Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Sukhumvit Bangkok {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2016, 12:15 am

From my point of view you do something wrong, if you use free lounge or breakfast when staying in BKK for leisure reasons. You get much better food for low prices everywhere in BKK. And if you take your kids on a travel like that, show them how to travel the right way. To spend a lot of time and money to travel to BKK and then eat the lounge food, just because it's free or convenient might be popular, but it is still wrong.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:48 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by thbe
From my point of view you do something wrong, if you use free lounge or breakfast when staying in BKK for leisure reasons. You get much better food for low prices everywhere in BKK. And if you take your kids on a travel like that, show them how to travel the right way. To spend a lot of time and money to travel to BKK and then eat the lounge food, just because it's free or convenient might be popular, but it is still wrong.
What a strange post. To whom are your comments directed?

Fortunately you started with "From my point of view" because opinions differ. To start with, I don't have children and secondly I always eat breakfast in my hotel because that is the most convenient.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 2:06 am
IHG 5+ Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold
There's no "right" or "wrong" way when it comes to breakfast. It might be your preference to have breakfast outside for cheap. But, im paying $0 for breakfast at the comfort of the confines of the hotel that I'm staying at.

The Thai red curry with chicken served at Hilton Sukhumvit for breakfast reminds me of good old street food. Just because it's free breakfast doesn't mean its not good tasting or local.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by jedicat666
Yes, that was also the perception I received from this thread. Which was why I booked 2 nights at Conrad & 1 Night at the Hilton.

Hilton vs. Conrad (My Experience, YMMV)

-Hilton Pros-
1. Rooms were much newer, and of better quality, reminded me of the recently renovated IC SIN.
2. Bathroom seemed bigger & more practical (even though Conrad was a king corner exec, hilton's bathroom space was utilized more smartly)
3. Staff was friendlier and bent over backwards trying to make the stay excellent (Checkin at Conrad almost 25mins, as guests cut in the way with no apology & slow processing)
4. Recognition as HHD given upon checkin, asked to checkin at exec lounge. (Conrad did not give HHD recognition nor option to checkin at exec lounge)

-Conrad Pros-
1. Location is slightly better vs. Hilton
2. Lounge food/drink is much better vs. Hilton

-Ties-
1.Breakfast
2.Same Bathtub (hilton exec king vs. conrad exec king corner | hilton exec suite tub is slightly bigger)

I did not consider my favourable upgrade in Hilton as a benefit in the above comparison to avoid bias.

I definitely think that in general Conrads are Superior to Hiltons, but in BKK my overall experience was contrary to the fact
Thanks for sharing this! I have a points + cash room booked at the Hilton right now as HHD, but I'm thinking of booking at GH instead and using a Diamond suite upgrade. The Conrad would be ideal location for me, though, but I don't think I want to use that many points.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by sbams
What a strange post. To whom are your comments directed?

Fortunately you started with "From my point of view" because opinions differ. To start with, I don't have children and secondly I always eat breakfast in my hotel because that is the most convenient.
There was a discussion about the lounge food of that Hilton hotel some postings ago.

Everyone is free to eat in a hotel lounge. And if you travel for business reasons I understand that it's important to save time.

But if you travel for leisure some thousand miles, spend some thousand dollars and use the hotel's lounge in a city like BKK for your meals, you do something really wrong - from my point of view. I really think, the quality of the food in the lounge should not be an important criteria for choosing a hotel in BKK for leisure.

As you say, opinions differ.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:13 am

Programs: EB*D, Hilton Diamond, Carlson Gold Elite, Amex Plat
I have stayed 22 nights in the last two months at this hotel as a HHD. They have generally high occupancy, around 80-93% as a standard according to staff and many times full.

Upgrades: Since I am now a regular at this property they have given me suites one or two days if I can change rooms, and a executive plus for a week. However, I would rather take a executive quiet room over any of the others cause I hate the sound of the elevator. Also, I don´t smoke so that limits my options.
As solo I prefer executive plus, with family a suite since it is basically one more room, or sometimes 1,5 room size.

There is the ultimate upgrade: President Suite 2401 which is huge! A thai soap opera tv rented it one day with full film crew. I have not gotten this suite, nor have I asked.

Lounge staff: They have staff training from other hotels, like Taiwan and Japan. It shows.

Lounge food: I do not spend much time in the lounge besides breakfast, which is ok. If I want food or drinks, I go everywhere else, like 100m down the street:Food court at Emporium 4th floor where a Green curry Chicken will set you back 95THB. Or drinks at any bar starting from 100THB.

For me the room is most important since I do online work as well.

Internet: They have problems, too slow at times. 50Mbit when not anyone is downloading movies or whatever. I have addressed this countless times but it is some IT-department who is scamming money from the property. It is easy to limit people who download torrents and huge files.

But, for around 4000THB(sales) or 12000points+1830THB it is still good value for money. As several have pointed out Grand Hyatt is more professional and constant. And also around 6-7000THB pr night.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 4:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold
Just completed a 2 night stay here. As a diamond only received an upgrade from King Deluxe to King Executive. Asked about an Executive Plus room but it wasn't available until 6pm and only for 1 night.

When checking in breakfast was only offered in lounge however the next morning I asked if we can take breakfast in the restaurant and they said yes that was fine. No sign of it on the bill when I checked out. Breakfast was better in the restaurant, more choice and the coffee machine in the lounge makes terrible coffee.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
That's why I tried to book hotels that doesn't come with lounge access. We booked the DT for a night, then found a lice comb with tons of hair in one of the rooms right after checking in. Then we went to the front desk and they moved us to the Hilton.

We got a Junior suite plus a king room there. The bed was great and amazing. The lounge food was ok. We had breakfast in the restaurant - nothing to write home about. No hiccup with the bills - everything was billed correctly. The staff there were excellent (huge difference compared to the Courtyard - the staff there made you feel as if they are doing a favour to you by letting you staying there).

There's a great noodles stand 30 second walk to the left from the DT entrance. Not far from Hilton there's a great ramen shop recommended by the Japanese lounge staff called Naruto. It's not cheap but it was amazing - the good thing is that it opens until 2am.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 7:26 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Hilton Gold
We had a nice three-day stay here at the end of October. We used Hhonors P&M-rate; 12000points+1830THB, which I find to be a decent redemption of points.

I did the OLCI and as a Gold received a basic +1 one category upgrade from King Deluxe to a King Executive room on the 17th floor.
Nice room which was new comparing to our prior stays at Hilton Millennium and Hua Hin.

We had breakfast at the restaurant.

Lounge offerings were quite extensive (soup, salad, canapes etc.) and a self-serve bar.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by AndyRobin
When checking in breakfast was only offered in lounge however the next morning I asked if we can take breakfast in the restaurant and they said yes that was fine.
The last couple of times I've stayed here the staff has made a point of explaining at check in that diamonds can take breakfast in the lounge or restaurant.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Hilton Gold
The staff didn't advise us regarding whether we can have the breakfast at the lounge or at the restaurant.

we ended up having the brekkie at the restaurant and didn't faced any issues there or at billing phase.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 5:24 am

Arrived early for my last night in Bangkok .
Still received Presidential Suite !
Staff delivered someone else's suitcase - thankfully mine was found .
Bottle of wine delivered but as early start trmw declined .
Offered another gift - three of the mini Jay and Daisy statues delivered!
Lounge very busy in the evening .
Four hot food choices and plenty of cold foods . Cocktails being made in central table - not sure what kind .
Again more staff drafted in to clear tables .
Cracking storm outside several guests yelled at loud crackles of lightning .
Off to try and work out the controls in the suite he he
Old Nov 27, 2016, 7:02 pm

EXCELLENT post (#315) by jedicat666 above, who commented on slow Internet speeds. Has anyone else experienced this or was this perhaps a one-off problem? If the internet is bad, I need to rule this hotel out.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 10:36 pm

Alas didn't check internet speed but was noticeably slower trying to complete the same tasks that I completed previously at the Conrad . Bizarrely appeared faster in the lounge than in my suite !
Welcome Diamond letter stated breakfast could be taken in the restaurant or lounge .
Very speedy at helpful checkout at 6am - suitcase fixed , taxi waiting to whisk me to the airport .
Traffic snarky due to taxi crash near airport thankfully no one appeared injured .
Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: EB*D, Hilton Diamond, Carlson Gold Elite, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bfernand
EXCELLENT post (#315) by jedicat666 above, who commented on slow Internet speeds. Has anyone else experienced this or was this perhaps a one-off problem? If the internet is bad, I need to rule this hotel out.
It is a problem starting in afternoon/night. Daytime is fine since less users. I have addressed this numerous times to the lounge personell, but it seems like the hotel is stuck in some deal with a lousy internet company that do not deliver.

Also, the codes provided for Gold/Diamond does not work, everyone gets the same speed.

I would say that after 40+ nights at this hotel in autumn, the slow speed is a big problem, since Europe-hours usually stretches out in afternoon/night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.