Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Tropicana Las Vegas - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel {US-NV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 13, 2019, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: craigthemif
Gold and Diamond members receive a $13 per person room charge credit. Solo travellers asking nicely can receive a $26 credit by having the room listed as double occupancy. (or just book for two)

Credit can be used at most on-property venues except Chill'm. Gratuities cannot be applied against this credit. You are not obliged to apply this credit against breakfast.

Breakfast buffet costs $26. A take-away breakfast is available at the food court for $13.

Resorts fees are NOT added to award stays using all points.
Print Wikipost

Tropicana Las Vegas - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel {US-NV}

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 10:10 am

I'd opt for the Paradise tower, as it's closer to the bridge over LV Blvd to the Excalibur. The walk from the Club tower to the front exit isn't that bad--I'd guess 4-5 minutes--but it could get to be a pain to do so for 10 days. It's an easy walk from Excalibur to Mandalay Bay--all indoors, with shops and restaurants in the hotels and in between the hotels.

If you have Hyatt status, Excalibur, Luxor, and Mandalay Bay (and the Delano) will give you MLife status. I would rate Luxor as closest in cost to the Trop, with Excalibur cheaper and Mandalay Bay/Delano more expensive. The Trop is small, by Vegas standards, which may or not appeal to you. The Trop is a Hilton property, so Hhonors status could tip the decision that way.

Last edited by paradox; May 4, 2016 at 10:17 am Reason: Added Club tower info.
Old May 4, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Thanks. Don't have Hyatt status, but have HH Diamond, so was leaning towards the Tropicana. Else, would be staying at the MGM as the conference rate is within my company's budget. (Luxor as well, but was not impressed with the pictures I saw on tripadvisor)
Old May 4, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by GateGuardian
Thanks. Don't have Hyatt status, but have HH Diamond, so was leaning towards the Tropicana. Else, would be staying at the MGM as the conference rate is within my company's budget. (Luxor as well, but was not impressed with the pictures I saw on tripadvisor)
I don't know if they're still doing it, but Hyatt was status matching HH Diamonds to Hyatt Platinum , which gets you MLIFE Gold.
I'm HH Diamond and I jumped through the matching hoops before my last trip just in case I decided to stay at one of the MGM properties.

As MLIFE Gold, you get discounts in the shops at the MGM hotels. I bought alot of Luxor and Criss Angel t-shirts for people back home, and the 10% discount helped.
Old May 4, 2016, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Mlife gold also allows use of a special checkin/checkout line, as well as use of a special line at the buffet.
Old May 4, 2016, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by skydve1
I don't know if they're still doing it, but Hyatt was status matching HH Diamonds to Hyatt Platinum , which gets you MLIFE Gold.
I'm HH Diamond and I jumped through the matching hoops before my last trip just in case I decided to stay at one of the MGM properties.

As MLIFE Gold, you get discounts in the shops at the MGM hotels. I bought alot of Luxor and Criss Angel t-shirts for people back home, and the 10% discount helped.
A couple months ago I was able to get Hyatt to give diamond status matching my Hilton status but not sure if they are doing that any more. That got me Platinum status with MGM.

I know you can also get Plat status at Hyatt through their credit card. You don't get the benefits like free breakfast but you do get free wifi, a 2 p.m. checkout GUARANTEED as well as two free weekend nights on sign up (may be any 2 nights) and one free night on your anniversary every year after.
Old May 5, 2016, 8:27 pm

Programs: Hilton, American, Club Carlson, United, Marriott, Starwood
I've stayed at Luxor in the Pyramid. It isn't bad. The diagonal elevators up the pyramid corners are a bit of an experience, and figuring out the best way to get to any given room takes getting used to. I can't comment on tower rooms. But the walk to Mandalay Bay is pretty decent.
Old May 6, 2016, 9:11 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
Originally Posted by WoodyWindy
I've stayed at Luxor in the Pyramid. It isn't bad. The diagonal elevators up the pyramid corners are a bit of an experience, and figuring out the best way to get to any given room takes getting used to. I can't comment on tower rooms. But the walk to Mandalay Bay is pretty decent.
The convention rate for Luxor only offers Pyramid Deluxe, was hoping they have something a bit better.

Have anyone stayed at a bungalow at Tropicana? Any good compared to a paradise tower room since they're the same price?
Old May 7, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
The convention rate for Luxor only offers Pyramid Deluxe, was hoping they have something a bit better.

Have anyone stayed at a bungalow at Tropicana? Any good compared to a paradise tower room since they're the same price?
I stayed in a Bungalow 2 years ago. I liked having a patio that overlooked the strip. I enjoy sitting outside and working in the evenings in the fresh air.
As a non-smoker, the only negative was that people would smoke in the parking lot under the bungalow rooms.
Old May 10, 2016, 1:44 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
The bungalow rooms are the original hotel rooms built 50+ years ago and they smell like mold. It is a 3 story "motel". You can change carpet, bathroom, etc., but it is still 50+ years old. The former owners slapped some lipstick on the entire place (pig). Unless you have a great deal or COMP, avoid. I hope the new owners turn it around. A start would be getting rid of the bungalow rooms. GOOD LUCK!
Old Jun 21, 2016, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by kettle1
The bungalow rooms are the original hotel rooms built 50+ years ago and they smell like mold. It is a 3 story "motel". You can change carpet, bathroom, etc., but it is still 50+ years old. The former owners slapped some lipstick on the entire place (pig). Unless you have a great deal or COMP, avoid. I hope the new owners turn it around. A start would be getting rid of the bungalow rooms. GOOD LUCK!
Thanks, I switched to a club room instead. They didn't have any rooms left in Paradise tower that was non-smoking.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WoodyWindy
I stayed at the Luxor 3 weeks ago. I was unimpressed. I was first assigned a room in the Pyramid. When I walked into the room, it was oppressively hot. The A/C was running on high, producing a feeble amount of coolish air. You can tell they built that place about 25 years ago and haven't spent a dime on renovations since.

I went back to the front desk and switched to a Tower room. Slightly more modern feel, and slightly better A/C.

It's a shame, because if they did the whole Egyptian theme in a *good* hotel, it could be pretty awesome. But I won't be back to this place again.

The Trop was never on my radar because, frankly, it looks like a dump from the outside. I've long thought they should just implode it, Excalibur, and Luxor and just start over. But I guess if I'm ever at another Mandalay convention and can't get into the Mandalay itself, I'll give the Trop a chance simply because of the HH connection...
Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:16 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
I stayed at the Luxor 3 weeks ago. I was unimpressed. I was first assigned a room in the Pyramid. When I walked into the room, it was oppressively hot. The A/C was running on high, producing a feeble amount of coolish air. You can tell they built that place about 25 years ago and haven't spent a dime on renovations since.

I went back to the front desk and switched to a Tower room. Slightly more modern feel, and slightly better A/C.

It's a shame, because if they did the whole Egyptian theme in a *good* hotel, it could be pretty awesome. But I won't be back to this place again.

The Trop was never on my radar because, frankly, it looks like a dump from the outside. I've long thought they should just implode it, Excalibur, and Luxor and just start over. But I guess if I'm ever at another Mandalay convention and can't get into the Mandalay itself, I'll give the Trop a chance simply because of the HH connection...
I don't know. The Luxor isn't exactly a fantastic hotel BUT it is clean and usually very well priced.

In terms of 'just a room' I think its fine.

Especially for the $50-$75 a night.

I have never been impressed with rooms at the MGM/Mirage, etc

They are just 'rooms' and you pay a lot more
Old Jul 9, 2016, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
The Tropicana announced more about its plans for its new Robert Irvine restaurant complex.

A new multi-story structure of 28,200 square feet will be built in the corner nearer the Strip. Other eateries and bars will be there, including an open air rooftop restaurant, but the Irvine place will be the main focus.

The new place will be built with video production facilities, ando Irvine willl produce video content there.

Completion "in 2017".
Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:27 pm

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Diamond, HHonors Diamond
Another terrible experience at Tropicana. It has been a few. The only reason staying there now is that it was the only Hilton with availability near the strip.
I booked a room in Paradise tower. That was confirmed. I asked for a high floor for a view and no connecting door.
When checking in I got a bungalow room. I said that I had booked a room in Paradise tower, and was told that they didn't have any left! I demanded to have it and showed my reservation. No help. I noticed that I am a Diamond, no help. So I had to take the bungalow room. It was terrible. The view was a white wall right outside my window. I couldn't even see if it was sun of raining. And I got TWO connecting doors, one on each side. The people in one of them were loud until after I wanted to go to bed. And they started at 5am today, a Sunday. I could not sleep.
I also asked for a 1pm checkout. No way!!!!!!!!!
Diamonds are NOT recognized at this hotel.
The only good thing is that the breakfast buffet is back.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 2:31 am
cjd

Had planned to stay at the Elara but the Saturday price was very expensive, so with some trepidation after having read reports here, booked the Tropicana for one night prior to the Elara. Completely different treatment upon check-in compared to runarbg. Arrived at 11.15am on Saturday. Told that we were being upgraded to a Penthouse Jacuzzi suite in the Paradise Tower because we were Diamond members and only staying for one night. Amazing suite over two floors 21 and 22. On floor 21 there was a huge lounge and bar area with jacuzzi tub as well as a downstairs washroom. Four bottles of water provided. A spiral staircase led up to the floor 22 bedroom which had a very comfortable King bed and a balcony over the lounge area. The modern bathroom had a separate very large walk-in shower, double washbasins and toilet and bidet. It was a very nice welcome to the hotel. Also given full buffet breakfast in The Beach Cafe and checkout at 12noon(normal is 11am). Back again next week for one night after visit to Los Angeles, so will see what happens then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.