Wiki Posts
Search

I REALLY like Hilton Garden Inns

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2007, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I REALLY like Hilton Garden Inns

I'm at a Garden Inn for most of this week. I've only stayed in one one time for one night a few years ago. But this time I got to appreciate what this brand offers: free full breakfast buffet for golds and diamonds, including made-to-order omelets; two bottles of water (minor, but thought I'd mention them); refrigerator and microwave; free LAN; and free business center. Plus a couch, which I like to have for working.
I had to print (which you can do from the room) and fax several long documents while here, and doing all that was free. I would have spent a small fortune at FedEx Kinkos down the road for printing and faxing.

I'm sold on this brand. It's not the luxury of some Hiltons, but it offers everything I need at a great price.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 9:02 am

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Red face

agreed on all points.

one minor nit - the suites include a special feature, a little locked closet adjacent to the bedroom, which contains the air conditioning/HVAC unit for the entire floor. the noise kind of sucks in this "upgraded" room. why not work out a way to put that in the worst room in the place rather than one that is suppsed to be nice?

Just returned from the Boca Raton,FL HGI,
w-m-f
Old Nov 2, 2007, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I kind of agree with you...but with a caveat. My first series of HGI experiences was at either new properties, or properties with a total room overhaul recently completed.

I sort of expected every HGI to be just as nice - but was really disappointed the first time I stayed at a HGI which had not been fully renovated. I didn't realize the brand had been around for quite awhile and some of the properties were quite tired looking. It was a stark contrast to the first hotels - and a surprise discovery since I didn't do my homework first.

So...the moral to the story. HGI properties are great - just make sure you select a new or totally renovated one.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Just don't get to an HGI late hoping for food

Unless the Denny's across the street is open, the HGI's have no food except breakfast.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ORDflyer
Unless the Denny's across the street is open, the HGI's have no food except breakfast.
Many but not all HGI serve dinner too and the larger ones serve lunch. Also I have never stayed in an HGI that would not drive you to/from a restaurant, mall etc within approx a 5 mile radius at no charge.

MisterNice
Old Nov 2, 2007, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold; HH Gold
A couple months ago I stayed at a HGI for about 3 weeks. At the end I was hooked. It's my new favorite hotel, and I'll gladly go out of my way to stay at one in the future.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
...the HGI's have no food except breakfast.
Not true. I think every HGI I've been in has a dinner menu, and you can usually eat at a lobby bar. They also have good knowledge of neighborhood restaurants and can arrange delivery of all kinds of things. Food at an HGI has never been a problem for me.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, RCC, PreChk , Hertz 5* Gold, HH Silver, SPG Gold thx to Amex Plat
The last time I stayed at the HGI near Times Square (NYC), I didn't have hot water for two mornings (out of a 3-night weekend stay), and it was in the winter time. I could only shower after coming back from the matinee shows.

Also, the elevators were always packed and busy during the rush hour. It was faster to take the stairs.

At the time, the HGI rate was cheaper than the regular Hiltons, but it's not worth it as I prefer to shower in the morning.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
The HGI I'm in this week has an extensive room service dinner menu. Other than breakfast, I don't like eating in a hotel dining room anyway unless there is nothing within walking distance if I don't have a car. So I don't miss lunch and dinner in the dining room.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 8:15 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I would say HGI beats Marrriott Courtyard by a mile, but to say they are better then hilton, I have to disagree. They are newer versus some great hiltons and some that need work.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by troyintn
... to say they are better then hilton, I have to disagree...
They are certainly more consistent than full-line Hiltons, and frequently represent better value for money unless you really need a ballroom in your hotel. One of Hilton's little brand-management issues is that HGI is in general a better-executed, better-value product than Hilton hotels.

Last edited by BearX220; Nov 3, 2007 at 12:15 pm Reason: Fix typo
Old Nov 2, 2007, 11:36 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
I agree. the HGI is the best chain out there right now for my money and locations. I don't necessarily stay in the biggest cities, but in every smaller-midsize city right now, they are building HGI's all the time. They are confortable, have consistantcy, decent food for a hotel, and the best beds in their catagory. I think HH has a great brand with HGI. Now, if they could only develop a boutique-smaller-high end brand...
Old Nov 3, 2007, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Not true many (most?) have dinner. If not, get a delivery
Old Nov 5, 2007, 4:28 pm

Programs: * A
In my experience of atleast 4 different HGI's most of them either provide room-service in house or they have some sort of arrangements with at least a local restaurant to provide the room-service. Enjoy HGI! However, I have never been able to recieve their so called "Get-Fit-Kit". It's probably just me!
Old Nov 5, 2007, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Another fan of HGIs here. ^ My favourite amongst the Hilton Family.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.