Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wanted: A simple method for breaking the key chain wire

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wanted: A simple method for breaking the key chain wire

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just take a metal table knife and wrap the wire around and around until it gently breaks. I always return the keys on a normal key ring.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by MarcM
What about asking the guys at the station?
I really doubt hertz employees will want to cut that for you, but if you want to do it on your own go right ahead.

it's a plastic coated wire with a male and female end that just get slotted together and crimped with pliers, so if it isn't crimped well you could just pull it apart with your fingers --- but I wouldn't recommend this as it may hurt your fingers if it is crimped well/

those cars need both keys when they're defleeted, and if the keys are separated one will inevitably disappear.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA MM
In my experience it is a stranded steel cable and takes some effort to cut - can't just pull it apart.

I usually don't bother on a business trip, but on a vacation trip, I always cut it, both to give another family member access to the car, as well as to have a spare key in case I somehow lost the pile. I keep the #1 tab on the one in my own pocket because I can feel it readily and I always put my hand in my pocket to make sure I have the key when I leave the car (in case it locks automatically, like my old car did)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.