Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wanted: A simple method for breaking the key chain wire

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wanted: A simple method for breaking the key chain wire

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
As much as I hate the two-key situation, it's better than what I've been seeing a bit recently at Avis where there is only one key on the ring, but the second is either in the glove box or in the trunk (in the bag with the other paperwork/etc).

Their T&Cs state that :

8. The hirer shall ensure that:
f) the vehicle is locked and secure at all times when it is not in use and the keys kept under the hirer's personal control at all times;
How exactly I'm supposed to do that when I don't even know that there's an extra key in the car is something I've been meaning to ask them...
Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:13 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Originally Posted by Rut Dog
FlyerTalkers know better.
Too funny, I saw that the other day too.

It's been a while since I tried to separate the keys though. I don't bother in the winter usually because it's going into a coat pocket. And every once in a while there is only one key on the ring. I always wonder what happened there.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
I love this site - too much like-minded people. I HATE those two-key-and-a-tag thing - they are so bulky, it's a nightmare. I tend to dress in form-fitting/slim fitting clothing - nothing like a giant ball of keys and remotes sticking out in your pant pocket

On certain models with the hide-the-key remote, you can release the key itself from the remote. I would do that and keep the key with me and leave the rest in the trunk or somewhere safe.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
I recently discovered you can buy 50 of these infernal things for $12 on Amazon. Throw a few in your bag and you can avoid questions at return after having cut the keys free during your rental—they look pretty much exactly like the originals.

I use a mini bolt cutter to snip the Hertz steel wire.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hertz Pres, Avis Pres, Marriott Platinum
Actually if you just twist them around enough the cable will usually snap...
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:55 am

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Originally Posted by DavidRS4
Actually if you just twist them around enough the cable will usually snap...
I used to be able to do that, but when I found most Hertz rentals had changed to a twist proof cable I resorted to pliers.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: Hertz Gold PC,Virgin Atlantic Silver,SAS Eurobonus Silver
I noticed that in Canada (at least in the Hertz places I rented in Toronto) that the second key is in a bag, either around the emergency tyre or in a nook in the boot, which was much easier.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Southwest A-List, Hertz 5*
I want to second an idea that someone else already mentioned.

Cars with so-called “smart keys” still have vestigial key blades secreted away inside the fob (so that you can still get the car open if the battery is dead or the electronics malfunction). And in most cases, the keyring is threaded through an eyelet that’s attached to the removable key blade. As as result, if you press the release button and slide the blade out of the fob, you can store the second fob, blade, and obnoxious “#1” keyring elsewhere and just keep a single, trim fob in your pocket.

You’ll want to make sure that the fob in your car is still operable without the blade inserted, but in in my experiences with a Volkswagen CC, a Volvo S80, and a Toyota Prius, all worked perfectly.

Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by briantroutman
I want to second an idea that someone else already mentioned.

Cars with so-called “smart keys” still have vestigial key blades secreted away inside the fob (so that you can still get the car open if the battery is dead or the electronics malfunction). And in most cases, the keyring is threaded through an eyelet that’s attached to the removable key blade. As as result, if you press the release button and slide the blade out of the fob, you can store the second fob, blade, and obnoxious “#1” keyring elsewhere and just keep a single, trim fob in your pocket.

You’ll want to make sure that the fob in your car is still operable without the blade inserted, but in in my experiences with a Volkswagen CC, a Volvo S80, and a Toyota Prius, all worked perfectly.

I can't think of any car where that isn't the case Although on a Avis rental of a 300, they had the wire on both the key blade and the fob
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:37 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CTNYC
I can't think of any car where that isn't the case Although on a Avis rental of a 300, they had the wire on both the key blade and the fob
Smart Key for the 2014 Ford Taurus Limited I had this week was not like this, only the fob was attached to the wire.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles
Smart Key for the 2014 Ford Taurus Limited I had this week was not like this, only the fob was attached to the wire.
I stand corrected... Although I have never driven a Ford since maybe ~2009 or 2010 or so... But I wasn't referring to how Hertz tags/wires their keys, just that all the car's I've driven have the "real" key (usually has the loop the wire connects to) detachable from the fob (the remote part that is required to start the car)
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:22 am

I feel this isn't right. Either it is stupid, as there is no easy way for a traveller to separate the keys, and thus carrying around 2 sets of keys is pointless. Or it is a ploy on the rental car agencies to make it so if you lose a key you lose all 2, thus get charged more.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I user pliers, but what I do is make a stop at the first convenient hardware store (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.) or department store (Target, Walmart, etc.) and "borrow" one of their pliers to snip the ring apart. Many times grocery or drug stores will have a small hardware section.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Glad to see im not the only one who wants to do this. I havent yet but having now read that there hasnt been any backlash from Hertz im going to start doign it. Rented a Range Rover from them a couple weeks back which was 2 huge keyfobs and the plastic car info tab, impossibly huge to carry around -_-
Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:54 pm

What about asking the guys at the station?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.