Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

2500 Bonus Points for using Digital Key?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 4, 2015, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Sisosig
[Expired] Get 1000 bonus points for trying out Digital Key between November 6 and December 31, 2015. Must have iPhone 4S or later that is running iOS8 or later or Android 4.3 or later (Bluetooth Low Energy enabled phones only), have the ability to connect to the Internet and have the most recent version of the HHonors app downloaded. Once you have loaded your key, an internet connection is not required (discovered by FT-member Keeton). Most new digital key users will need to stop at the front desk upon arrival to activate their digital key. If you have a choice between a smartphone and touchpad, and you use the touchpad to check in, the key will be on that pad, not on your phone.

+: added recently in 2016

Alabama
Hilton Birmingham Perimeter Park

Alaska
Hilton Anchorage

Arizona
Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort, Phoenix
Hilton Phoenix Suites
+Hilton Phoenix Chandler
+Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs REsort
+Hilton Scottsdale Resort & Villas
+Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort

California
+Hilton Sonoma Wine Country
Hilton Sacramento/Arden West
Hilton Stockton
Hilton Concord
Hilton Santa Clara
+Hilton San Jose
Juniper Hotel Curio Collection, Cupertino
Hilton Los Angeles North/Glendale&Executive Meeting Ctr
Hilton Checkers Los Angeles
Hilton Los Angeles Airport
+Hilton Los Angeles/San Gabriel
+Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport
Hilton Palm Springs
Hilton San Diego/Del Mar
Hilton San Diego Gas Lamp Quarter
+Hilton San Diego Mission Valley

Colorado
Hilton Fort Collins

Connecticut
Hilton Hartford

Florida
Hilton Pensacola Beach
Hilton St. Augustine Historic Bayfront
Hilton Tampa Downtown
+Hilton Clearwater Beach
Hilton St. Petersburg Carillon Park
Waldorf Astoria Orlando
+Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek
Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista
Hilton Orlando/Altamonte Springs
Hilton Cocoa Beach Oceanfront
+Hilton Singer Island Oceanfront/Palm Beaches Resort
Hilton Palm Beach Airport
Hilton Boca Raton Suites
+Hilton Naples
Hilton Marco Island Beach Resort and Spa
Hilton Melbourne Rialto Place
+Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina
+Hilton Cabana Miami Beach
Conrad Miami
Hilton Miami Airport
+Hilton Key Largo Resort
Key Largo Grande Hotel, a Hilton Resort
+Casa Marina, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Georgia
Hilton Atlanta Airport
+Hilton Savannah Desoto

Hawaii
+Hilton Waikiki Beach

Illinois
Waldorf Astoria Chicago (coming?)
Hilton Chicago/Indian Lakes Resort
Hilton Chicago/Northbrook
Hilton Rosemont/Chicago O'Hare
Hilton Chicago/Oak Brook Hills Resort & Conference Center
Hilton Chicago/Oak Brook Suites
Hilton Chicago/Rosemont
+Hilton Chicago/Oak Lawn
Hilton Lilse/Naperville (Chicago W)

Indiana
Hilton Fort Wayne at the Grand Wayne Convention Center
Conrad Indianapolis
+Hilton Indianapolis Hotel & Suites

Kentucky
+The Seelbach Hilton Louisville
Hilton Lexington/Downtown
Hilton Lexington Green
Hilton Lexington Suites
+Hilton Cincinnati Airport (KY)

Louisiana
The Roosevelt New Orleans Waldorf Astoria
Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center
Hilton Shreveport

Maryland
Hilton Baltimore
Hilton Baltimore BWI Airport

Massachusetts
Hilton Boston Logon Airport
Hilton Boston/Woburn

Minnesota
+Hilton Minneapolis
Hilton Minneapolis/Bloomington

Missouri
Hilton President Kansas City
Hilton Kansas City Airport
+Hilton St. Louis at the Ballpark
+Hilton St. Louis Airport
+Hilton Branson Convention Center
+Hilton Promenade at Branson Landing

Mississippi
Hilton Jackson

Nebraska
Hilton Omaha

Nevada
Hilton Lake Las Vegas Resort & Spa

New Jersey
Hilton Woodcliff Lake
+Hilton Meadowlands
+Hilton Hasbrouck Heights/Meadowlands
+Hilton Newark Airport
Hilton East Brunswick Hotel & Executive Meeting Center

New York
+Hilton Albany
Hilton Westchester Rye Brook
Hilton Long Island/Huntington

North Carolina
+Hilton North Raleigh/Midtown
+Hilton Charlotte Center City
+Hilton Charlotte Executive Park
Hilton Charlotte University Place
Hilton Wilmington/Riverside

Ohio
+Hilton Akron/Fairlawn
Hilton Columbus at Easton
Hilton Columbus Downtown
+Hilton Columbus/Polaris
+Hilton Cincinnati Airport (KY)

Oregon
Hilton Portland & Executive Tower
Hilton Eugene

Pennsylvania
+Hilton Harrisburg
The Inn at Penn, a Hilton Hotel, Philadelphia
+Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue

South Carolina
+Hilton Greenville
Hilton Myrtle Beach

Tennessee
Hilton Nashville Downtown
Hilton Brentwood/Nashville Suites
+Hilton Knoxville
Hilton Memphis

Texas
Hilton Fort Collins/Southlake (Looks like a folly on the Hilton FAQ)
Hilton DFW Lakes Executive Conference Center
Hilton Arlington
Hilton Dallas/Rockwall Lakefront
Hilton Dallas/Southlake Town Square
Hilton Austin
Hilton Austin Airport
Hilton College Station
Hilton Houston Westchase
Hilton Houston Southwest
Hilton San Antonio Hill Country Hotel & Spa
Hilton Palacio del Rio, San Antonio

Utah
Hilton Salt Lake City Center

Virginia
Hilton McLean Tysons Corner
Hilton Alexandria Old Town
+Hilton Alexandria Mark Center
+Hilton Springfield

Washington
+Hilton Seattle
Hilton Vancouver, Washington

Hotels are listed North to South within each State.
A slightly different list of participating hotels is available here
http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/hhonor...gital-key.html
Print Wikipost

2500 Bonus Points for using Digital Key?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:32 am

Upcoming stay at Hilton Baltimore is pushing this functionality pretty hard. Guess I'll give it a try.

I dare not ask what the impacts of this on the possibility of a Diamond upgrade might be...not any different than regular OLCI (on which the jury is still out) I suppose.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: WN A+/CP, HH Diamond, Enterprise Gold
I tried using this digital room key at the Phoenix squaw Peak resort a couple weeks ago. Went straight to the room and stood there and stood there and stood there. All the phone would say is that I was nowhere near the lock even when the phone was touching the lock.

This resort has very old looking magnetic stripe door cards. I could not figure out how this new technology could possibly work with those. Needless to say I had to go to the front desk to get a normal key. No problems with the normal key but was never able to get the phone app to work. I never received any points for trying and failing.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 4:01 pm

Also, can anyone explain functionally how this works with respect to other elite benefits and features of a property? For example, I am Diamond, however OLCI for a property with Digital Key will not allow me to choose an exec floor room. Will exec lounge access (ability to open the door) somehow be conferred with the digital key?

EDIT: As a further update, was going to try this out last weekend, as I was staying at the aforementioned property that had the functionality. Well, I went through the OLCI (on a PC), picked a room, and then selected the option to use the digital key feature. Then, the website said that it would only work for IOS and an Android version hadn't been developed yet. Well, should have checked this thread, because it was in fact available for Android (I saw another guest using it later on a Samsung). Moral of the story: trust flyertalk over Hilton IT. All's well that ends well, though, as I ended up with a better room by going to the desk than OLCI allowed me to pick anyhow.

Last edited by arlflyer; Oct 13, 2015 at 6:48 am
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: HH D
Very interesting to read your thoughts about upgrades and thanks for trying it out and reporting!

New hotel offering DK: Hilton San Diego/Del Mar.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 1:11 pm

I'm very curious/concerned about the security in this type of thing. Better than a magstripe, but still...
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Bonus now 1000 points, Android supported

I had a recent stay at the MSP/Bloomington Hilton and decided to try the Digital Key feature. Note that the bonus is now only 1,000 points. My phone is an Android.

In my opinion, it is a mixed bag:
Pros: It actually works! I could reliably unlock the doors for both my room and the EL.
Cons: It is s-l-o-w. I timed it from the point of turning my phone on to hearing the "click" of the door unlocking at around 50 seconds. The sequence would be:
- Turn on phone
- Close existing app
- Swipe to find HH app and launch
- Select Digital Key function
- Press icon to unlock door
- Press it again when icon turned green
- Wait for the door lock to click and light up green

I got in the habit of starting the sequence as soon as I got off the elevator. My apologies to anyone I bumped into in the hallways while my head was buried in the phone . Even if the HH app was loaded and the green icon available as you approached the door, it still took 5-7 seconds to unlock.

I learned a couple of details about the technology: The locks use Bluetooth (not NFC) to communicate with your phone. Once you have loaded your key, an internet connection is not required. The front desk guy explained that was necessary to work at locations that used the key for the parking garage.

Basically, it was a novelty but not ready for prime time. If I stay at another property, I will sign up for it as long as they offer the points, but I will politely ask the front desk for a backup key at check in.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by keeton
I learned a couple of details about the technology: The locks use Bluetooth (not NFC) to communicate with your phone. Once you have loaded your key, an internet connection is not required.
Makes sense on hindsight: iPhones 4 - 5 don't even have an NFC chip, unless it's on the SIM card.

For those interested: To the wiki I've added a large number of hotels offering digital key now, list is based on Hilton.com's reservation pages. What I would be interested in: does every hotel on this list offer the 1000 bonus points or is it limited to the hotels mentioned in the digital key faq only? For example: Hilton LAX is not on Hilton's faq-page, but will you still get the bonus points?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, United 1k, Le Club Silver
How long after checking out is the digital key bonus posted?

Is the digital key bonus posted at the same time as the points of the stay?

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by pollyG
Is the digital key bonus posted at the same time as the points of the stay?

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
In the case of my November stay (chronicled a couple of posts up), the points did not post at all! A call to Customer Support about 2 weeks after the stay quickly rectified this.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 7:52 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

1,000 bonus points for using Digital Key posted to my account 3 weeks after my stay at Hilton Kansas City Airport
Old Dec 29, 2015, 11:17 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
I used digital key and it was fairly flawless. I really liked it. I first tested it to get into a locked "side door" right when I arrived at the hotel and it took maybe 5 or so seconds but it let me in. I then proceeded directly to the assigned room (which was upgraded) and got into it after the 5 or so seconds as well.

I had to go down to the front desk to obtain water, breakfast vouchers, etc. but I suppose I could have asked them to bring all of that up to me; I called them and they suggested I come pick it up. I complied. At the front desk they also had some physical keys ready for me too which I took as back up.

All in all I think this is a good feature, it is good to get to skip the front desk. Depending on how a person keeps their key (pocket or wallet) I could see this as being convenient or inconvenient. For me who typically keeps the key card in the wallet I find this convenient.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 5:31 am

About 85 hotels are now offering Digital Key entry, they are listed in the wiki. Some are W=A, Curio or Conrad. It hasn't arrived yet at the ES / HI branch, neither in Canada.

Please report about getting bonus points for your 2016 stays.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA EP, UA Silver
Bonus Point Posting

For my November and early December stays, the points posted about three weeks after the stay posted. These came in as a separate line that says "DIGITAL KEY BONUS OFFER" with no way to identify which stay each line is for.

For mid to late December stays, the "DIGITAL KEY BONUS OFFER" line is posting with the stay itself, so perhaps they have written this "promotion" into the programming now.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond
What I would like to see with the new digital key is this..

Make the "upgrades" more electronic. For example if you qualify for an upgrade and there is a better room available then have that room available to be chosen on digital check in. Or send an email the morning of saying you have a upgrade, go to the app to accept. Since most upgrades are only given when requested at the hotel desk you will often miss out.

The one I really would like to see is have 2 normal key cards waiting for you once you're in the room. It would be great to skip the check in line, but sometimes I want a normal card for say, if my phone dies.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 4:45 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Ha! I *finally* have a stay at a property with Digital Key (DK). Salt Lake Hilton apparently now has this - didn't this summer when I stayed there last. So, I got up to speed on how to used, warmed up my iPhone 6+ giantphone, Bluetooth switched on for when I check in tomorrow.

But is the promo still on? I saw the 2500 point thing has expired but see some folks getting 1000 point bonuses recently. I'll do this for funsies, but if there's no bonus I might just saunter to the front desk and check in all old school.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.