Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Australia {AUS}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Australia {AUS}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
The difference in location is marginal. Don't let that be a factor. They are both average hotels within their chains though both are perfectly adequate.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 9:39 pm

Best advice is not to expect anything. It wasn't a great HI, why would it be a great DT? It is what it is, not a bad location but certainly not even 4 stars. Maybe 3 on a good day. We were there for a wedding a couple of years ago, it served it's purpose.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: AC SE, *A Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Cairns is a very small town. location shouldn't be an issue.

I stayed the holiday inn last time, wasn't good/clean...
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:11 pm

I stayed at the Hilton in Cairns a few years ago and it was a wonderful experience. Nice employees, good breakfast, very clean, ocean view room and centrally located. Not sure how it is now (my stay was Nov 2009) but based on my previous stay alone I would go back there again.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I was also facing this same dilemma - staying 5 nights over New Years so I ended up picking the DT at ~$150/night. The Hilton was ~$210/night (on a BRG) which is why I went with the cheaper hotel. Of course, I'm assuming that the difference between the two hotels doesn't warrant an extra $60 per night...perhaps I'm being optimistic, but I assumed that the DT would be renovated/updated during the conversion from Holiday Inn?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 5:14 pm

I went with the DT and loved it. Good breakfast buffet, good service, good location. Clean. And, I was upgraded to an ocean view room. The only thing was the different services from housekeeping every day. Some days. they left a bottle of water. The one day I wanted it and they didn't leave it, I called. Apparently, I wasn't supposed to get free water. But, they brought one up that day anyway. Didn't replace the pool towels, so I had to call since I needed them for another snorkeling trip the next day (yes, they tell you to use their towels for trips).
Also, the charges all came up on my card as Holiday Inn. So, I'm having to deal with Honors to get my bonus from my Surpass. That's very annoying.
The tour desk was helpful, but the tourist information has more options, I think.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Bumping this thread. Going to Darwin early February. Any recent stays or comparisons. ,like the previous poster, leaning towards Hilton with exec lounge. Also looking for tour options to Kakadu.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Staying 3 nights at Hilton Darwin and it seems like no report yet from FT'ers from there? (Unless worldiswide has one elsewhere?)

Seems like it has a lounge so can't be that bad! Was the Crowne Plaza before.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I have seen a few reports on Australian Frequent Fyer - and likely more experience on that site - maybe ask there.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Staying 3 nights at Hilton Darwin and it seems like no report yet from FT'ers from there? (Unless worldiswide has one elsewhere?)

I had lounge access, but they DID NOT want us to check in early. We arrived around 8am after a redeye, on a Thursday in the low season and even though the hotel was a ghost town, they wanted $$$ to check in early.
Old May 1, 2015, 5:29 am

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by ozstamps

We had two stays in February. First stay got in late and left early morning for the ghan. Was upgraded to a suite,. Location is great, parking is valet in a lot around the block, but you can park there yourself. Lounge is small, satisfactory but not great. Lounge personnel are great and helpful.

Second stay, well eventful. The fire alarm sensor was set too low, and at 8 am on a Sunday, my toast in the lounge set it off for the entire hotel. They had a problem with the water tank one day, and there was no water for Half a day for anything. They were not very forthcoming with info, because we were at the desk at about 5 pm asking for directions and someone called down to say they couldn't take a shower and the front desk seems surprised even though they were well aware. Rooms are ok, everything you need and not much more.

That said, Darwin is a small city easy to get around. We chose the Hilton for the lounge as well, the doubletree is about a block away on the esplanade so maybe better view.

Business or leisure stay? Think that might make a difference. Leisure for us. We were not going to rent a car, but we found taxis to be very expensive for short distances so we rented. You can park overnight for free if you move the car before 8 or 9 in the am.

Specific questions, please post and I will do my best to answer
Old May 1, 2015, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
worldiswide - great info for all, many thanks!

We fly up today for 3 nights for a bit of touring.

We had an OzFest there 2 or 3 years back when it was The Crowne Plaza and most of us stayed there. I do not remember a thing about it to be honest.

We have very full days to Kakadu and Katherine so out 6am and back late so will hardly see lounge sadly, and I am sure leave too early even to score breakfast. Or drinks at night, Oh well.

Maybe I should ask if they will sub in free parking instead of lounge access as Diamond Perk.

Rented a car as only $135 for 3 days via Eurocar, and cab each way to airport is about $30 as I recall!

The $25 a day parking nearly stopped me but the lot around the back I am sure is less? And around there weekend parking on street may be free anyway?

Only booked this weekend at last notice and had no idea there were Hiltons there as none in Ozfest era.

Glen
Old Jun 5, 2015, 12:02 am

Need advice on misplaced bag From a Hilton in Australia

Hi,

Just came from Australia.
I was in a hilton and they lost my bag.
I checked out in the morning and left my bag with the concierge
to return later in the evening with the bag not to be found anywhere!

Does someone in this forum have an idea about my rights and Hilton's liability.

Thanks,
-AB
Old Jun 5, 2015, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Where was the Hilton?

In common law countries they have a duty of care[1]. Small claims court if they contest it, but a formal claim for costs will probably be honoured up front if you have the bag claim ticket but no bag.

1. If it's Oz, NZ, or the UK then it's a "duty of care in bailment", and they can't contract out of it. In the US it would depend on the state how it works in detail. If it was Canadia then I have no idea.

ETA: This is not legal advice. I might be a lawyer, but I am not your lawyer. Consult a lawyer in your location if you want legal advice.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Where did this occur?

In the US it will be state-by-state, but it is likely fruitless to pursue a legal claim because most states do permit the property to contract out of liability.

But, conversely, the property may take care of a reasonable claim and most travel insurance will cover.

A lot will depend on what's involved, e.g. $500 or $5K?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.