Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Help Me Plan My Trip to Hawaii" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2003, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Cutting food costs in Kauai

I'm going to Kauai for two weeks and I'll have the opportunity to cook with my family at a condo. What's the best way to cut Kauai's high food costs?

I know Costco isn't on Kauai and I haven't found other warehouses on the island, either.
Old Mar 6, 2003, 12:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
Bring your own food from home. Just don't bring in any fresh plant or animal materials. Processed/canned/bottled/packaged goods only. Pick up fresh items at a local grocery store.
Old Mar 6, 2003, 12:35 pm

There is a Wal-Mart in Lihue where most of the locals go to get food. There is also a Costco type club called Cost-U-Less in Kapaa. You can also purchase a discount card good for 6 months for $15, which is good at many restaurants, including some fast food places.
Old Mar 6, 2003, 2:59 pm

Memory is a little shaky here - but, Safeway is available throughout the islands. I'm fairly sure there is a Safeway or two on Kauai. Sign up for the frequent shopper card - it scores significant discounts on the groceries. Groceries are expensive here in Hawaii - however, the cost of cooking at home will save you over eating in restaruants. Just like at home, store brands are cheaper than national brands, use coupons, etc. There is a farmers market certain days on Kauai out towards Hanelei - prices are very reasonable and lots of good fresh stuff is available. (Including some really fabulous goat cheese made locally, local greens, veggies, .... yum, yum).
Old Mar 15, 2003, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
There is a K-Mart on Kauai where you can puchase lots of staples such as milk, pasta, breads, sandwhich meats, canned foods etc. Head to the grocery store (Safeway) for other things.
Old Apr 14, 2003, 11:57 am
Suspended

Ahhh---there is a subsidiary of Costco
in Kapaa town. I believe it is "Cost U Less" located behind the car dealership --
But the Safeway with the card is a good deal.
Old May 12, 2003, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
One more activity on my Kauai list: running

Anyone have any good suggestions for good places to run on Kauai - preferably starting from the Marriott right at sunrise. Max distance would be 13-15 miles - moderate hills are OK. Looking for a good road run or running paths as opposed to a deep-woods trail run.

BTW, none of my bookstores around here have Kauai Revealed. Surely Kauai bookstores will have it, right? I will be there Wednesday: no time for Amazon.
Old May 12, 2003, 11:40 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
pinniped, your Marriott concierge should be able to handle this one pretty well. If not, and there's another nice hotel nearby, you could always ask the concierge at the other hotel.
Old May 12, 2003, 11:54 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
One more option -- have a Kauai map handy and give these folks a call:

Westside Sporting Goods Shop
(808) 338-1411

Waimea, HI 96796
Old May 13, 2003, 8:55 am

There is a drive/path which goes from the hotel by the golf course & ocean. It is not very long, however, so you would have to double back to the highway. Unfortunately, there isn't a tremendous amount of scenery in the area around the hotel. If you make a right on Rice when you leave the hotel grounds, you will go by the airport and ocean, which is probably your best bet. Going the other way takes you through residential & commercial developments.
Old May 26, 2003, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SFFlyman:
There is a drive/path which goes from the hotel by the golf course & ocean. It is not very long, however, so you would have to double back to the highway. Unfortunately, there isn't a tremendous amount of scenery in the area around the hotel. If you make a right on Rice when you leave the hotel grounds, you will go by the airport and ocean, which is probably your best bet. Going the other way takes you through residential & commercial developments.</font>
I ended up running throughout the Marriott and golf course grounds and along the backside of the airport. Turned up the hill (towards the golf area) from the hotel and went from there. I was able to make about a 4-mile loop out of that, which was long enough even if I was running it 2 or 3 times. Followed the paths out to the lighthouse and to the end of the main runway at LIH, which was kind of cool...
Old May 27, 2003, 11:50 am

I'm glad you were able to construct a route on the grounds. I like the Marriott's location for exploring the island, but the area around the hotel isn't exciting.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 6:15 pm

Kauai Next July

I just got back from maui in august and have hawaii on my mind. Decided to go again next summer but want to try out kauai this time. Tentatively I have decided on the sheraton but princeville is also an option (gotta use the spg points!). A condo somewhere is also another possibility I was thinking of, are there any nice ones that would be significantly cheaper than a hotel room? I like the resort experience but it would be nice to have a kitchen to save on food expenses. Do all the sheraton rooms have at least a mini-fridge so we can store some groceries? A top priority is being close to the beach and having a nice view. Thoughts or suggestions?
Old Sep 20, 2003, 12:59 am

Hello,

We've just come back from Kauai and spent some time in Princeville - the hotel is certainly gorgeous with a great lobby! It also sits on the Hideaways Beach - one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen (along with Hanalei Bay next door) - truly a view of paradise.

There is a gas station that sells an extensive grocery selection in Princeville - but again this is off the Highway and a good 2 miles from the hotel.

Princeville is certainly a wonderful part of the Island but it's country club style development does appear to be at odds with the surroundings in my opinion. A great Island though - and I'm wondering which one to go to next.

S.
Old Dec 19, 2003, 8:43 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Kauai for XMas New Years

Won a Timeshare, and so spending XMas and NYE with family in Kauai. Any suggested activities? I'd like to try surfing, so any recommendations on that front?

Mahalo!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.