Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Kaua`i Activity and/or Must-Do" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Kaua`i Activity and/or Must-Do" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2002, 4:13 am

Also, if you're planning to take a boat trip to view the Napali coast, there's only one or two companies operating out of Hanalei, otherwise, you have to drive all the way around the island, and start with the trip with some drab scenery.

Doug has information on this and the names of the companies at his Makai Guy's North Shore Guide and lots more stuff at http://members.toast.net/fdw/northsh/northsh.htm
Old Aug 5, 2002, 12:20 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
From the TUG board:

http://www.tug1.net/tugbbs1/Archives...14-000057.html
Old Aug 10, 2002, 11:24 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
cblaisd,

Thanks for the link to my page (the lavarock one). It caught me offguard in that for a change, I didn't have to slip it in the middle of a message myself :-)

Mahalo!

[This message has been edited by Lavarock7 (edited 08-10-2002).]
Old Aug 10, 2002, 11:37 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SFFlyman:
I highly recommend Polihale State Park on the far west side of the island. The trip there is a bit bumpy over a farm road, but well worth the effort.</font>
I can attest that one must be VERY CAREFUL not to get stuck in the sand at the end of the road. There was a soft spot out there...

You drive for miles over dusty and bumpy roads and all of a sudden, you come across many cars parked. Right in the middle of the road was a spot where it was loose sand and naturally I thought if you just got enough speed up, you could make it through...! NOT!

The drive up the canyon to the very end (Kalalau Valley) is worth the drive. Go early though as you may have to wait for the clouds to part and I hear it gets cloudy later in the day. The sight is fantastic!

I like eating at Dukes Canoe Club (beachfront bar) at the Marriott in Lihue. Poipu has a nice beach. At the north shore, if you are careful, you may be in the water with the turtles. Leave them alone though!

I love driving all around the island and taking all sorts of roads. Only once did I get in a place where I was asked to leave (although they were very nice about it). I think I was behind the Princeville golf course and close to one of the greens :-)

The Kauai Coffee Estate probably still doesn't have tours, but they have LOTS of free coffee samples and many neat gifts to take home with you.

The island really is fun to just explore.
Old Aug 14, 2002, 9:26 pm

No one has mentioned snorkeling! The snorkeling is fabulous all over the island, just look for beaches where the waves are breaking far off shore. We spent 7 wonderful days on Kauai and wish we had more! Only 20% of the island is accessible by car, we took a helicopter ride to see the remaining 80% and it was a high point for us, to see the Napali coast and the canyon from the air! There are many helicopter companies to choose from, we chose one near our hotel. -The island is easy to drive, it's only about 1.5 hours to get from one end to the other. Have a great time, we sure did!
Old Aug 15, 2002, 1:01 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AOBP:
No one has mentioned snorkeling!</font>
A friend of mine had a great time at Ke`e Beach. See the very end of "Throw Momma from the Train" for the exact location...

Anyway, he gets in the water at the same spot as Danny Devito and Billy Crystal and heads out to the edge of the reef. There a giant turtle is swimming with her little ones. I'm guessing the turtle was a female, I'm not sure how one would tell... but that's another thread :-)

The momma turtle kept nudging my friend as they swam along. I think it made his trip!
Old Aug 16, 2002, 8:52 pm

The female sea turtles have smaller tails... seriously.

I used to do volunteer work with a sea turtle program on Kauai... what an experience!
Old Feb 18, 2003, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by aconcagua98:
...I used to do volunteer work with a sea turtle program on Kauai... what an experience!</font>
Are the sea turtles still around on Kauai? Are these turtles resident or are they just passing through? Is there a breeding/nesting/migration/baby turtle season which give a better chance of seeing turtles? We are heading toi Kauai in March and the Pupster would love to see turtles!
Old Feb 19, 2003, 8:03 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
onedog: Sea turtles are year-long residents in Hawaii. I'm sure someone can steer you to them in Kauai, but as I think you're going to the Big Island too ... if you're staying at the Hilton Waikoloa, their lagoon is filled with them. That would be an easy spot for pupster to see them because you can see them from the Grand Staircase and also if you're paddling around in their boats. Also there's a beach to the right of the marina in Kona where you'll always find sea turtles (park at the end of the marina).

I've had a sea turtle try to surface and end up banging into my stomach before. It was quite a shock - probably for both of us.
Old Feb 19, 2003, 12:52 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by letiole:
onedog: Sea turtles are year-long residents in Hawaii. I'm sure someone can steer you to them in Kauai, but as I think you're going to the Big Island too ... if you're staying at the Hilton Waikoloa, their lagoon is filled with them. That would be an easy spot for pupster to see them because you can see them from the Grand Staircase and also if you're paddling around in their boats. Also there's a beach to the right of the marina in Kona where you'll always find sea turtles (park at the end of the marina).

I've had a sea turtle try to surface and end up banging into my stomach before. It was quite a shock - probably for both of us.
</font>
We are staying a week at the Hyatt Kauai and then a week at the Hilton Waikoloa. The Pupster is all into turtles right now so seeing a bunch of sea turtles would just be the cat's meow for him. Departure is one week from today!!!!! Yipee!!!!

Old Feb 23, 2003, 12:27 am

I spent a week in Kauai last month.

Mahaulepu Beach is awesome! Go past the Hyatt on Poipu Road (East) until it turns to gravel. Keep going until you come to the T intersection. Take a right. Go through the gate. Bear to the right at the Y in the road. When you get to the gravel parking lot (with the dumpster) take the narrow gravel road on the left (East) about 200 yards. It's a very rough road, but any ordinary car can make it if you drive slowly. Poipu Beach Park's beach isn't as nice as the Sheraton's.

The Poipu Beach Broiler on Poipu Road is inexpensive & tasty. The nasty looking snack bar on the outside of the Sueoka's grocery store in Koloa has great burgers for $1.90. The Pacific Cafe in Kapaa is not to be missed (I tried the Dim Sum appetizer, the Mahi Mahi, and the steak -- all awesome -- one of my favorite restaurants anywhere!) Katz restaurant in Koloa is so-so (the Cobb Salad looked great though). Maria's Mexican Restaurant in Lihue was a B+. Kudos for the chicken nachos and the guacemole. Local Boy's takeout in Lihue was a B-. Kudos for the Local Boy's Special plate lunch and the Lemon Chicken (dark meat).

Any visit to Kauai should begin and end at Wal Mart in Lihue. Buy lots of bottled water, snacks, sun lotion, soda, beach towels, sandals, etc. on the first trip. Buy all the cheesy souvenirs, mac nuts, t-shirts ($3.96!), etc. on the last trip. Kudos to the hand-carved (Made in Philippines -- peel off the sticker before giving as a gift!) wooden candy trays, etc.

I also stayed at the Waimea Plantation Cottages in Waimea. Absolutely fabulous! All of them are about 100 years old, and have lots of 'character', including ancient door hardware, peeling paint on the porches, 40 year old electric stoves, etc. It was like being at someone's cabin in the woods. I give it an 'A' for its uniqueness, property layout, ability to park at your back door, and the awesome porches. (Every room has a screen door to the porch.) We had a 2br/2ba cottage #54. 3 blocks from a large grocery store, a Subway, and JoJo's shave ice (the best!).

Polihale beach is about 30 minutes away from Waimea. www.polihale.com has great pictures. This is the nicest 'strolling' beach I have ever seen. Waimea Canyon is awesome! Take the road from Waimea, not the other road further West to the canyon. Be sure to go ALL THE WAY to Kalalau lookout; it has a fabulous view of the Napali Coast.

Hanalei/Princeville is very nice. Avoid Zelo's Restaurant in Hanalei (too expensive for so-so food, get the Spaghetti for $10 if you're stuck). The Hanalei Bay Resort's Bali Hai Restaurant might have the most stunning view of any restaurant in the world. I had breakfast there 3 days in a row.
Old Mar 15, 2003, 10:57 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by letiole:

</font>
Just got back from a week at the Hilton Waikoloa and there were sea turtles everywhere! The first day we were walking around the lagoon and crossing one of the bridges when someone pointed out a sea turtle swimming around. We were so excited, but little did we know what was in store for us later that day. We went swimming in the lagoon and there were turtles everywhere!!!! One was swimming about 3 feet from the sand and the pupster was able to get up close and personal.

Old May 1, 2003, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Kauai for 6 days

I will be in Kauai for 6 days (followed by Oahu for 5) in two weeks and I can't wait! We are staying at the Marriott Kauai on an award. Thought I'd ask for some tips from the board:

- Golf: we are looking to play probably two rounds. What are the best courses on the island? I heard there is a Nicklaus track near the Marriott...is that something that hotel guests perhaps get a discount for?

- Hiking: one of our favorite Hawaii activities is hiking. We like moderate-difficulty hikes (non-technical), especially ones that lead to natural pools and/or waterfalls. I hear Kauai is great for this. What are some recommendations? On Maui, we hiked on our own, following a guide book. On the Big Island, we did guided group hikes with lunch and transportation to/from the hike. I'm open to either way: whichever makes the most sense on Kauai.

- Helicopter rides: We did one on Maui and enjoyed it, but probably don't want to spend $180/person for another one. Are there helicopter discounts to be had somewhere? Entertainment book?

- Restaurants: we like just about any type of cuisine, but we don't usually like generic, bland, overpriced hotel food. What are some good restaurants near the Marriott? Casual to just short of coat&tie is fine; iDine or Entertainment is a bonus.

- Whale watching: is it possible in May from Kauai? I won't even ask about monk seals because I can already guess what the answer will be.

- Other must-do activities on Kauai?

Thanks!
Old May 1, 2003, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Pinniped:
Hope you enjoy your stay on Kauai.
Here's a website that might help with the hiking trails: http://www.trykauai.com/Kauai_Hiking.htm
The folks down at the Mariott will also have a lot of other trails you can visit, those most likely themed towards visitors to the island, if that is what you would like.

For golf, try: http://www.gohawaii.com/VacationPlan.../General/Golf/
There are a lot of great golf courses, but my personal favorite, the Princeville Resort Golf Course, can be found here: http://www.princeville.com/play/pvgolf.html

Do not skip out on going to Hanalei Bay and Poipu Beach. Two of the most pristine beaches, I think, on the island.

A lot of people have suggested Air Kauai for their helicopter ride: http://www.airkauai.com/
It doesn't really matter. You pay for what you get, in other words.

You're probably not going to get many idine restaurants that are casual on Kauai or at Poipu. Ask the kama'ainas (locals) around and see where they like to go.

Finally, if you want to go whale watching, go to Maui.

Hope this helps. Kauai is a great, quiet, green, lush place to visit.

------------------
Aloha! Hailing from paradise. www.gohawaii.com
Old May 1, 2003, 7:57 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I found the Limahuli Garden and Preserve fascinating -- and I'm not a garden person. Go in the morning and then eat lunch at the Hanalei Dolpin

http://www.ntbg.org/limahuli.html

http://travel.yahoo.com/p/travelguide/565858
http://dinesite.com/info/rstrnt-258422/?&t=24563

[This message has been edited by cblaisd (edited 05-01-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.