed me.

I may have just been unlucky on the three occasions , but I am now more vigilant going forward. This error has not been observed before , or if it did , I did not realise.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
This is a huge pet peeve of mine.

I had written the previous HHRep, Erin, here on FT, and she was going to 'get back to me'...That was 6 months ago, and a follow-up with her about a month before she departed went completely ignored. She'd otherwise been VERY helpful and nice to me--but this 'thing' I uncovered has gone unanswered.

In China, they add a 'service charge' which is not a tax, it is as much a revenue stream as is the room rate itself. It is a non-taxable charge in the way that a meal, service like the spa or dry cleaning or another point-eligible charge is properly credited.

I figure that over the years and the number of nights in China that I have annually that I've been screwed out of hundreds of thousands of points.

For example, here's a recent stay in China, per my e-mailed receipt:

Total for Stay per Room
Rate: 4,864.00 CNY
Service Charge: 729.60 CNY
Taxes: 0.00 CNY
Total: 5,593.60 CNY

Base points are awarded solely on the 4864. Nothing is given for the 15% 'service charge', which is CLEARLY not a tax...As the 'tax' field is empty, and is always empty.

So, this one stay, Y729 = About $120. So, 1200 base points. With specials, diamond bonus, quarterly promotions and whatnot, let's call it 3,600 total points. This was 3 nights...So about 1,200 points/night I'm not properly earning...On this 'very typical' rate for me in China.

I spend about 30 nights a year in China, so let's say 36,000 points per year...And I've been doing this for 8-9 years in China, mostly as a Diamond, sure, some years were Gold, but still...Let's call it around 300,000 points that I'm out for non-tax money paid to hotels.

Marriott does the same thing...Which doesn't make it right either.

What's to stop a hotel from dropping their room rate in half, and doing a 100% service charge to REALLY get out of awarding points? It's just not right.
Taxes AND service charges are excluded from base points. Your points were calculated correctly.

SPG also excluded taxes and service charges.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:21 pm

Misleading thread title that should be changed.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL,HH,MR,Hertz
Where can I find the "points calculator"? I tried searching without success. I need to call Hilton about multiple stays where I didn't get any credit for my 2nd room - if I can easily doublecheck the total number of points I'm getting at the same time that would be great!
Old Sep 3, 2015, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Points calculator :

https://www.hiltonhhonors.com/servic...lator_pop.aspx
Old Sep 3, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL,HH,MR,Hertz
Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.