Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

AA will end transfer of AA miles to HH points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA will end transfer of AA miles to HH points

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2011, 8:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We share a Mutual Fund Account, so it was from two AA accounts to one Hilton HHonors account - worked just as it should. The person who made two maximum transfers in a fairly short period of time did so from the same AA account to their HH account, and it worked; I have no knowledge of whether it was a mistake or it is a normal occurrence, nor if it an be counted on to be replicable.

Originally Posted by mrpickles
Was that 90k twice from the same account or from two different accounts? I did the 90k on Sunday and want to transfer an additional amount, but with the 150k limit I don't know if I should just sent the 90k again and hope for the best.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 8:18 am

Programs: Hilton Gold; AA Platinum;Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
AA to HH

Just transferred 36K AA miles to 60HH points. Not sure whether or not I am going to need by end of the year, but figured better to run the exchange before it closes.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 9:06 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by brasov02
You might want to check individual hotels you're interested in and compare rates between AA miles or HH points before you make a panic transfer. I just checked the Cat 6 Hilton Athenee Palace in Bucharest which goes for 125,000 HH points via a 4-night AXON award, one of the best deals available for HH points. But the same 4 nights would only be 57,000 miles (about 14,000 miles/night) booking via AA miles. If my ninth-grade math skills serve me correctly, you would be saving around 20,000 AA miles versus transfering the 75,000 miles needed to get the HH points for that same HH AXON award.
I think this is more an exception to the rule (definitely doesn't come close to working in Paris for the ADT for example) but if you have a particular hotel or hotels in mind it might be worth the time to make a quick comparison before any rash transfers. I'm glad I did.
Yes, I agree. Although losing options isnt a good thing long term these AA hotel rates can be a better deal sometimes. I booked the Vienna Hilton for 32,000 miles total for two nites earlier this year and the rate included breakfast. That hotel is a Cat6. Those are the exception on not the rule however but there are some deals out there at least.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
You might want to check individual hotels you're interested in and compare rates between AA miles or HH points before you make a panic transfer. I just checked the Cat 6 Hilton Athenee Palace in Bucharest which goes for 125,000 HH points via a 4-night AXON award, one of the best deals available for HH points. But the same 4 nights would only be 57,000 miles (about 14,000 miles/night) booking via AA miles. If my ninth-grade math skills serve me correctly, you would be saving around 20,000 AA miles versus transfering the 75,000 miles needed to get the HH points for that same HH AXON award.
I think this is more an exception to the rule (definitely doesn't come close to working in Paris for the ADT for example) but if you have a particular hotel or hotels in mind it might be worth the time to make a quick comparison before any rash transfers. I'm glad I did.
Good point.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the straight AA redemption you're locked in once you make the booking. That is, IIRC you can't cancel and get your miles back.

Also, somewhat OT, but does anyone know if Hilton honors your status (in terms of complementary breakfasts, potential upgrades, etc.) if you do the straight AA redemption?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 6:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Interesting about the Hilton in Bucharest - the last time I stayed there it was on a Point Stretcher, so check the cost in various "currencies" and award structures before booking.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 7:13 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Good point.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the straight AA redemption you're locked in once you make the booking. That is, IIRC you can't cancel and get your miles back.

Also, somewhat OT, but does anyone know if Hilton honors your status (in terms of complementary breakfasts, potential upgrades, etc.) if you do the straight AA redemption?
The fee is different depending on if you use AA Vacations to pay with miles or if you use the book Hotel/Car award within the AAdvantage area of AA. AA Vacations has a pretty hefty fee to change and I "believe" they have close in fees also which the Car and Hotel award options does not have. I think the fee to change is something like $25 but only if the hotel allows the change. I dont think you can refund the miles but I could be wrong on that one.

I am Gold with Hilton and had no problem getting upgraded on my booking an exec floor.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 4:03 pm

Thank you, that's a good tip. For the hotel I checked (Hilton Bora Bora), the AA rate was outrageous for some reason. 6 nights VIP rate directly with HH poiints = 225k points. Six nights via AA miles = 500k+miles Maybe I did something wrong...

Anyways, my SPG points came through in time, and converted to 150k HH points today through AA. I'm back on track for my 2012 Tahiti plan ^
Old Aug 19, 2011, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by JDiver
Interesting about the Hilton in Bucharest - the last time I stayed there it was on a Point Stretcher, so check the cost in various "currencies" and award structures before booking.
When I stayed there couple of weeks ago the all in price in real USD was $117 including all the taxes.

Sure there might be some instances when buying the Hilton night using the AA hotel mall would be cheaper than using HH points transferred from AA. I would argue that in all those cases the nightly rate is so low that it only makes sense to pay in $$$'s.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cupps
Just transferred 36K AA miles to 60HH points. Not sure whether or not I am going to need by end of the year, but figured better to run the exchange before it closes.
I just transferred 90K AA miles to 150HH points. I am sure I am not going to need them by the end of the year, I'm not even likely to need any of them next year (since I already had 200k), but if this is about to go away, I might need them before I could earn an additional 150k other ways.

Meanwhile, most of my paid flying is on AA (or its partners), so replenishing 90K AA miles won't be that hard from that. And getting 75k miles multiple times from Citi may still be easier than getting 40k HH points multiple times from Citi, and is certianly way eiasier than getting 60k HH points multiple times from Amex.

Finally after the transfer I'm left with 1.2ish million AA miles. Which will likely take me much longer to use up than the 350k total HH points I now have...
Old Aug 20, 2011, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by holtju2
When I stayed there couple of weeks ago the all in price in real USD was $117 including all the taxes.

Sure there might be some instances when buying the Hilton night using the AA hotel mall would be cheaper than using HH points transferred from AA. I would argue that in all those cases the nightly rate is so low that it only makes sense to pay in $$$'s.
I had a one-night stay at the New York Hilton in June. Thursday night, nightly rate was $320, AA miles was 22,000, HHonors points was 50,000. I used AA miles. Best to check all three.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 1:28 pm

Booking Hilton properties via AA

I just checked one of my favourite properties for using HH points, the Los Cabos Hilton and during peak christmas week its a whopping ~75K AA miles per night . HH is 50K . I was wondering if booking through AA is really just using 1 AA mile at ~ 1.25 cents per mile ?
Old Sep 18, 2011, 8:03 pm

Still working as of 9/17/11

Transferred 90,000 AA miles to HHonors yesterday. Perhaps this thread should be renamed (i.e. ENDING SOON, not NO MORE)?
Old Sep 18, 2011, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by MarkMColo
Transferred 90,000 AA miles to HHonors yesterday. Perhaps this thread should be renamed (i.e. ENDING SOON, not NO MORE)?
Wow! Good to know...I thought this option was now eliminated.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 11:53 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
Can you let us know if you transfered them from AA.com or from points.com and how many HH points you received?

I think the thread was that the AA.com option with 2 HH for each 1 AA ended and that points.com at a lower ratio was still available.

Originally Posted by MarkMColo
Old Sep 19, 2011, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965
Can you let us know if you transfered them from AA.com or from points.com and how many HH points you received?
The transfer is at a rate of 6,000 AA miles gets 10,000 HH points, in increments of 6,000. Used the url redeemaamiles.points.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.