Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boy Scout Type Things to do on Oahu

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2016, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Boy Scout Type Things to do on Oahu

I will arive in Oahu for a 10 day visit to my brother and sister on 12/22. I have a 15-year-old son who is fairly mature and adventuresome for his age. My brother will let me use his car virtually any time. My son used to be in the Boy Scouts and is a reasonably good outdoorsman. He also has an interest in history. Would appreciate any suggestions as to what might be interesting and worthwhile for my son on his first visit to Oahu. Thanks for any help that can be given.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Lots of nice hikes on the island up to waterfalls, etc. Google will help find some. Hike up to the top of Diamond Head for sunrise. Visit Waimea Valley -very beautiful.

For history, def visit Pearl Harbor, the Arizona, and the Missouri, as well as the WWII submarine. Get tickets early, though, since it's ultrahigh season.

Definitely go snorkeling at Shark's Cove if the waves aren't too high. He can try surfing; Waikiki is a great place to learn, long low waves make the rides good, lots of instructors out there. You can also rent paddle boards at Waikiki, probably kayaks, too. Fishing trips, sailboat trips are available in Waikiki and the North Shore.

With that amount of time, he could also get scuba certified in three days or so.

There's sky diving available on the NorthShore, too.

Your problem won't be too much time, trust me!

Enjoy! You've made me kinda jealous!

Last edited by Doc Savage; Dec 20, 2016 at 2:00 pm
Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Doc Savage,

Thanks so much for your great suggestions.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by DaileyB
Doc Savage,

Thanks so much for your great suggestions.
I love Hawaii.

I know you'll have a blast!
Old Dec 20, 2016, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
He can also go to the Bishop Museum for the history of the islands. It's one of our favorite places. There's also a small planetarium there, as well as guided tours.

It's not a very big museum, but it's important with regard to the history of the islands and people.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Doc & Mary,

We typically visit Wuhan China in the summer. Slightly different vacation trip.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 3:40 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Hanauma Bay was also a good spot to go snorkeling. The Polynesian Cultural Center may not be so adventurous, but I found it very culturally and historically informative. If you have some money to throw around, an open door helicopter tour is adventurous especially when the winds pick-up.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 4:13 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
He can learn to surf
Old Dec 20, 2016, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

onthego15 "He can learn to surf" -- My brother is an avid surfer, and my son will be able to surf all he wants. My brother lives in the condos at Waianae near Makaha.

Also, thanks a lot to everyone for all of the great suggestions.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 21, 2016 at 6:14 am Reason: Consecutive posts merged
Old Dec 21, 2016, 2:26 am

Programs: HH Silver
Lots of stuff to do here. I had a great time, I would think a 15 year old would have even more fun.

http://www.kualoa.com/
Old Dec 21, 2016, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Tatter Thanks a lot. Looks like a great suggestion.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Just went to the free US Army Museum of Hawaii, at Fort DeRussy. It's a former coastal artillery battery that housed 14 inch (!) guns. Pretty good exhibits, including lots and lots of guns. When I was there, there were plenty of interested 15-year-olds in the building.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Before I forget, I would like to make some observations of my trip to Hawaii with my children. (Have an 11-year-old daughter who I didn't mention because she was easier to plan for)

First, loved the beaches on the East Side of Hawaii. I partly grew up in Santa Barbara, so the beaches of the West Side were nice but not overly impressive to me. However, the East side beaches with the combination of azure and dark blue water were really amazing. Second, my daughter really enjoyed swimming with the dolphins in a fairly fancy hotel across the street from a golf course, and in the Waikiki area. The staff were really nice and enthusiastic. Third, it being one of the peak seasons, I really expected it to be more crowded. At least in the Waianae area it really wasn't crowded at all. Fourth, both of my children greatly enjoyed boogie boarding at Makaha and several times spent about 6 hours out there. (comparatively small surf, of course)

Fifth, my son enjoyed climbing a small mountain near Makaha. Sixth, although in Hawaii there is apparently a good amount of "looking down" at the West Side because of the poverty there, everyone was nice to me, which was all I could ask for. Seventh, visited Pearl Harbor and it was OK. Saw the Missouri but couldn't see the Arizona. Was surprised that there were significant charges for nearly all of the attractions. In comparison, the Wright Patterson Air Force Museum in Dayton was free the last time I went, and I think it is a better attraction than Pearl Harbor -- the wide range of airplanes going back to 1910 was amazing in Dayton.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. They really helped us enjoy our visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.