Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Maui Restaurants" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2020, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Moderator's Note: Sadly, due to COVID-19, many of the restaurants listed in this thread are no longer in business. Please check online to determine a restaurant's current status. We will retire this thread and start a new one once conditions stabilize.

Mahalo,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
Hawaii (Travel) Forum
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2002, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Looking for recommendations on a quiet, beautiful location for a dinner following a vow exchange on the beach in Wailea.
Any suggestions?
Old May 5, 2002, 10:45 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I was hoping someone would respond with this place because I can't think of the name, but you might want to try Something or Someone's On The Beach just up from Wailea. It's not the best food on the island - but it's good - and it does have the setting your after (although it is popular and so might not be as quiet as you're hoping). You will need reservations especially for the beachside tables. Sorry I don't have the first part of the name - the concierge where you're staying will know it. Other than that, perhaps one of the hotels would offer the setting your looking for. I've only ate at the Kea Lani, which is nice, but there's also the Four Seasons and the Grand.

For another dinner be sure to go to the Hailemaile (sp?) General Store in Upcountry. Very good food, but not the setting your after.

Best wishes.

[This message has been edited by letiole (edited 05-05-2002).]
Old May 6, 2002, 12:36 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Lovely that you have chosen to do your vow exchange on Maui. Congratulations.
I would suggest having a look at the fourseasons.com website. I believe that their Wailea property is the lovliest in the Wailea area and am certain that the concierge would be delighted to provide suggestions (even, if not staying at the hotel) The staff at the Four Seasons is so accommodating and know that they will do what they can do make your post-vow evening very special.
Old May 6, 2002, 8:45 am

I'm not sure how quiet it is, maybe someone can comment, but I have heard nothing but raves and wonderful things about A Pacific Cafe Maui. It's in the Azeka Place II shopping center in Kihei. Here's a link for the restaurant.
http://www.maui.net/~mol/apacific/pacificcafe.html

[This message has been edited by jetsetter777 (edited 05-06-2002).]
Old May 6, 2002, 7:05 pm

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
I hate to say it, but a source I was looking at reports that A Pacific Cafe has closed.
The site is http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mauupdate.html

The guidebooks sold here are really good. We bought the Big Island one, and would buy the Kauai one if we could find it. (We are going in October).

Hope you find the right place for your dinner. One of the nicest we visited was the Jamison's at the Kapaula Bay (forget the exact site). The view was forgettable, but the dinner and service was very good.

DD
Old May 7, 2002, 7:04 am

Programs: AA,HP,MP,DL,SPG, MR
Does it have to be Wailea? The Hyatt Regency in Kaanapali Beach is a magnificent hotel and the Swan Court Restaurant is beautiful. The ground of the hotel have exotic birds strolling around and there is a Japanese garden, and various gardens just off the beach. It is definitely worth looking into.
Old May 7, 2002, 2:40 pm

Location: PHL/KOA - SU '03 M BB NCAA Champs/Phillies '08 WS Champs/Eagles '18 SB Champs
Programs: AA EXP (3MM)/HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by letiole:
... you might want to try Something or Someone's On The Beach just up from Wailea. Sorry I don't have the first part of the name ....</font>

It was called Carelli's on the Beach and it was THE hot spot for a while (located in Kihei). I was there in 1995 and 1996 - decent, but expensive food, but unbelievable sunset views. Apparently Carelli's has closed and the restaurant is now called Sarento's. The food may have changed, but the sunset views would still be there. However, I would go with one of the hotel restaurants in Wailea or Makena.

Old May 7, 2002, 3:26 pm
Jim&Martha

Definately the Four Seasons......They have 3 restaurants...Make a reservation well in advance for "Farraros" and ask for a table as close to the ocean as possible. Tell them it's your special day, they love that stuff. There you will sit and be graced with violins, great food, service and the view of the Pacific as the sun sets. Can't beat it!

Old May 11, 2002, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A Pacific Cafe (Kihei) closed months ago with some of the owners other restaurants. Carelli's moved to West Maui and closed (I hear) soon after, the building was gutted and became Sorrento's. I hear Sly, Dustin, Arnold etc have not been seen at Sorrento's yet as they often were at Carelli's.

IMHO the BEST view restaurant with excellent food is at the Diamond Resort at a restaurant called Capische (808-879-2224) overlooking the oceanside Wailea resorts. It recently relocated there replacing a nice cheaper bargain-priced Italian restaurant, Bella Luna. The Diamond Resort also has 2 excellent (and pricey) Japanese restaurants should you wish to do chopstick style eating.

Do enjoy the nice islands.

MisterNice
Old May 14, 2002, 3:41 pm

It's a bit of a drive, but Mama's Fish House in Paia is lovely and most atmospheric, and has the advantage of being an old "authentic" place, rather than a place just built, with the "authentic" all of five years old. Check it out on the web.

------------------
bkep
Old Jun 16, 2002, 3:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Farraros at Four Seasons is perfect for your situation. As someone above posted, let them know it's a special occassion.

Figure out when sunset is and make your res. for 30-45 min. before.

This place is amazing.
Old Jun 19, 2002, 6:52 pm

I second Mama's Fish House. Great fish, and even better atmosphere.
Old Jun 22, 2002, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMHO Mama's Fish House has very good (not great) local seafood. Unfortunately the noise level is so high one couldnt hear "sweet nothings" on a bet as nil soundproofing is installed and the tables are packed in way too close for any sort of comfort. The views are outstanding outside but nil from inside.

MisterNice
Old Aug 21, 2002, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1P
Corkage Fees in Maui Restaurants

For our honeymoon, we would like to bring several bottles of wine and champagne that we've been saving for special occasions. Is there a general policy for Corkage Fees in restaurants (in and outside the resorts)? Are you allowed to BYOB at all, or is it prohibited?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 5:49 pm

I have never noticed any mention of corkage fees on any menu in Maui as you sometimes see on menus in SF and especially Napa. I think it happens rather infrequently there and I would contact the specific restaurants directly in this regard. Also, there are some fairly strange liquor laws in Hawaii so you may be on the right track thinking that it is not allowed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.