Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cape Town - Upper Eastside {ZAF}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cape Town - Upper Eastside {ZAF}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2013, 12:52 am

Programs: UA Gold, FB, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cape Town - Upper Eastside

Stayed in this hotel for a week in July. it is indeed very nice, the only downside is its location - not that it is a bad neighborhood, there is just not much nearby. If you stay there, I suggest you rent a car.
As a diamond, we received an upgrade to a nice suite. Breakfast is excellent. Very friendly staff. I can highly recommend it, especially considering the attractive pricing.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 2:42 am

Programs: LH 1*SEN
Originally Posted by worldiswide
Is there a tour desk?
Yes, there is. It's an external service provider, located inside the hotel building. Everything I booked so far went well. The owner is a Mr. Pieter Eloff. Email: [email protected]. They will book everything you want, from an airport transfer, over a wine tasting, to a safari.

Originally Posted by worldiswide
Please provide pics if possible.
Yes I will. Can anyone tell me how to post pictures here?
Old Nov 9, 2013, 3:56 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Anyone have an email address for say the GM or front office manager at this hotel? I've tried the generic one from Tripadvisor ([email protected]) without a response. Thanks.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by turtlemichael
Anyone have an email address for say the GM or front office manager at this hotel? I've tried the generic one from Tripadvisor ([email protected]) without a response. Thanks.
Of course I do. Mr. Jordaan is the front office supervisor. His e-mail is [email protected]. Another manager is Mr. King, [email protected].
Old Nov 9, 2013, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by flylocal
Of course I do. Mr. Jordaan is the front office supervisor. His e-mail is [email protected]. Another manager is Mr. King, [email protected].
Thanks flylocal, very helpful. I too am interested in how this car parking arrangement works. Take the car out twice each day and it costs ZAR120 ? You didn't happen to have a car when you were there? If not, no matter as I'll also ask that in my email.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 11:01 pm

Thanks flylocal, very helpful. I too am interested in how this car parking arrangement works. Take the car out twice each day and it costs ZAR120 ? You didn't happen to have a car when you were there? If not, no matter as I'll also ask that in my email.
Yes, I had a car. Parking is no problem at all. It costs 40 ZAR per day (24h). There is a nice garage, the elevator goes directly up to the guest room floors. First time you enter the garage, you ask a ticket from the parking attendant. This ticket has to be stamped at the front desk. You keep this ticket throughout the entire stay and show it to the parking attendant every time you leave or re-enter the parking garage. At the end of your stay, the parking fee (40 ZAR for every 24h) is charged to your room. Very convenient!
Old Nov 9, 2013, 11:41 pm

I checked in at this hotel yesterday and I'm stunned. It's just great. Even though it is not located downtown, the location is not bad and you are everywhere in CPT within a 10 minutes cab drive. The rooms are very nice and the staff is friendly and competent. By now, I can recommend his hotel to anyone who looks for a very good affordable hotel with an international standard in CPT. I will come up with a more detailed review later.
I just noticed that I announced a more detailed review 1 month ago.
Well... there is actually not much more to say... It is a very nice, modern, safe and clean full service upscale middle class hotel not far from downtown CPT. There is a nice bar, even with a smoking lounge. The restaurant is nice, but pretty basic. No haute cuisine. But you get an honest burger, a very nice club sandwich, and a few other dishes. They have room service, but only until 10:30PM in the evening.
Over all, the hotel is excellent value for money. Of course, if you do not care about money, there are other hotels in CPT such as the Westin (where I had dinner, very nice) or the Mount Nelson Hotel where I went for lunch (also very nice).
Well... I don't know what else to tell you... if you have questions, I'll answer them
Old Nov 10, 2013, 12:16 am

I just noticed that I announced a more detailed review 1 month ago.
Well... there is actually not much more to say... It is a very nice, modern, safe and clean full service upscale middle class hotel not far from downtown CPT. There is a nice bar, even with a smoking lounge. The restaurant is nice, but pretty basic. No haute cuisine. But you get an honest burger, a very nice club sandwich, and a few other dishes. They have room service, but only until 10:30PM in the evening.
Over all, the hotel is excellent value for money. Of course, if you do not care about money, there are other hotels in CPT such as the Westin (where I had dinner, very nice) or the Mount Nelson Hotel where I went for lunch (also very nice).
Well... I don't know what else to tell you... if you have questions, I'll answer them
A few questions:
Is the neighborhood really sketchy? Any restaurants, bars, anything to walk safely to?
Does the shuttle work well or is it really, practically speaking, car or taxi to get anywhere.
Breakfasts?
What sort of room did you have? I have a loft suite.
Gym?
wifi quality?

Many thanks again.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 12:48 am

A few questions:
Is the neighborhood really sketchy? Any restaurants, bars, anything to walk safely to?
Does the shuttle work well or is it really, practically speaking, car or taxi to get anywhere.
Breakfasts?
What sort of room did you have? I have a loft suite.
Gym?
wifi quality?

Many thanks again.
No problem
Well, the neighborhood is nothing special. It is kind of a suburban, industrial area. There is not much around and I would not advise to go just outside for a walk to a restaurant.
The shuttle bus works pretty well, on schedule, but only every few hours. If you plan to go to the Waterfront or to a restaurant downtown for dinner, you can easily take the free shuttle bus and adjust your restaurant reservation according to the shuttle bus schedule.
But you can always ask for a taxi and it will be there within a few minutes. Taxi fares are not high, only about 100 ZAR for a ride into downtown or to the Waterfront.
For longer distances, you can also order the external service provider who is located inside the hotel building and has a contract with the hotel ([email protected]). I booked my transfers with them, for example from/to the airport and to a wine tasting.
Breakfast is OK. There is a small American breakfast buffet. You can also order the breakfast to the room, which is quite nice.
I also had a loft suite. These are great and very spacious.
The quality of the wifi is all right. It is a little bit annoying that you have to get a voucher for every 500MB. I watch live Internet TV 1-2 hours a day. So I had sometimes to get 2 vouchers for 1 day. Though the Internet vouchers are free for HH Gold members. Without status, they charge for them, but not much.
There seems to be a rather small gym, but I did not use it.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:42 am

Has anybody been here in December? I wonder if it is still that good. A friend of mine will be there in January.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:52 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Has anybody been here in December? I wonder if it is still that good. A friend of mine will be there in January.
Yes, first time, have stayed in the City at the likes of The Westin etc.

This hotel is quite ok for the rate paid, in fact apart from the location it's excellent.
A 100 Rand cab ride can take you to the Waterfront so I don't see it as a problem unless you must be somewhere else.

We have friends in Rondebosch and it's very convenient for there and Newlands.

Breakfast is more than adequate, not up to The Westin but then the rates are /6 or more perhaps.....

Decent bar with good staff.

Small gym with only with a few exercise machines and only a small indoor pool.

Staff are great, more than helpful.

One thing of note if sharing a room though.
Some are completely open plan, toilet and all, no door or anything.
We are sharing with the wife and one of the sons and this was "not suitable" so we had to change to a room that had an enclosed toilet.
Of course this could be a problem if the hotel is 100% full and you can't change.

Remember also, don't get the other "taxi's" at the Waterfront, stick to the likes of Elite Taxis or the other proper radio cabs.
These other guys will charge 150~200 or more for a 100 Rand journey.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
I'm about to book. Thanks for the great info above.

I have a question about breakfast. We are two Golds. Will we have complimentary breakfast, like at the Cape Town Hilton? I've checked the sticky but the DT CPT isn't mentioned yet. (I guess I'll be able to report if the answer's Yes. )

Thanks.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Originally Posted by Roger
I have a question about breakfast. We are two Golds. Will we have complimentary breakfast, like at the Cape Town Hilton?
As Diamond we had comp. breakfast each morning, I did check this with the desk at check-in and they confirmed.

Person on the desk has your room number/name on a list and they tick it off when you go in.
Did have an issue one morning when they said it was only for 2 persons and we were 3 but pointed out we had been ok before and they just ticked it off as ok.

Breakfast is quite ok, there is a chef doing eggs, omelettes and pancakes as well as other various hot & cold options.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Roger
I'm about to book. Thanks for the great info above.

I have a question about breakfast. We are two Golds. Will we have complimentary breakfast, like at the Cape Town Hilton? I've checked the sticky but the DT CPT isn't mentioned yet. (I guess I'll be able to report if the answer's Yes. )

Thanks.
Yes, as a HH Gold, you get breakfast downstairs at the restaurant or by room service, both for free.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Thanks, pmcg and flylocal.

Looking forward to our stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.