Occupied room - security issue!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Cymro
It wasn't her, it was her giraffe.
^
Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:18 pm

Had it the other way, with another guest being given keys to my room and walking right in. Mentioned to manager and was given points equivalent to a comped 2-night stay.

One would think, though, that there would be some sort of fail-safe in the IT system against this, given that the cards are coded by a computer and all...like a big red "OCCUPIED" box popping up that the front desk agent would have to be either malicious or firably moronic to override...
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Why...? What were you guys doing?
Sleeping. Hopefully your surgical instruments aren't as dirty as your mind
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by CMK10
Sleeping. Hopefully your surgical instruments aren't as dirty as your mind
So you got awakened.... What's so horrible about that? Annoying, sure...
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
They were embarrassed about not having used the dead bolt .
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stranger walks into your room in the dead of night? It was terrifying. We both screamed "what the f-!" and he screamed and ran out, but I was ready to fight the guy.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by CMK10
Stranger walks into your room in the dead of night? It was terrifying. We both screamed "what the f-!" and he screamed and ran out, but I was ready to fight the guy.

Damn.... I'd've paid good money to see that...!
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:33 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Happened to me about 4 years ago at Hilton brighton metropole......checked in given room card......proceeded to room and started getting undressed to go for sauna.....at that point a couple walked in on me saying they had just checked in too......we all went to reception and complained.....I was upgraded to a j.suite......dunno what happened to them.....I had no hhonors status at the time.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 4:54 am

I was given an unoccupied room once. I mean no furniture, TV, nothing does that count?

I am not surprised about some people invoking. It would really depend on how the place had treated me at checkin and how they handled the incident. There was a Hampton I used to stay at near SFO that didn't have good customer service I would have went guarantee on them in a heartbeat.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Twice in my travels I have walked into an occupied room.
(Marriott in La Jolla, CA and a Hampton Inn at SFO.)

I always knock before entering a hotel room, for the first time.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Only once, at a Hampton Inn.

I invoked the 100% guarantee (which I've done maybe three times in 15 years) given the very serious security breach.
Happened to me at a Hilton Garden Inn. The front desk clerk was very, very apologetic about it and gave me a free dinner in the restaurant (including drink and dessert). The next morning, I noticed that my coffeemaker didn't work. They asked if I didn't mind coming down to the lobby to get coffee. When I got there, the front desk agent gave me a $10 Starbucks card for the inconvenience.

Honestly, it was the best recovery ever!! On a points stay, I had a free dinner worth ($30) and a $10 gift card.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 5:31 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
I've had it happen too -- full Hilton in Fort Worth -- we were in the room and a guy opened the door thinking it was his -- he left , 15 minutes later I went down to the desk and said now you can change my keys too...

should have asked for more !

Bob H
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: 1MM UA
Originally Posted by writerguyfl

Originally Posted by cblaisd
...a good manager would comp the room immediately without being asked.
Actually, a good manager would engage the guest in a conversation regarding compensation. For many travelers, a comped room only benefits the employer, not the aggrieved person.
Here's my twist, though it was 10 years ago;

arrive at a Hampton Inn with my daughter about 10 p.m. after a Cubs game in St. Louis and we're given a key that doesn't work. So we go back to the desk and he changes rooms. We go to the second room and go in and there is a very angry customer getting out of the shower. We go back and after a bit of wait, finally get a third room but it only has one bed. We finally get a cot.

We tell the guy at the desk that this wasn't going to ruin our day because the Cubs had won.

We check out in the morning with the manager on duty and he says he heard what happened and invokes the 100% satisfaction guarantee and comps the room. I said I wanted to pay something, because this stay was needed for a lucrative promotion that HHonors was having at the time which had a stay requirement; I forget the details. He said that he would be able to take care of that. It took almost a year and several phone calls, but we eventually got all the points.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer

One would think, though, that there would be some sort of fail-safe in the IT system against this, given that the cards are coded by a computer and all...like a big red "OCCUPIED" box popping up that the front desk agent would have to be either malicious or firably moronic to override...

Depends on the property.

Many hotels won't have a key encoder that is tied into the reservation system. However, those still will give a warning that the room is occupied with a previous made key that is still active. This warning would be for any key made for a room that the guest is departing that day. Clerks could easily ignore this without double checking (just hit enter/ok) and you're good to continue to make a key.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Just happened to me this past Wednesday night at the Hilton Post Oak in Houston. Turned right around and got the hell out of there. I was not happy because in that town you never know who's packin'...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.