Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Late Check Out" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Late Check Out" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:42 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by P D N
I think that 2pm is the norm, but it seems to work on the basis of ask for 3, get 2; ask for 2 get 1.

I have found it useful to talk to housekeeping direct on the floor. They can usually re-jig the schedule and armed with the new information you can approach the front desk and say the you need a late checkout and have spoken to the floor manager/ess and he/she has told you that they need the room by xx pm and you will be out half an hour before this time.

Do not request a “late checkout”., these words provoke a knee-jerk re-action, try and find something more inventive that makes them stop and pause for ½ a second to understand what you want (not too obscure-1/2 sec thinking time is max).

If staying for 3 days or longer (the longer the better) and you know you need a late check-out, then arrange this in advance with in-house reservations. They can usually arrange a 6 pm checkout as part of the “package” and then you know the room is blocked off for you until this time even if the hotel is full that night.

Paying for a late checkout: It amazes me how many times the hotel is said to be full so that there is no opportunity of a late check-out, unless you pay!!!!! Dealt with carefully you can usually embarrass the staff to give a late check-out or at a reduced rate.

Finally when told its hotel policy, then you are getting a correct answer and may need to consider paying. I needed to stay until 10 pm at one property and noting the cheapest web rate for the night, I negotiated that rate which included breakfast rather than paying the late checkout rate. (The late checkout rate at £10/hour after the 2pm comp was £70, while a cheap promotional rate was £45 for the night). Armed with the correct info they just extended the room one night at the promotional rate (not Hilton web site) very quickly.
Embarrass the staff? Please explain. That sounds like a classy thing to do to another human being.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:12 am

Programs: HHonors, Marriott Rewards, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
What I find funny with the late check out fee is the hotel is full so they can't give you a late checkout for free but they can if you pay? If the hote is full how is paying for a late checkout going to open up rooms any faster than if you don't pay? It i like airlines with overweight bag fees. They claim for safety reasons thhey don't want bagss over 50 lbs yet they will take them if the PAX pays a fee. A heavy bag is not more of a safety concern to an employee if there is a overweight bag fee paid than if they didn't charge.
I can find a fee for late check out quite reasonable when a hotel is truly full.

You pay to stay in room later. If, by some chance, they inconvenience a guest who was supposed to get that room, they can offer to discount the room rate for that guest, not pay tons to walk them, and come out either even or a bit ahead.

Now of course, if nobody's inconvenienced 'cause you leave and they can turn the room quick enough, that's a different story.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by JJJJust
I can find a fee for late check out quite reasonable when a hotel is truly full.

You pay to stay in room later. If, by some chance, they inconvenience a guest who was supposed to get that room, they can offer to discount the room rate for that guest, not pay tons to walk them, and come out either even or a bit ahead.

Now of course, if nobody's inconvenienced 'cause you leave and they can turn the room quick enough, that's a different story.

If it is a hotel with a 3 p.m. check in then I don't think as a premium member of that chains program asking for a 1 p.m. check out, especially in a large hotel, is asking that much myself. I can understand asking for 4 p.m. or if you aren't a premium member.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:25 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
I am fine checking out and leaving my luggage, but I am curious how many people have any luck with late lounge access? I saw the mention of the Hilton BA earlier, I'm going to be staying at the Conrad Hong Kong in a bit and my flight out isn't until 11pm. I'd love to hit the town, then come back for some drinks and internet access in the lounge before heading to the airport. Anyone know if that is possible?
Old Jun 29, 2010, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by loomis
Embarrass the staff? Please explain. That sounds like a classy thing to do to another human being.
Embarres them but in a kind way so that they have the opportunity to save face.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by dcmike
I am fine checking out and leaving my luggage, but I am curious how many people have any luck with late lounge access? I saw the mention of the Hilton BA earlier, I'm going to be staying at the Conrad Hong Kong in a bit and my flight out isn't until 11pm. I'd love to hit the town, then come back for some drinks and internet access in the lounge before heading to the airport. Anyone know if that is possible?
I have found that possible in all the Hiltons I have stayed in with the exception of Schipol and Birmingham (I did eventually get into Schipol-after some hassle).

I can not talk about all Hiltons, but normally it is access from morning of arrival to evening of departure-at least here in Europe
Old Jun 29, 2010, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond

Should not be a problem. Last year they gave me a 4pm check out and then I went to the lounge for an hour.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:48 pm

Programs: LH SEN
I'm a Diamond and I don't think I've ever been turned down for a 2pm checkout. At the Zurich Airport Hilton last month the desk clerk offered a 7pm check out. I think it's mostly a function of occupancy.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I did it this past weekend in Chicago with no problem. They gave me a 4 p.m. check out and I had a 6:40 train (union station is less than a 20 minute walk from palmer house) and I just checked out a little before and went up to the lounge and played on the computer and at 5 had a plate of the appetizers and left. At the front desk she told me that the key would work to get me up the lounge floor and I had full privledges, the only thing I couldn't do was charge at the bar after checkout.

I was planning on being outside all day (plans changed) and asked if I could use the health club after checkout to shower and change when I came back and was told I could.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HGI charging for late checkouts now??????

I stay at the HGI on 8th in NYC at least 5 to 6 times a year and have ALWAYS been given at least a 2 p.m. late checkout with no problem at all (even as a gold) and have always been given a corner room if they were avialable for no charge.

I just booked a room for in a couple weeks and never had a NOR-1 come up before for this property for upgrades but did this time. They are asking for $9 for a corner room if available and there was another option for $20 for a late checkout of up to 2 p.m.

I am hoping they will still give me a 2 p.m. checkout with no problem. I thought a late checkout (based on availability) was one of the privledges of being a higher up HH member.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 8:10 pm

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I stay at the HGI on 8th in NYC at least 5 to 6 times a year and have ALWAYS been given at least a 2 p.m. late checkout with no problem at all (even as a gold) and have always been given a corner room if they were avialable for no charge.

I just booked a room for in a couple weeks and never had a NOR-1 come up before for this property for upgrades but did this time. They are asking for $9 for a corner room if available and there was another option for $20 for a late checkout of up to 2 p.m.

I am hoping they will still give me a 2 p.m. checkout with no problem. I thought a late checkout (based on availability) was one of the privledges of being a higher up HH member.
DON'T TAKE ANY NOR-1s! If you check any, you are AGREEING to PAY for the privileges.

Upgrades are not part of the HGI benefits but as a frequent visitor, the hotel should give you something as a "thank you". If they had been giving you a corner room previously, you can ask politely on check-in if it is not offered as usual.

The late check-out is a soft benefit. It is listed as an "if available" benefit. Again, as a frequent guest, ask about the late check-out. It should be extended to you as a courtesy for your frequent patronage.

These NOR-1s are Hilton's way of milking its guests for add'l revenue, including its VIPs who ostensibly are supporting the company w/their frequent custom. It is a way of devaluing the VIP on-site benefits as much of what is offered as a benefit is listed as "if available", i.e., we'll give it to our "valuable" VIPS for free if anything is leftover after selling it to anyone else.

DO NOT PAY!

Last edited by travelinfoo; Jul 9, 2010 at 8:32 pm
Old Jul 9, 2010, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelinfoo
DON'T TAKE ANY NOR-1s! If you check any, you are AGREEING to PAY for the privileges.

Upgrades are not part of the HGI benefits but as a frequent visitor, the hotel should give you something as a "thank you". If they had been giving you a corner room previously, you can ask politely on check-in if it is not offered as usual.

The late check-out is a soft benefit. It is listed as an "if available" benefit. Again, as a frequent guest, ask about the late check-out. It should be extended to you as a courtesy for your frequent patronage.

These NOR-1s are Hilton's way of milking its guests for add'l revenue, including its VIPs who ostensibly are supporting the company w/their frequent custom. It is a way of devaluing the VIP on-site benefits as much of what is offered as a benefit is listed as "if available", i.e., we'll give it to our "valuable" VIPS for free if anything is leftover after selling it to anyone else.

DO NOT PAY!

I am not paying. And with the the late check out it said subject to availability wasn't guaranteed. I have never had a problem getting at least a 2 p.m. checkout in the past and hopefully won't this time. A few weeks ago I stayed at the palmer house in Chicago and when I reserved the room one of the add ons that came up with nor-1 was an early check in. The hotel was sold out the night before and the room I wanted wasn't ready (they did offer me another room I didn't want) at 10 a.m. I could have still checked in for free if it was ready or I was willing to take the room they had available. I am hoping it will be the same situation with the late checkout in a couple weeks.

I am just hoping that hilton doesn't decide to start requiring you pay these fees for an early check in or late checkout. If they do that will be a good way for them to lose some loyal members since at least one chain (I believe SPG) gives their premiums a 4 p.m. check out.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
It is interesting how Hilton and Hyatt have handled NOR1 differently. Hilton wants you to pay up for the basic upgrade you'd deserve if available. But my experience with Hyatt was that NOR1 helped you get a FREE upgrade by giving you a chance to ask for it at no charge. In fact, at one property (Hyatt Crystal City VA) I usually got an upgrade to a corner king, but with the NOR1 I have gotten an upgrade to the two-room suite on two straight stays. At no charge.

So as much as I won't stay at any Hilton with NOR1 now, I can't completely blame the NOR1 people as much as the property management for not configuring it appropriately.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
It is interesting how Hilton and Hyatt have handled NOR1 differently. Hilton wants you to pay up for the basic upgrade you'd deserve if available. But my experience with Hyatt was that NOR1 helped you get a FREE upgrade by giving you a chance to ask for it at no charge. In fact, at one property (Hyatt Crystal City VA) I usually got an upgrade to a corner king, but with the NOR1 I have gotten an upgrade to the two-room suite on two straight stays. At no charge.

So as much as I won't stay at any Hilton with NOR1 now, I can't completely blame the NOR1 people as much as the property management for not configuring it appropriately.
I wouldn't have a problem with NOR1 if Hilton operated it the same way Hyatt did

Something else that really has me upset is that I just booked a room at the LV hilton. The nor-1 upgrade screen came up and there is an option for $10 for a recently renovated room. My way is set for upgrades/breakfast for hilton and I am sure this is the type of room you used to get for free if available for a HH upgrade.

Apparently people pay for these charges online or they wouldn't continue to offer them. I refuse to offer to offer to pay for a 2 p.m. checkout. I could understand charging it if it was a priceline reservaiton or was a very late checkout at like 6 p.m., but it's absurd to be charging $20 to your highest tier loyalty members for a 2 hour extended checkout when at least one of their competitors offers 4 p.m.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 4:15 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick

While I agree that NOR1 is bad for anyone with status looking for an upgrade, I have to disagree that Hilton doesn't allow you to ask for a free upgrade.

It's been my experience at NOR1 hotels that the first category upgrade is given for free. Sometimes that upgrade is from a cityview to an oceanview or something nonconsequential, but it is indeed a one category upgrade.

I think it's Hilton's fault for stating one category room upgrade in the T&C and not "best room in the house" or "suite"..etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.