Wiki Posts
Search

Ride Report - '13 Nissan Versa SV sedan

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2013, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Ride Report - '13 Nissan Versa SV sedan

I haven't rented from my HLE in a couple of months and thought I'd say hello while taking the opportunity do do some errands and more sightseeing. Although they gave me the lowest-mileage car I've ever rented, I'd just as soon have walked

www.nissanusa.com/cars/versa-sedan

Car Description: 13 VERSA 1.6 N (2013 Nissan Versa 1.6L SV sedan)
Class: YB (special compact 4dr)

This Versa sedan was in the SV trim, which is third of four trims (S, S Plus, SV, and SL). The MSRP of this Versa as equipped was $16,200. When I picked it up, there were only 545 miles on it (fantastic for a car from an HLE!), and I added just under 350 miles to it in a day and a half.

Note: I brought my camera to take photos, but forgot the memory card in my room! Then I took photos on my phone but it appears the folder got deleted I did have some photos on Instagram so I've posted those at least.

Powertrain: All trims of the 2013 Versa sedan are now powered by the "HR16DE" 1.6L inline 4-cylinder engine, which produces a measly 109 horsepower and 107 lb-ft of torque. The Versa also carries a blue and chrome "PURE DRIVE" badge, which highlights Nissan's commitment to the environment which involves improving fuel economy and reducing carbon dioxide emmissions. The Versa exceeded [I]2016[I] federal CAFE fuel economy standards as of the 2012 model, four years in advance; the 2013 model has improved fuel economy with 31 mpg city and 40 mpg highway. I actually averaged just under 38 mpg ^

This all sounds great, but it doesn't make up for the fact that on a straight line, a Corolla would outrun this thing. The continuously-variable transmission (CVT) doesn't help, either; it struggles to find the right gear ratio which results in a very jerky ride. Climbing hills or passing other vehicles is a huge undertaking, and it's tough to keep the tachometer in one place at any given moment.

Ride/Handling: The situation does not improve here, either. In town it does as fine as any car would. On the highway, your direction is at the wind's discretion, whether it be from the weather or from a truck passing you. Steering is overly-light and the only sense of road feel is how you feel every bump in the road. Although this would normally highlight a stiff suspension, think about how a Crown Vic or an SUV takes corners: lots of body roll; it's the same story with the Versa, which is shocking considering its size. You might get some understeer if it had any power, but for now you don't need to worry about that.

Interior: The moment you open the door, you are greeted with cheap "Charcoal upgraded cloth" and cheap, hard plastics. The steering wheel is too small for comfort; although it does tilt, there's not enough range for it to make a difference, and it does not telescope either. The wheel-mounted cruise controls look ugly and feel especially cheap since there's wiggle room on their edges. The dashboard and center stack are all swaths of dark plastics. The HVAC controls consist of three cheap-feeling, tough-to-use dials which feel like they belong on a toy of some sort, not in a motor vehicle.

The radio simply shows the time and radio station (the number), no other information;t has 6 memory buttons for AM and FM stations (no FM2 from what I can tell), but why would you want to even have the radio on? The sound quality is simply awful. Perhaps you'd want to use the radio to drown out the road noise, but unless you crank up the volume it won't help. It seems like Nissan made no effort at all to mute road or wind noise; the engine itself isn't that loud except when you really step on it, probably since it's so small. There's also a noise that sounds like something swishing around in front of the glove compartment

Other basic features are missing; calling the interior "spartan" would be a compliment. There are no reading lights (other than a center dome light, which barely even works!) or vanity mirrors on the sun visors. There's a single DC power outlet and there's an aux-in jack on the radio; that's it! Storage space is severely lacking; although the glove compartment is huge, there's no center storage console or any other hidden/closeable compartments, and door slots are tiny. The trunk is also sort of big, but note that the only way to open it is via the floor-mounted switch in the driver's footwell. The driver's seat does get an armrest which is actually pretty comfortable, but your back will still ache after a long drive. This Versa has the carpeted floor and trunk mats, which apparently is a $170 option!

Exterior/Design: Along with fuel economy, I think the only other redeeming feature of the Versa is its very cool styling. I like the Red Brick paint a lot. In my opinion it's one of the better-looking compact cars in the fleet, at least from the outside. The old Versa, if anyone recalls, seemed very tall and ungainly, and although it keeps some of the tall stature it appears that the problem is generally fixed. I do have two issues: the lower portion of the C-pillars are huge and (depending on how tall you are) could create blind spots; also, the side-view mirrors, while tall, are not wide enough (I do like that their casings are painted though).

Features: Ha! Power windows and door locks, tilting steering wheel with mounted cruise control, AM/FM radio with auxiliary outlet, one DC power outlet, driver's seat armrest, seatbelts, etc. Amazingly, Hertz must have felt bad for potential renters and splurged on the Carpeted Floor and Trunk Mats ($170).

Value: I paid right around $30 for two days on an ECAR reservation. If I was paying any more than that, I would have flat-out refused this car. The only reason I didn't swap it is because of its good fuel economy, the very low mileage, and in an attempt to stay on the new manager's good side

Summary
  • 1.6L inline 4-cyl. (109 hp, 107 lb-ft)
  • CVT
  • 31/40 mpg (city/hwy), averaged 38
  • SV trim

PROS:
  • Excellent fuel economy
  • Large glove compartment
  • Looks lightyears better than the last-generation (2011) Versa
  • Decent amount of rear legroom

CONS:
  • Extremely weak engine with an inhibitive CVT
  • Overly-light steering
  • Easily pushed around by wind on highways
  • Excessive body roll
  • No apparent efforts made to mute road/wind/any noise
  • Very limited in-cabin storage space
  • Lack of basic features (reading lamps, vanity mirrors)
  • Hard, cheap plastics galore
  • Overly basic radio unit could be from the 90s
  • Abysmal stereo quality
  • Awkward placement of switch-screen button for info screen
  • Floor-mounted trunk release switch is the only way to open the trunk

I was so sick of this thing that I dropped it off 18 hours early. The '13 Versa sedan easily ties with the '11 Corolla as the worst car I've ever driven. Even with its exceptional fuel economy, the so-called updated Versa has a long way to go before it becomes comparable to other CCARs. Its MSRP is low compared to others, although that is truly reflected in the final product. Unless it's all that one could afford, I see no reason why anyone in their right mind would purchase one of these. Unfortunately, there were three of these on the lot at my HLE

Final Verdict: Guilty as charged; something to be avoided at all costs.

Photo info: the photos in this report were taken last weekend at Castle Rock, UT; Echo Reservoir, UT; and on East Big Cottonwood Canyon Road just south of Salt Lake City. The final photo was taken on the lot at my HLE.

-J.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:29 am

Did you exchange it or just dropped it off 18 hrs early?
Old Mar 24, 2013, 6:42 am

I totally concur! Great fuel economy, but cheap everything else and the engine was loud. Oh, and the seats were uncomfortable.

**Oops, I was thinking of the slightly larger '13 Sentra SV, but your review sounds the same!
Old Mar 24, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
Don't hold back. Tell us how you really felt about it Reminds me to call the Gold desk and put a NO NISSAN's on my profile. Not that it will do much good.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by Earthlings
Did you exchange it or just dropped it off 18 hrs early?
Just dropped it off since I was done with it. HLEs are usually closed on Sundays so I did the express return and left the keys in the box... hate doing that but all went fine (except they forgot to remove the FPO... had @Hertz on Twitter take care of that).

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
I totally concur! Great fuel economy, but cheap everything else and the engine was loud. Oh, and the seats were uncomfortable.

**Oops, I was thinking of the slightly larger '13 Sentra SV, but your review sounds the same!
Seems sort of common with smaller Nissans I guess

Originally Posted by KevinMD
Don't hold back. Tell us how you really felt about it Reminds me to call the Gold desk and put a NO NISSAN's on my profile. Not that it will do much good.
I need to do the same (although the '13 Altima doesn't look too bad...). If it weren't for the 4-speed transmission in the Corolla I'd say this is worse.

-J.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold
i rented a car out of EWR and i got a '13 versa with 120 miles on it. Brand new, but that was the only highlight. Other than that, I echo all of the sentiments that the OP wrote about. Really a crappy car that is ok for going from point A to point B, but not much there after that
Old Mar 24, 2013, 6:49 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle; SPG Lifetime Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond
Excellent write up, as ever Joshua.

I've not sampled this generation of Versa yet, and based on what you and others have said, absolutely will not be making doing so any form of priority. The old model was a bit gawky to look at, but for a cheap car it was actually not that bad. It sounds as if, just with the Sentra, under the sharp new suit, things have actually gone backwards and are worse than they used to be.

Hertz have a lot of different cars in Group B now - I've not tried all of them, but would guess that the ones to try to get are the Sonic (did I ever think I would say that about a small Daewoo?), the Kia Soul, the Fiesta and the Mazda 2.

Oh, just remembered that the Golf is a YB, so actually that would be the best car in the class (and any lingering Volvo C30s which had 2.5T engines).
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:35 pm

Programs: ANA Miledge club, JAL Miledge bank, Hertz #1 Gold
I drove the brand new 2010 back in the day, when an arsehole at Hyatt Hawaii shoved it down my throat even though I politely asked for something else. I still have nightmares about it. Absolutely the worst car I have ever driven. I don't think it even didnt have power mirrors. Also, lack of ABS and bicycle thin tires made this car very unsafe. I was doing about 20 mph and I oversteered onto a on ramp, pressing brakes just locked the wheels up (dry weather). I barely managed to stay on the road, but burst out laughing at how horrible this thing was. I returned it next day and complained.

I was given a ZHZ vette at Outrigger as free upgrade during my next rental.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:48 pm

Never driven in a Versa, but I did drive in Yaris a few years ago when it was a 4 door. It was a fun car to drive around the city running errands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.