Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

$30 for valet parking - do you tip, too?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, HH Gold

I am going to be staying 6 nights at the Hilton Waikoloa Village where they are now charging $30 a night for valet parking, in addition to the $25 a day resort fee. Is it expected that we will tip the valets on top of the $30 per day rate we are paying?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by tvelinsk
I am going to be staying 6 nights at the Hilton Waikoloa Village where they are now charging $30 a night for valet parking, in addition to the $25 a day resort fee. Is it expected that we will tip the valets on top of the $30 per day rate we are paying?

Thanks in advance!
I always do, sometimes at dropping off, and always when picking up. Depending on the property it could be $2, or possibly $5 on my part. In Hawaii I give $5 at drop off, and the same or more when picking up. Makes a huge difference in the response time over the course of a week. I used to get worked up about this, but I look at an extra $100 as relatively small in what the overall vacation cost me. I try to save on other things during the trip, not anything service related though.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
In the US, it is appropriate to tip the valet regardless of the parking fee.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
In the US, it is appropriate to tip the valet regardless of the parking fee.
+1

(not debating merits of the tip system)
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:13 pm

I give $2 when I pick up. Carry a lot of singles if you're going in and out often .
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Does HWV no longer allow self-park? When we were there 10-ish years ago, we had free self-park if we wanted it...about a mile from our room...

(I'm only *slightly* exaggerating on the mile. It was a solid 15-minute walk.)

I'd tip $2 per valet pickup. I'm a little more generous if it's a complimentary valet...I sometimes fish out a fiver for those.

$330 plus tax just in junk fees certainly would give me pause before booking this hotel again. When we stayed, it was an awesome ALON award stay with no bull.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
When we stayed five years ago HHV parking receipt had on the back that the gratuity was included in the parking fee, no sure how HWV handles it.

We didn't even notice this until we were checking out, but always tip valets regardless of whether parking is free or paid.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Skymiles, Amtrak Guest Rewards
$2-$5 when picking up, depending on speed, courtesy, location, and class of the venue.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Stayed there about 10 months ago.

Self park as much as you can.

We used the valet the first night because we'd been traveling for the better part of 20 hours and were tired.

The valet lot is a roped-off portion of the self-park lot that is down a flight of steps adjacent the main entrance.

Upon check-out, we called 20 minutes in advance to have the car brought up because of the luggage and check-out time is busy. After arriving at the valet stand, it was another 10 minutes before the car arrived. No sense of urgency was evident. No tip was given.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
I just paid $29.00 for valet parking at the Doubletree Baltimore.

I tipped $2.00 to the valet that delivered my car.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unless the tip is expressly included, it's not included. The $30 is going to the property and the valet is dependent on your tip for the bulk of his pay.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
Does HWV no longer allow self-park? When we were there 10-ish years ago, we had free self-park if we wanted it...about a mile from our room...

(I'm only *slightly* exaggerating on the mile. It was a solid 15-minute walk.)

I'd tip $2 per valet pickup. I'm a little more generous if it's a complimentary valet...I sometimes fish out a fiver for those.

$330 plus tax just in junk fees certainly would give me pause before booking this hotel again. When we stayed, it was an awesome ALON award stay with no bull.
Yes, they still have self park. Last August it was $17 a day for self park, they gave you a separate mag strip card for the entrance and exit and just added the fee to your bill.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I like many others only tip at pickup (at least $2). But not at dropoff. What is the consensus for dropoff?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by tvelinsk

Thanks in advance!
I always tip..free valet or paid valet, the guys/gals getting your car are not seeing that parking fee from the hotel that is for sure.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:05 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Add me to the always tip list. I doubt the parkers see any of that $30 and the ones I've encountered work their tails off, often in terrible weather. $2 each time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.