Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Maui Restaurants" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2020, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Moderator's Note: Sadly, due to COVID-19, many of the restaurants listed in this thread are no longer in business. Please check online to determine a restaurant's current status. We will retire this thread and start a new one once conditions stabilize.

Mahalo,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
Hawaii (Travel) Forum
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2014, 2:28 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Pineapple Grill at Kapalua Bay course was also enjoyable. Can't beat 1/2 price apps and hhour drinks in the large bar area. The ahi taco and calamari appetizers were great, but the quesadilla was a miss. Skip the pineapple upside down dessert and go with the bread pudding instead.
IMHO, The Hali’imaile General Store has the best pineapple upside downcake hands down: http://bevgannonrestaurants.com/haliimaile/
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by ac921ol
So is Mama's or Merriman better? Not looking at spending $300-$400 for 2 dinners..

we also have $200 in giftcards at Marriot to eat at the Mala Restaurant?

or we could essentially eat at Mama or Merriman, and use the $200 for a massage at the Marriot.

which would you guys pick?
I was not impressed with Mala. Check out their menu online. It's a small, very casual, space and you feel squeezed in.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Maui Brick Oven - Kihei

I'm amazed no-one's mentioned Maui Brick Oven in Kehei. This is the only totally gluten free restaurant on Maui - if they serve it, it's safe to eat for the gluten intolerant and celiac members of your party.

Good pizza, sandwiches, cinnamon rolls on Mondays.

Not the most romantic of locations, but the food is good and they're very friendly!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 2:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1
Mama's is a special experience, but it's VERY pricey, even by Maui standards. If you drink at all, you'll easily be well into triple digits per person.

And if you drink at all, it's too far a drive from West Maui hotels to be on our list for dinner options.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:09 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA
Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1
Quote:

hula grill is not a peter merriman restaurant
It's part of a California chain restaurant group called TS Restaurants

Originally Posted by ac921ol

So is Mama's or Merriman better? Not looking at spending $300-$400 for 2 dinners..

we also have $200 in giftcards at Marriot to eat at the Mala Restaurant?

or we could essentially eat at Mama or Merriman, and use the $200 for a massage at the Marriot.

which would you guys pick?

All three of these places are excellent, and Mama's is a special experience, but it's VERY pricey, even by Maui standards. If you drink at all, you'll easily be well into triple digits per person. It's not easy to get out of there for under $50 a person for lunch.

I really enjoy Mala, and relative to the quality and creativity of the menu, it's fairly reasonable by Maui standards. I've not eaten at Merriman's on Maui, but I do enjoy Hula Grill (also a Peter Merriman restaurant) and I love the original Merriman's on the Big Island.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:10 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA

Hula Grill is Not a merriman restaurant
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tony10s
Hula Grill is Not a merriman restaurant
Actually, it's both. From Wikipedia's entry on Peter Merriman:

"In 1988, Peter opened his signature upcountry restaurant, Merriman’s, in Waimea on the Big Island of Hawaii. He was proclaimed, "A gourmet in cowboy country" by Hana Hou!, the Magazine of Hawaiian Airlines. The New York Times raved “Everything at Merriman’s…features the freshest local ingredients paired in exciting ways,” and San Francisco Magazine exclaimed “His Wok-charred Ahi is to die for!”

In 1994, Peter partnered with TS Restaurants to open Hula Grill on Maui’s famed Ka`anapali Beach. Hula Grill, touted “the best fish house in the islands” by Honolulu Magazine, brought the concepts of Hawaii Regional Cuisine to a beachside setting."

From the Hula Grill's own menu:

"Hula Grill celebrates Hawaiian culture, architecture and cuisine. Relax in the ambiance
reminiscent of a plantation era beach house and enjoy Chef Peter Merriman’s
regional specialties prepared using traditional island cooking techniques."

Last edited by lhgreengrd1; Aug 20, 2014 at 11:03 am
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key
Originally Posted by Cholula
And if you drink at all, it's too far a drive from West Maui hotels to be on our list for dinner options.
It's worth it to pace yourself and get to Mamas. We drove from West Maui, and it was well worth the 45 minute drive there and back. There is no other restaurant or setting quite like it.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 3:17 pm

Agree on Mama's Fish House. We have driven over from the Hyatt on Kaanapali and it's so worth the drive.

The last time I was there the waiter mentioned that it was a favorite spot of Frank Sinatra's when he would visit Maui.

If it's good enough for Frank...

But seriously....this place is like something out of a Polynesian dream!
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Jhensley1607
It's worth it to pace yourself and get to Mamas. We drove from West Maui, and it was well worth the 45 minute drive there and back. There is no other restaurant or setting quite like it.
Well, I like Mama's, but Ferraro's at the Four Seasons in Wailea has an even better setting, literally. It's outside, right off the beach, and you get to watch what are usually gorgeous sunsets at dinner if you start by 6 pm.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:44 pm

Programs: HH Gold-IHG Plat
I'm here now it's 745pm. Where should I go?

We are doing mamas tomorrow for lunch since they have no reservations for dinner may just try getting dinner at the bar, if we don't do lunch there.

We are at andaz
Old Sep 5, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I would recommend Spago at the Four Seasons, Duo at the Four Seasons, or you can head into Kihei and check out Sarento's. For something a little bit more casual, check out Humuhumunukunukuapua'a at the Grand Wailea - it is kind of hit or miss, but it is a fun place with some great views. How is the Andaz? I am seeing so many iffy reviews and am a bit nervous about my upcoming trip!
Old Sep 5, 2014, 10:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by diggity
I would recommend Spago at the Four Seasons, Duo at the Four Seasons, or you can head into Kihei and check out Sarento's. For something a little bit more casual, check out Humuhumunukunukuapua'a at the Grand Wailea - it is kind of hit or miss, but it is a fun place with some great views. How is the Andaz? I am seeing so many iffy reviews and am a bit nervous about my upcoming trip!
I checked it out when I was last in Maui about 4 months ago staying at the Hyatt. I felt that it was a gorgeous property, but whether or not it was worth $450-500 a night or even more for the better rooms, which was the rate at the time, is a legitimate concern. Not sure I'd pay more than the rate at the Kea Lani for the Andaz. But it's certainly at least as nice as anything short of the Four Seasons or Kea Lani or Ritz Carlton on Maui.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:25 am

We tried a few food trucks/stands last trip.

Local Food in Lahaina is a really great value, but the dishes were a bit uneven. The shredded pork with cabbage was great, as was the spam wasubi, but the other stuff was so so. But it was so much food that there was plenty for everyone to eat what they liked. After we ate, my daughter wanted ice cream and we paid as much at Whaler's Village for two cones as for lunch at Local Food.

Horhitos food truck in Kihei is really good. It gets a top rating from trip advisor and I think it is a bit overrated but still a great cheap option. Shrimp tacos for $3 and mahi for $4, made fresh. We went three times -- once to check it out, once to eat there again, and once on the way to the airport from the Fairmont. Great way to save money if you don't mind eating on a little table in a parking lot. You can also walk across the street to a park that is on the beach.

Also, Ono Gelato in Kihei was really good. It's in the strip mall near the Ace Hardware. Not too expensive -- regular Maui prices -- but fantastic gelato. Lots of Aloha too.

Last edited by lkar; Feb 5, 2015 at 11:34 am
Old Feb 1, 2015, 6:05 pm

Are there asian restaurants ? Indian, Thai, Chinese Vietnamese food?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.