Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Dundee {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Dundee {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Dundee {GBR}

The hotel is still fairly new to the chain, but I would appreciate some thoughts for fairness for an issue today...

Booked "king suite with garden view". Not upgradable, so at check in I asked if there was an alternative amenity in lieu on offer. I don't think there was, didn't push it.

Room. Small 1 room At a push maybe a junior suite. Standing in the corner, I couldn't get room in picture as I was too close up. No water. Welcome amenity card saying welcome.
No bed for son. I rang the hotel, added in the comments on booking and they confirmed it was a two room suite with a lounge area with settee for son. It wasn't, they have 1 room like this and it had been allocated to someone else.

I stated my disappointment that as a Diamond I wasn't given the room booked, that the room allocated was small and that my previous correspondence was ignored. Literally at the end of the bed there was a metre gap, two chair an a small table, then the wall, this was the "lounge area" of the suite.

The Hilton website states "separate lounge area", fridge with snacks, and additional toiletries, which checking with Staff is incorrect and the website needs changing.

Duty manager apologised but wasn't prepared to do anything. Said we could have a z bed if we moved the table and chairs out (this is a suite?). Only when I mentioned I would complain direct to Hilton I got an offer that she would go downstairs and see what could be done.

So, we were moved to a deluxe room (a downgrade). This had a broken sofa bed, and mold around the window, so we moved to another deluxe room (all in taking nearly 2 hours to sort out). This also had a broken sofa bed, but we have made do by using extra quilts under the mattress.

We have been given 2 drinks vouchers each (with no welcome amenity or water in room) and have been offered an upgrade to a suite on our next stay of 3 nights, where I have booked a superior room, so it is a 2 cat upgrade.

Does this seem reasonable? We are in the third room with a broken sofa bed, which is usable but not great, the hotel did know bout occupancy before we arrived, and we were not given the room booked.

Any constructive thoughts appreciated.

Last edited by Skimanant; Aug 2, 2015 at 12:08 pm
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:39 pm

Well, if you can't get satisfactory resolution on-property (and what you've described sure doesn't sound satisfactory to me), take note of the various outcomes and interactions, as well as room types/rates booked and received, and then call the Diamond Desk after checkout and ask for a case to be opened. Guest Assistance will take it from there; in my experience they have been very good.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:42 pm

I've stayed here a few times. It has been a DT now for well over a year.

There was not a lot of refurbishment done before the transfer to DT unlike the Edinburgh one which is the same management company.

What you have described, regardless of status isn't acceptable. They have failed to provide you with the room you have booked and have then shunted you around several rooms with defects.

Personally I would be asking for the bill for tonight to be waived and I'd be advising the DM that you want to speaking with the GM (I think it's Richard Ellison) tonight or you are calling the DD. Some may think that's a bit severe but this is a DM that wasn't prepared to do anything.

The Management Company in case you need to contact them is RedefineBDL
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
I don't want to be unreasonable, but its sort out taken the edge off the stay.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by chrism20
What you have described, regardless of status isn't acceptable. They have failed to provide you with the room you have booked and have then shunted you around several rooms with defects.

Personally I would be asking for the bill for tonight to be waived and I'd be advising the DM that you want to speaking with the GM (I think it's Richard Ellison) tonight or you are calling the DD. Some may think that's a bit severe but this is a DM that wasn't prepared to do anything.
I think that this is very sound advice. Being given a product other than what was purchased is not a trivial fault, and hotels should be held accountable for this sort of behavior. It's not overreacting and if they have to comp a stay well, tough for them. It should be punitive in the regard in that maybe they'll think twice about doing this again in the future.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Well, if you can't get satisfactory resolution on-property (and what you've described sure doesn't sound satisfactory to me), take note of the various outcomes and interactions, as well as room types/rates booked and received, and then call the Diamond Desk after checkout and ask for a case to be opened. Guest Assistance will take it from there; in my experience they have been very good.
Discuss and resolve issues onsite, not after you've left. Ask for the general manager and know what you want to make you whole.

In this case, I would still call the Diamond Desk as you did not receive the room booked.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Discuss and resolve issues onsite, not after you've left.
Agree completely, and the OP has presented a narrative of trying to do just that. He referred to only having talked to a duty manager, but did not give the reasoning - perhaps he had asked for the GM, only to be told that the GM wasn't present on the property during the time frame of the stay.

Additionally, OP states that this hassle has "taken the edge off the stay" which implies to me that this is a leisure stay. And while all we do like to get what we want, I know that at least in my case there comes a time when chasing down staff and complaining during what is theoretically a leisure stay gets too tiring.

All I was basically saying was that it seems like the OP has done his due diligence to a reasonable standard and if no on-property resolution can be reached that he is justified in escalating to the DD (which you still suggest).
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:46 am

Programs: Yes please
I have spoken recently to the staff at this hotel about a forthcoming stay and I formed the clear impression that they are not up-to-speed about Hilton status, especially Diamond. It seems that they have only recently taken up the Hilton franchise and that they have not been taught what Hilton clients' expectations (especially those with status) are. Hilton must bear some of the blame for this.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by SouthOxon
I have spoken recently to the staff at this hotel about a forthcoming stay and I formed the clear impression that they are not up-to-speed about Hilton status, especially Diamond. It seems that they have only recently taken up the Hilton franchise and that they have not been taught what Hilton clients' expectations (especially those with status) are. Hilton must bear some of the blame for this.
This hotel joined the Hilton family in 2013 if they aren't up to speed by now there is a serious problem on the ground. The management company also run several other Hilton properties so training should not be an issue.

I've stayed here approximately five times and never had an issue although all stays were quick one nighters with no special requests etc. it's far from being the best DT in the UK though that is for sure.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the thoughts guys.

The GM was not available yesterday, and may not be today, so I emailed last night. My son ended up sleeping in the middle of us. The sofa bed had two rows of broken links underneath, so it went through in two places. We tried to fix it by putting an extra mattress and a cot base underneath, but he couldn't sleep in it.

I think this was a last let room, I will try to post some pictures, which I have never done before!
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by Skimanant
Thank you for the thoughts guys.

The GM was not available yesterday, and may not be today, so I emailed last night. My son ended up sleeping in the middle of us. The sofa bed had two rows of broken links underneath, so it went through in two places. We tried to fix it by putting an extra mattress and a cot base underneath, but he couldn't sleep in it.

I think this was a last let room, I will try to post some pictures, which I have never done before!
I've got to be honest you have more patience than me.

If you haven't already checked out I'd tell the DM you want the GM on the phone by lunchtime or you are emailing the pictures to BDL management and the DD
Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by chrism20
If you haven't already checked out I'd tell the DM you want the GM on the phone by lunchtime or you are emailing the pictures to BDL management and the DD
Exactly this. Go and say this sentence to them now.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
What's the latest thoughts on this hotel? It's still a very temptingly cheap reward stay within easy reach of the countryside.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hotel is OK. 3/5.

No vouchers for drinks. Told have never been provided.

Wi-Fi terrible and same code for every guest.

I didn't find the restaurant to be very good, the food was sometimes very small in quantity and a bit out of kilter with the prices.The extra breakfast items that are free for Diamond at DT Newcastle are chargeable here. They have a waffle maker.

Rooms are quite good, especially deluxe and the suites in the Mansion. No floor seemingly has a lift.

They get a lot of Diamonds during the week and I don't think they care to offer any special treatment. It's basically a cash business, no loyalty in thinking. Basically I wouldn't rush back but it's definitely a solid 3* property.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 4:46 am

I was here back at the start of November and would agree with most of what hugolover says. No recognition and I even had to ask for a cookie!

I never ate in the restaurant but room service was a bit hit and miss. Portion sizes are definitely on the small side and the quality reasonable but definitely not indicative of the price. Put it is way there is a beefeater five/ten minutes walk up the road that is about 40% cheaper and better.

Breakfast was ok but nothing special and I've had better Hilton breakfasts for sure, I never ordered anything off the specials menu but it took an age to be seated.

The biggest let down for me was the room. I was upgraded to a King deluxe. Nice room, decent size sofa, coffee table etc. Huge bathroom with separate shower. All very nice but the bed was awful. The King was made up of two singles shoved together and a mattress topper thrown over the top which normally isn't that bad, however these two single beds were at different heights so it wasn't too comfortable - think the HGI bed when you adjust one side but not the other and you will know what I mean.

Fine for a one night stay, two at a push. Make sure you have a back facing room though if you are there at the weekend. If there is a function on there is a lot of noise in the car park area late at night with taxis/smokers etc.

The Hampton is due to open in the City Centre in the Summer it will be interesting to see what happens once there is a bit of HH competition for them.

This is owned/managed by the same group as the DT in Edinburgh. I think when it comes to F&B they think Edinburgh prices will work in Dundee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.