Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2006, 2:46 am
cjd

Originally Posted by jkzahn
This place is a mixed bag. Stayed on a reward stay as a gold. Was "upgraded" to a suite facing the back of the hotel and the dumpster. Room had no air conditioning but we couldn't open the windows because of the loud nightclub outside our room. I had to break out the rotating fan from the closet at a 5-star Hilton!! They did not offer me breakfast, but when I went to ask, they did say I was entitled to full buffett, which is very extravagant and nice.
Looks like it still hasn't improved much. Last time I was there, on a hot summer evening, we couldn't open the sash type windows as they were dirty and painted up. Had to get 2 portable fans for the "upgraded" room and it was still like sleeping in a sauna.
Old Sep 9, 2006, 9:38 am

Caledonian Stay

I have never stayed at the Caldedonian, but just returned from 3 day stay at the Edinburgh Grosvenor Square and could not have been treated nicer. As a Gold we were upgraded to a jr. suite, had a bottle of wine, cookies, apples and bottled water delivered to the room and given continental breakfast every morning. During our stay we were awaken by the fire alarm at midnight. We received a nice letter from the GM apologizing and and a letter when we arrived home again apologizing.I think I will pass on the Caldedonian and give my business to the Grosvenor.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 2:10 am

Programs: MARR Plat, RCC, UA1K MM Nat EX Elite HH DIA 2 Bks B/Chip Stamps
Well as a new Diamond haven't stayed here but it seems its hit or miss with any elite recognition.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 4:09 am

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
Originally Posted by Dudrop
I have never stayed at the Caldedonian, but just returned from 3 day stay at the Edinburgh Grosvenor Square and could not have been treated nicer. As a Gold we were upgraded to a jr. suite, had a bottle of wine, cookies, apples and bottled water delivered to the room and given continental breakfast every morning. During our stay we were awaken by the fire alarm at midnight. We received a nice letter from the GM apologizing and and a letter when we arrived home again apologizing.I think I will pass on the Caldedonian and give my business to the Grosvenor.
After three poor to bad experiences with the Caledonian, I always stay at the Grosvenor, although I think it is ceasing to be a Hilton at some point.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 1:50 pm

Programs: HH diamond
I had an award stay there last summer. As a gold, I was treated quite well. Upgraded to a room overlooking the castle, small bottle of wine with fruit and chocolates waiting in the room. Didn't get breakfast as I had to leave by 6AM. It seemed like a really nice hotel esp with all the renovations they were doing.
Sad to hear they are not consistent with their treatment.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 12:54 pm

Great Time at the Calley

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but had to share my experiences.

Stayed here recently on an award stay. Arrived at 10:00 a.m., room ready by 10:30. As a gold, given an upgraded deluxe room, overlooking the courtyard, on the 4th floor. While no castle view, it was quiet - couldn't hear the drunk, rowdy crowds that are typical on Lothian Road during the weekends, according to staff. Small bottle of wine, 4 apples and water. Complimentary full buffet breakfast buffet - a list is maintained in the restaurant of those entitled to the free spread. AC/Heater system was state of the art with digital temp and fan adjustment. Heated towel rack, 2 phones, wired pay internet access from room.

Attitude and service from staff - front desk, restaurant personnel, housekeeping and bell desk was inpeccable. Only downside was the water pressure in the shower - a bit weak.

Airlink bus stops are 5 minutes from the hotel on Princes Street. Somerfield (sp?) supermarket is behind Airlink bus stop - good for cold drinks, snacks, etc. The City Sightseeing Tour bus stop is on Lothian Road, across the street from the hotel. Waverley Stn is a brisk 10-15 minute walk along Princes Street. For jogging, Princes Garden which is situated across the street from the Calley, between Princes Street and the Castle, is wonderful. The Old City is hilly - be prepared. A visit to Stirling Castle from Waverley is a must - 6.80GBP for the cheap day return.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by Martinis at 8
They hardly even show respect to the Royals over there, so why would one even think that Diamond status means anything?

M8
Agree that Diamond status should be respected, but if you lived in this Country and saw the way some of these Royals behave, you also would show them little respect
Old Dec 12, 2006, 5:56 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, BA Blue
Edinburgh Caley. A Suite or not!!!

Hi folks.

Just wondered what you think is the definition of a suite?

I booked a "Single Caledonian Suite" for last Saturday night. On check in i was told i had booked a "room in a Suite" and it was just a bedroom and no added lounge area!!

It seems they are selling the Presidential or "Caledonian Suite" seperately if no one has booked it as a oner. The Presidential consists of a seperate corridor with 2 rooms going off at either side. These rooms are sold as Suites even though they are only standard rooms. Needless to say i was pretty pissed off at check in.

So what is the definition of a suite? I know my expectation was a bedroom with a separate lounge not a room that just happened to be able to be sold along with others as a presidential suite!!!

And what compensation should i expect for my disappointment?

I know the Front desk staff were taking it up with IT so that it's more clear on the website!

cheers

alan
Old Dec 12, 2006, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Wudy15
Ah, yet another expectation of compensation for a traveler who hasn't done the barest of research. If the hotel did, in fact, put you in the room you booked, why would you expect compensation? The definition of "suite" varies widely as most travelers know, and the fact that you didn't research the property before you booked isn't the hotel's fault.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 2:38 am
cjd

Hi folks.

Just wondered what you think is the definition of a suite?

I booked a "Single Caledonian Suite" for last Saturday night. On check in i was told i had booked a "room in a Suite" and it was just a bedroom and no added lounge area!!

alan
Alan,

You seem to have been given half a suite, so I would expect half the suite rate refunded. I was refunded half the room rate at the Caledonian when there was no hot water in the room. I expect a suite to be much larger than a standard room with either a separate living room or be called a junior suite where the bedroom and lounge area are all combined. From what you say, they shouldn't have used the word "suite" in the room rate.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 3:43 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, BA Blue
Thanks for the feedback.

The fact that i did not "research" the hotel is irrelevant. The room was wrongly described and even the check in staff acknowledged this. In fact i stay at the hotel pretty regular and i am in for meals at least once every 2 weeks!!
This was the first time i had came across this particular room description in all my bookings. I have stayed in most of the different levels from base rooms, Deluxe ,Junior Suites and even a suite bigger than my house!!!

The word Compensation was maybe a bit harsh but in view of all my previous trade at the hotel even the manager making contact with me and apologising would have been welcomed.

cheers

alan
Old Dec 13, 2006, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I recently booked a stay at the Caledonian, when I entered a promotional code into the booking page it gave me a few booking options I hadn't seen previously. One of them sounded like what you have described, I think it said 'Single Caledonian Suite' and was the same rate as the other standard rooms. Clicking on the rate the pop-up said it was only valid when booking all the other rooms together. I was tempted to go with it on a flexible rate and see what happened but decided against it.
Old Dec 13, 2006, 12:41 pm

Advice

Thanks for the feedback.

The fact that i did not "research" the hotel is irrelevant. The room was wrongly described and even the check in staff acknowledged this. In fact i stay at the hotel pretty regular and i am in for meals at least once every 2 weeks!!
This was the first time i had came across this particular room description in all my bookings. I have stayed in most of the different levels from base rooms, Deluxe ,Junior Suites and even a suite bigger than my house!!!

The word Compensation was maybe a bit harsh but in view of all my previous trade at the hotel even the manager making contact with me and apologising would have been welcomed.

cheers

alan
Alan, am staying there next week on a paid stay. As a diamond what can I expect from an upgrade point of view I know there is no Exec lounge and breakfast is included anyway in the tarriff. Could you advise on any requests from the Hhonours status ie Castle view ect?

Cheers
Old Dec 13, 2006, 3:02 pm

If you get breakfast included this is one place where the lack of a lounge is probably a plus. The breakfast when I was there was awesome, caviar, salmon, even champagne for bucks fizz.
Definately make a point of asking for a decent room, as a gold I got a crappy attic room, tiny, no tv reception, hot as hell and noisy with a great view of the *rse end of the building. Not impressed for 160 pounds.
Really enjoyed Edinburgh though, one of my fave places.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K+MM, HH DIA, Marriott G, Hertz 5*
Yeah, the Cally is a spotty property (esp for the price). If you get a castle view, chances are you're also right over a major bus stop where people come and yell and sing after closing time. Not good if you're jetlagged and really need the sleep.

The good there is great (breakfast, high tea, etc), the bar is fine (lots of single malts) and the location is perfect.

It's still better than the other Hilton Grosvenor, but for a really fine stay try the (non-Hilton) Scotsman. I took my wife there and now the Cally just doesn't measure up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.