Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - Tower of London {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - Tower of London {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:48 am

Programs: BD Silver, HH Gold, BA Silver, CX Gold
I like this Hilton a lot. Usually prices in well for business, reasonable location. There is quite a lot within 15 minute walk of the hotel, in terms of restaurants (Bodeans might be good for family - BBQ food) and tube is close by.

Always been well looked after here + Westminster DT as a Gold.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: HH Diamond, VS Au, BA Mauve
Stayed here on NYE, and had a great time. One of the nicer Hilton chains I've stayed in around London.

Checkout was indeed a little long.

Accessibility shouldn't be an issue for most, even at weekends, as the hotel is just a 10 min walk from Bank station also. But why would you want to get the tube when you have tower bridge and the south bank just minutes away.

We stayed in the Sky Bar for New Years Eve and managed not to spend too much. Can't wait to experience this in the summer, as the outside part of it is extensive.

Great, modern hotel.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:30 am
Suspended

BotB, thanks for the great pics and trip report. If you have stayed at the Hilton Tower Bridge, what do you feel are the pluses and minuses of the properties, relative to each other?
Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:14 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
BotB, thanks for the great pics and trip report. If you have stayed at the Hilton Tower Bridge, what do you feel are the pluses and minuses of the properties, relative to each other?
Sorry, just noticed your question: I'll try to answer this but it is very subjective and everyone will have different considerations...

Hilton Tower Bridge:

Pro:
Exec Lounge
Big Bathrooms, excellent build quality and full size bathtub
Excellent Breakfast in restaurant (as a Gold/Diamond free) with many items to order available as well, specialty coffee (espresso, Cap, latte) available upon request free as well, excellent staff.
good choice of restaurants very nearby

Con:
Costs more points to book reward
Can be a bit noisier if window is open, otherwise fine.

DT Tower of London:

Pro:
Excellent Staff
Excellent value for points or money for London hotel
Very quiet even with window open...can't believe it is in London
Skybar is very nice and has great views
free minibar for Gold/Diamonds (and restocked each day)

Con:
I find it just a bit more of a pain to reach with the underground
No exec lounge
Smaller bathroom and shower only but very clean and modern
Not much around immediate area (for my taste anyway) so always taking tube or crossing bridge to get to where Hilton Tower Bridge is...

Again, both are great really...just smaller points to differentiate...for the same money or points I would always prefer the Hilton Tower Bridge but they are not usually the same price or points so you can save a bit and get a great hotel or splurge and get a great hotel.

Hope this helps answer your question
Old Mar 3, 2013, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rebelyell
Is the Doubletree Tower of London a good choice for a family trip to London? We are going to have to get two rooms (on points), but that's true for every Hilton unless we want to stay at Gatwick!
FYI

Just booked a couple nights at the Doubletree Victoria (right across the street from Victoria Station) and they have family rooms available. Don't know how many are in your family, but it might be worth a look.

40K/night, and points&cash available for some nights.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 1:57 pm

I'll echo the positive reviews here. I'd say this is one of the unsung heroes of the DT brand. I think DT is a very confused brand with no unified messaging or look and feel but that's a subject for another day.

For me location was fine. The front door is a 2 minute walk to Tower Hill tube on the Circle line so you can get just about anywhere. It's 2 stops from Liverpool St station or a brisk walk.

To get there coming from Heathrow I took HEX to Paddington then Circle line. If doing it again I might just take the tube from LHR all the way. It'd be longer but cheaper.

Check in was quick and easy. The lobby is very open and welcoming. I was given a room on the 10th floor with a great view of the Tower as well as Tower Bridge. As others reported as a Diamond got the cookie, free WiFi (although I think everyone does get both) Free mini bar which I have never experienced before, free breakfasts and a free cocktail at any of their outlets. Given the great rate I got as well staying 1 night here seems cheaper than any other London property I have been in.

Food was good in their restaurant both for dinner and the buffet breakfast. Service was great at both meals. Breakfast time was super busy, they were full but service was attentive.

Lounge/sitting area off the lobby was comfortable and relaxing. The free water in the room was close to 4 pounds to buy! A cup of coffee 3.50 Agh!

Sky bar was cool. I was there Sunday so it was overcast and quiet but looks like it could be a great spot.

If you are need to be in that part of town I would recommend it. Spittlefields, Petticoat Lane and a number of good restaurants quite close. If there for tourist things then obviously the Tower's right there. There's also one of those bike rental stations nearby so you can pick up a bike and drop off at a differnt location.

All in all thumbs up!
Old Mar 25, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: American, JetBlue, Hilton, Dollar
Thanks for this review and photos! I will be staying for 7 nights next month, and have been doubting my choice a bit (would have preferred the Tower Bridge, but cost was much higher). One question for those who have stayed here: is the e-standby upgrade worth it? For £25/night, they have a deluxe room available (queen or king), or an executive room for £30/night. I am a silver member, so don't expect any complimentary upgrades. The executive room includes hot breakfast daily, so if I choose the upgrade, I will likely go for the executive room. Does anyone have any experience using these upgrades? How likely is it to actually get the upgrade, and would it be worth it for this hotel? Thanks in advance for any insights!

Last edited by lirwin13; Mar 25, 2013 at 3:20 pm
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:47 am

sdix, were you just there? I checked out yesterday after an 8 night stay and was also in the Skylounge on Sunday and stayed on the 10th floor. I stuck around the hotel for most of the day to get some work done since it was so cold and windy. Definitely the coldest weather I've experienced in London but I've always been lucky.

Hotel was super easy to get to. I normally stay at the DT in Westminster or an independent hotel in Kensington but this was by far the easiest to access via the tube. Two minutes from the Circle and District line and just a few stops from Westminster, Monument, Embankment and Victoria which gives you access to pretty much every other line. During the week, there is a lot in the area. I walked to M&S yesterday to grab some stuff before heading to Paris and there was plenty open. It's somewhat quiet during the weekend but at least I was able to sleep. Slept like a log the entire time.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by MissJ
sdix, were you just there? I checked out yesterday after an 8 night stay and was also in the Skylounge on Sunday and stayed on the 10th floor. I stuck around the hotel for most of the day to get some work done since it was so cold and windy. Definitely the coldest weather I've experienced in London but I've always been lucky.

Hotel was super easy to get to. I normally stay at the DT in Westminster or an independent hotel in Kensington but this was by far the easiest to access via the tube. Two minutes from the Circle and District line and just a few stops from Westminster, Monument, Embankment and Victoria which gives you access to pretty much every other line. During the week, there is a lot in the area. I walked to M&S yesterday to grab some stuff before heading to Paris and there was plenty open. It's somewhat quiet during the weekend but at least I was able to sleep. Slept like a log the entire time.
MissJ - yes I was there Sunday night. Weather is unseasonably cold and wet but it is England after all I grew up in London but now live in California so I always enjoy the trip back.
Old May 2, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I have stayed at this and other former Mint properties now re-branded as Doubletree (Birmingham, Leeds and Manchester) at least 10 times over the past year. Whilst I like the fresh feel and functional rooms of these hotels, DT Tower of London is a joke in how it has been treating me as Diamond. Twice over the last 10 days I've been told no upgrade was available. On the second stay this week my Silver colleague checked in 20 minutes after me and was sold a £30 upgrade to an Executive room.

It's the only London property I've not feel valued as Diamond so striking this one off my list.
Old May 2, 2013, 6:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by 98h524
DT Tower of London is a joke in how it has been treating me as Diamond. Twice over the last 10 days I've been told no upgrade was available. On the second stay this week my Silver colleague checked in 20 minutes after me and was sold a £30 upgrade to an Executive room.
Similar experiences as me then on the past couple of stays. No upgrade available says the front desk, then when pushed it turns to 'we've allocated you a room so we can't change it' and then finally an upgrade offered begrudgingly to an Exec room. Other London HHonors properties are not so stingy with upgrades, but it is the lies and half-baked stories that wind me up here.

Added along with some other service issues, this hotel has gone from a favourite of mine to one I try to avoid now.
Old May 2, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: American, JetBlue, Hilton, Dollar
I enjoyed my (mid-April) stay at the Doubletree, and the staff overall were very accommodating. I would echo the other comments, though, that the hotel does not do as much to recognize HHonors members as many other Hiltons do. I did the e-standby upgrade to an executive room (an extra £5 per night), and there was quite a bit of confusion at check-in with regard to whether breakfast was included or not. The breakfast (which they reluctantly agreed was included) was good, but I wouldn't spend £20+ for it if it hadn't been included. Complimentary wifi and mini bar were a bonus!
Old May 6, 2013, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL GM; SPG- Gold; HH-Diamond; IHG-Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.1.2; SPH-L710 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/537.31 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/26.0.1410.58 Mobile Safari/537.31)

Stayed here about 2-1/2 weeks ago for a one night stay. Booked two rooms on points as a diamond. Neither was upgraded. Standard rooms on 6th floor. Did receive a voucher for each room good for one free drink at the bar. Used at skybar and was good for a premium pour (Woodford on rocks). Bottle of cheap wine and two bottles of water delivered to each room as well. Breakfast in the restaurant was buffet, but pretty decent given it was free. Rooms were small but functional. Imac in room was pretty cool, but was a crappy tv.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 4:14 am

Exec lounge now open on the ground floor. Which unfortunately means no more free drink vouchers to use in the Skybar.

Lounge seems quite nice and has not been overly busy when I have been past but suspect it could get crowded as it is not that big.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 8:01 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Noticed the same. Meaningful opening hours with nibbles and drinks from 5PM to 7PM are quite restricted. I usually arrive at the hotel around 7PM from meetings, thus this "perk" is definitely one of the "enhancements" in this hotel. And open only from Sun to Thu evenings. Fri and Sat 2 drink vouchers per guest are handed out to be used in the SkyLounge or downstairs lounge.

Apart from the minibar remaining empty, no diamond upgrade today "since we are completely full" already at 12AM when I was checking in. But a regular room from the sixth floor facing a construction work across the Pepy“s street. The service attitude at the front desk was not what it has used to be.

In the welcome letter, following diamond perks were listed:
1. complimentary access to our brand new executive lounge
2. complimentary full English breakfast in our City Cafe (or continental in the exec. lounge)
3. 1000 bonus Hhonors points
4. complimentary newspaper
5. late checkout (subject to availability)
6. complimentary upgrade (subject to availability).

Floor 8 is supposed to contain deluxe rooms "with exciting package and amenities". Executive rooms located on 9th and 10th floors should offer "stunning views over the City of London". No mention about atrium or corner suites...

Will see how things go next time in July... If the same way as today, my reservations from July on will be moved to Hilton Tower Bridge and Hilton Canary Wharf.

Exec. lounge is located at first floor near the lifts and seats up to 30 people. Basic red and white wine, beer, soft drinks, fruit and three sorts of mini canapes, not to substitute the dinner with. No congestion at 6PM, occasional visitors only.

Last edited by TTL; Jun 24, 2013 at 10:42 am Reason: Lounge information added

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.