Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Late Check Out" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Late Check Out" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2009, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Sounds like many of you (especially out of the US) have done well, I've never gotten past 1pm.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 2:31 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, United 1K, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by zdcatc12
Stayed at the Hampton in Leesburg, VA and asked for one. The clerk said 12PM. I said isn't that the normal check-out, he said no, that 11AM was. I didn't even think that anyone had 11AM checkouts anymore, except in resort areas. Wouldn't budge past 12.
I've had great luck w/ late checkouts at that property, so just like everything Hilton, it's completely random.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 4:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
I received a 12:30 late checkout today
Old Oct 9, 2009, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by moman
I received a 12:30 late checkout today
Did you start by asking for 1PM? If you'd started with a 12:30 request, you'd have probably gotten "I need to speak to my manager", and then a 12:15 counteroffer...

Regarding the 11AM checkouts: the HGVC/MVCI properties tend to have them. I can kind of understand that since it takes a housekeeper a lot longer to do a full-clean on each unit between guests.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 8:54 am

Programs: Dividend Miles GP; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by pinniped
I'm Gold...I always have to haggle for the late checkout. I hate it.
Well - it is not guaranteed, so why get all cranky? When you book the room, you know what their checkout time is, so they're not obligated to give you any type of late checkout. When I ask for one, usually its not for anything past 1:00 PM when regular checkout time is 11:00 AM, and I never have a problem.

I find it amusing that for many programs (hotels, airlines, etc) that people with certain status levels get a lot of nice perks over and above what they pay for, but then get pissy when they can't get something above and beyond the cost of their room / plane ticket / whatever.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 9:59 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, United 1K, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, Marriott Gold
Ask politely, don't flaunt your "status", and be reasonable in your request. I've never had a problem adding 1-2 hours to my stay. If I need more time then they comfortably feel they can give me in the room, I've continued to work from a lounge, breakfast area, or business center w/o issues.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 10:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
Did you start by asking for 1PM? If you'd started with a 12:30 request, you'd have probably gotten "I need to speak to my manager", and then a 12:15 counteroffer...

Regarding the 11AM checkouts: the HGVC/MVCI properties tend to have them. I can kind of understand that since it takes a housekeeper a lot longer to do a full-clean on each unit between guests.
Nope, I asked for a 12:30 checkout and the lady seemed surprised and said "OK".

Darn Tober, I'm wondering if you're just used to the poor service on US Airways and that has ruined your expectations for elite programs. When I spend thousands of $$$ per year on travel accomodations, I as a consumer have a choice where to spend the money. I try to spend it with companies that take good care of their customers. A miss here or there is not a big deal, but repeated misses will cause me to look for alternatives. It's not asking for a yellow sheet cake to be on my dresser at check in, it's asking little requests that don't (or rarely) inconvenience the hotel or staff but make my life much easier.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 2:20 am

Programs: QF-LTS & P, SQ-TPPS, IC-RA, HH-D, *wood G, Others
I've often wondered about a "trading scheme" my occasional need for a late checkout (8 or 9pm) versus all the times I have left before 7am! There doesn't seem to be any systemic memory of this, just ours, and each occasion is subject to availability. Noone has ever said "I'm sorry Mr Infoworks, you must stay until 10pm tonight" for example, but usually glad when I am checking out early (focus on the process not the people).

My experience however with Conrads and Hiltons, predominantly in Asia and the Middle East has been mostly accommodating to my occasional late checkout needs (often 8pm or later when on midnightesque flights).
Old Oct 10, 2009, 10:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, CO Platinum, Hertz Gold, National Emerald
Hilton Grand Vacation at the Flamingo in Las Vegas. I had a departing flight on a Thursday evening at around 5pm. I asked for a 3pm checkout and was offered to have the room until 3pm for a $50 fee. I accepted, but still had a maid calling my room and knocking on my door a few times. I figured she would just go away but then she called a third time an hour later (1:30 pm) so I had to answer the phone and explain.

Usually I can get a 1pm checkout anywhere with just a phone call. Anything after that there seems to be a partial room fee.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 3:01 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Lightbulb

Anyone ever ask what the "Day Rate" is at check-in? At a Garden Inn recently, I arrived at ~2am. The front desk guy said he'd put me in for the Day rate, which was the same as I'd reserved for that night. When I responded with "" and, "I thought that that was only at airport hotels, he said, "They all have them". I wonder what the time span is for a Day Rate? I also wonder if he was right. I was too pooped to ask, and then out of there at 10am. Just a @:-) for possibly saving some money in some circumstances. I mean as a counter to facing another full night rate if that's the only apparent option.

Just want to add that I've never had a problem as late as 3pm. This was over years as a Diamond. It will be interesting to see what it's like as a Gold. (Didn't try during my "hiatus".) After looking at this thread, I'm feeling more lucky than I did in the event... Nah, I always thought it was a privilege.

Last edited by Firewind; Oct 11, 2009 at 2:30 pm
Old Oct 11, 2009, 3:19 am

Doubletree Lima 18:00 checkout two weeks ago "of course sir, you are Diamond". Conrad Maldives last March: 16:00.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I often ask for late check outs and have to say that probably in 99.9% of cases I have been granted them with no hassle for anything from 1PM through 8PM. I should note that with ANY hotel one should always ask for at least an hour later than you actually want as it seems that they are always preprogrammed to give you a bit less than what you ask for. Furthermore, unless a property is jam packed for the next night, you generally have a half hour grace period to actually check out. The exception to this is of course resorty type places where flights may generally operate late, these sorts o places are either very easy - certain Asian properties/locations or extremely strict - as some have cited the Hawaii properties to be.

On occasion I have encountered the upselling all to eager "impossible" person, who willoffer an hour and try to upsell for $50 or whatever through 4PM, 6PM or whatever. In these cases I politely decline, go back to my room and speak with the GM or GM's assistant letting them know that I think it disgusting to try this upsell crap on a decade double diamond Honors member (or SPG as the case may be, I am shocked at the believabilty around here in SPG's promise as last year I had the Westin in CPT and the Sheraton in GIG both try to upsell me 4PM check-outs, and yes I was Platinum at the time) when I do this I am generally granted my late check-out on the spot.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tober138
Well - it is not guaranteed, so why get all cranky? When you book the room, you know what their checkout time is, so they're not obligated to give you any type of late checkout. When I ask for one, usually its not for anything past 1:00 PM when regular checkout time is 11:00 AM, and I never have a problem.

I find it amusing that for many programs (hotels, airlines, etc) that people with certain status levels get a lot of nice perks over and above what they pay for, but then get pissy when they can't get something above and beyond the cost of their room / plane ticket / whatever.
Many hotel chains prominently advertise late checkouts as a primary feature of even their more basic elite status. I understand they all give themselves fine-print caveats for extreme demand situations or whatever, but for a stay during regular demand, the hotel market itself has set the expectation that a simple request like a late checkout would be honored for an elite member.

Contrast this to room upgrades, where hotel programs are much more cautious in their advertising, with mass-market communications generally not mentioning it at all and targeted/CRM communications prominently placing the "space available" verbiage directly into taglines in most cases, not in fine-print legalese.

We're conditioned to accept that suite upgrades are rare, "nice room" upgrades are common, and nothing is guaranteed. We know it's a limited resource for the hotel. A reasonable late-checkout request is on a different, smaller level.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 1:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, USAir Silver, National Exec Elite
A big fat NO at the Hilton Lac Leamy in Ottawa, Quebec this past weekend. I didn't even get to ask for a specific time. I was slightly disappointed but it was Thanksgiving weekend there.

Usually I have no problems getting late check outs.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 6:16 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by N2IT
A big fat NO at the Hilton Lac Leamy in Ottawa, Quebec this past weekend. I didn't even get to ask for a specific time. I was slightly disappointed but it was Thanksgiving weekend there.

Usually I have no problems getting late check outs.
Maube it's different in Canada (besides being in a different month), but Thanksgiving in the US is a VERY SLOW time in the hotel business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.