Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

List your Free car upgrades here (Outside of Ultimate Choice)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List your Free car upgrades here (Outside of Ultimate Choice)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2016, 6:31 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Cymro
Agree - I really like it and it's "under-classed" as a D (for manual versions) in my view.

That said, its diesel engine is underpowered to make it competitive with other cars in its price and size range, at least as anything other than entry-level. (With 139 hp, the top models really should have another 40 or 50!)
Wow, that is light. The bottom trim in the US is 178hp, and the top hits 245hp. Gasoline/petrol engines only, though. Fuel economy is different, too, of course: 7.4-9.4 liters per 100km.

Slightly off topic, it does occasionally amaze me how much better car engines have gotten. My first car, from the late 80s, had a 5L V8 which generated 190hp. Today, we're getting 245hp out of a 2L.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 1:51 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
LGA (One-Way to Manhattan)
Reserved: F
Received: YQ 2016 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD. 12,000 miles and the Sirius/XM was still enabled.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 28, 2016 at 12:15 pm
Old Nov 28, 2016, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
HLE Seattle Rainier Avenue
Reserved: C (Midsize, expected Corolla)
Received: VW Passat, 12kish miles, 35 or so mpg, decent handling (but no XM). Liked it, would drive again.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 11:40 am

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
DFW

Reserved: C (Toyota Corolla)
Received: F6 (Nissan Altima, with windshield and roof covered in bird crap).

Went to Gold Canopy and was given a different (clean) Altima.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SIXT Platinum, Hertz PC, Marriott Gold
LHR

Reserved: D
Assigned: H Nissan Qashqai
Rented: F Audi A3 S Line S tronic 1.4

Requested the audi....did not want to drive the nissan...but heard they are good cars.
Quite the effort to get what i wanted...lhr is low on cars till christmas and Hertz uk wont easily give away an "Automatic" for some reason..

Last edited by BlauPassportflyer; Nov 28, 2016 at 5:17 pm
Old Nov 28, 2016, 7:21 pm

LAS
Reserved: Tesla Model S @99.00 per day. (a weekend special I guess)
Received: AMG C63 but NOT the S version! Only a base C63 (those .......s)
Old Dec 3, 2016, 5:55 am

EWR (One-Way to Manhattan)
Assigned: Q4 2016 Toyota RAV4 LE AWD. 3,400 miles.

I checked out Gold Choice which was predominately B and C class cars; Nissan Sentras and Versas with a random Kia and Ford. The best car in Gold Choice was a YF 2016 Hyundai Sonata SE with 16,000 miles and working Sirius/XM which I decided to take over the RAV4.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 8:22 pm

LHR
PC
Booked B: Vauxhall Corsa (Economy)
Received: C - Vauxhall Mokka - not a great car, but less terrible with the diesel engine.

LHR
PC
Booked C: Ford Focus (compact)
Received: D - Volvo V40
Swapped for a Kia Optima (F) - a weird one but my father is 91 and he has issues with the roofline in the V40 and I needed the car to take him out to lunch for his birthday. Optima was fully loaded (no CarPlay though) - but self-parking, heated/ventilated seats, 360 camera, radar cruise, were all present.
I see you book quite often within the Uk and LHR....

What can you expect as an upgrade for a PC with an X class reserved just before christmas?
Old Dec 6, 2016, 6:15 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I never book X - for UK-resident rates there's a huge step up between D and X and a decent gap between C and D, and I rarely get a better upgrade from a D than a C... so my regular booking is a C.

That said, right before Christmas availability will be very tight indeed. I wouldn't expect you to get downgraded, but X group cars are rare, and there are limited opportunities for a manual car in higher groups - and people with an automatic reservation have to take priority because if you pass your test in an automatic in the UK, you can't drive a manual.

So it's a gamble I'm afraid... you could literally get anything from a Kia Optima (D/F) through to a Mercedes B-Class (F), Nissan X-Trail (W), all the way up to a Mitsubishi Shogun (W6 - not common but even less popular, hence they tend to sit on the lot). If what you get is way off base then go speak to the staff in the Gold booth - they're *much* more flexible, and seem to have better access to stock than those in the main area. If the Gold booth is closed when you arrive, you'll probably be out of luck.

There are a few Mondeos (Ford Fusions in the US) around in Group X and they are decent, though sloooow if you get the 1.5 diesel.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
EWR (One-Way to Manhattan)
Assigned: Q4 2016 Toyota RAV4 LE AWD. 3,400 miles.

I checked out Gold Choice which was predominately B and C class cars; Nissan Sentras and Versas with a random Kia and Ford. The best car in Gold Choice was a YF 2016 Hyundai Sonata SE with 16,000 miles and working Sirius/XM which I decided to take over the RAV4.
I tried the RAV 4 recently and found it to be surprisingly good. Not luxury, but decent enough. I'd take it over a Sonata anyday.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:18 pm

The XM/Sirius was a dealbreaker for me, plus I had a RAV4 (with sat radio) the week before. But, I agree, I would happily get a RAV4 for an F rental most of the time.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 4:56 pm

I never book X - for UK-resident rates there's a huge step up between D and X and a decent gap between C and D, and I rarely get a better upgrade from a D than a C... so my regular booking is a C.

That said, right before Christmas availability will be very tight indeed. I wouldn't expect you to get downgraded, but X group cars are rare, and there are limited opportunities for a manual car in higher groups - and people with an automatic reservation have to take priority because if you pass your test in an automatic in the UK, you can't drive a manual.

So it's a gamble I'm afraid... you could literally get anything from a Kia Optima (D/F) through to a Mercedes B-Class (F), Nissan X-Trail (W), all the way up to a Mitsubishi Shogun (W6 - not common but even less popular, hence they tend to sit on the lot). If what you get is way off base then go speak to the staff in the Gold booth - they're *much* more flexible, and seem to have better access to stock than those in the main area. If the Gold booth is closed when you arrive, you'll probably be out of luck.

There are a few Mondeos (Ford Fusions in the US) around in Group X and they are decent, though sloooow if you get the 1.5 diesel.
Thank you Cymro! It is much appreciated!

Last couple times I have reserved C and D and gotten a D3 elite and F (audi a 3)

This reservation is for Christmas week (peak season I know) and fortunately was able to use autoslash to get an x reservation for 160 gbp for the week. Great considering my previous reservation for that week had it at 325 for X and 260 for C.

Haven't had gold booth closed on my later arrivals last time...hope it won't be as I'm coming in around 21h....

Really intrigued to find out what they will offer. Have driven the mondeo/insignia...and whilst not bad cars am looking more for a a4 or the likes...guess it will be the luck of the draw. Saw that they sometimes are classified as x?

If you notice a big gap try autoslash? Its worked great for me...you can even book a higher car class and see what autoslash churns out as a cheaper option and cancel if it doesnt suit.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
MIA

Plat
Reserved F, given Mercedes CLA 250.

Within my limited US experience, MIA has the best Platinum upgrades.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:29 pm

YYZ Terminal 1
Saw a rare C $60/day base rate for the T4 class before discounts.
PC
Booked Durango (T4)
Offered: Durango R/T or Yukon SLE (T6)
Asked for a Yukon SLT and received a 2016 one with 13,000km. It seems much more loaded than the 2015 one. I'm a happy camper.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Last Heathrow rental of 2016:

LHR (£15/day all in, 3 weekend days).
PC
Booked C
Received K - Kia Sportage KX2 (4WD, nav, backup camera, don't think it has front parking sensors but generally well equipped. 4WD increases the fuel consumption though).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.