Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2005, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by lihue1k
Well yes, Kauai is rural and all that.

But there is another reason as well.

Kauai was struck by two hurricanes in 1982 & 1992 (ironically September 11th 1992). On both occassions large egg ranches were destroyed and the cluckers distributed far and wide.

With no natural preditors on the island, aside from dogs, they reproduce pretty quickly. The typical resident tolerates but doesn't love them. After a while you hardly notice the crowing all hours day or night.

Aloha

Lihu'e 1k
I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip!

aloha
Old Feb 24, 2005, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Skymiles
During 15 days on Kauai we didn't see one dead dog on the side of the road ^ but several dead roosters.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 10:31 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Interesting on the egg farm thing. I always heard the first roosters and chickens were brought to Kauai a long time ago for cockfighting and these that now cover the island are from those. I suppose neither story is mutually exclusive. As an aside, I've definitely happened on some homes on all the islands where it was pretty clear there were roosters being raised for cockfighting.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 5:10 pm

Programs: UAL1K 2MM UGS, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by letiole
Interesting on the egg farm thing. I always heard the first roosters and chickens were brought to Kauai a long time ago for cockfighting and these that now cover the island are from those. I suppose neither story is mutually exclusive. As an aside, I've definitely happened on some homes on all the islands where it was pretty clear there were roosters being raised for cockfighting.
Oh, there is no doubt that such things do go on too.

Lihu'e 1k
Old Jul 13, 2005, 9:53 am
dawei

Quilts - Kauai

I know this is kind of a long shot, but I thought I would ask anyway. Mrs. Dawei and I are headed to Kauai for our second anniversary. Given that’s the cotton anniversary I thought it would be nice to get one those famous Hawaii quilts. I’ve searched Google and while I come up with a lot of hits I don’t find anything about specific vendors so my question is:

a) Can anyone recommend a quilter who I might contract with ahead of time
or
b)Can I just show up and find one there? If so any recommendations?

Old Jul 13, 2005, 12:44 pm

What a great idea!

Try KAPAIA STITCHERY
3-3561 Kuhio Avenue
Kapaia, HI 96746
(Lihue-Kalapaki Region)
(808) 245-2281
They're a quilting store. Often quilt stores sell fabric and just have quilts on display, but they should be able to put you in touch with local quilters who do sell their work. And it's possible they do have quilts for sale.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 3:50 pm

i suggest you contact the kauai museum. http://www.kauaimuseum.org/index.htm

ps: i assume you know this already, but most quilts sold in hawaii are cheap philippine imitations.

Last edited by jtkauai; Jul 13, 2005 at 3:52 pm
Old Jul 13, 2005, 4:11 pm
dawei

Originally Posted by jtkauai
ps: i assume you know this already, but most quilts sold in hawaii are cheap philippine imitations.
Did not but am not too suprised, I know factories in China that export glass, masks, and lace to Venice......

Is there anyway that you can possibly tell?

Thanks for the link and the head up!

Last edited by dawei; Jul 13, 2005 at 4:18 pm

Old Jul 13, 2005, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by dawei
Did not but am not too suprised, I know factories in China that export glass, masks, and lace to Venice......

Is there anyway that you can possibly tell?

Thanks for the link and the head up!
not only can you tell, you can't miss it (as an affectionado of fiber arts). the philippine quilts are pretty, simple, and chinese-like in execution. the real thing costs 10x more, has tremendous variability in color and designs/patterns, and is infinitely more unique and beautiful.

the hawaiian ones are sold only in fine or unique stores or by individuals, and not in touristy what-not shops.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by dawei
Can I just show up and find one there? If so any recommendations?
letiole is right on! KAPAIA STITCHERY is a fabulous store, you can easily spend hours there if you like quilting or fabrics. They have finished quilts and clothing and various quilted or cotton accessories for sale as well as a wide range of fabrics. I believe the owner's name is Julie. They are very friendly and very approachable. Give them a call and explain you are thinking of purchasing a quilt for your wife for your anniversary and I am sure they will be DELIGHTED to help you out!!!

They sell quilts that are locally sewn and they also have unique Hawaiian fabrics.

Please let us know how this goes, I would love to know how it turns out!
Old Jul 14, 2005, 5:09 pm

Programs: Delta
What about on Maui or in Honolulu? Any stores that sell true Hawaiian quilts that you would recommend?
Old Jul 15, 2005, 12:10 pm

Location: PHL/KOA - SU '03 M BB NCAA Champs/Phillies '08 WS Champs/Eagles '18 SB Champs
Programs: AA EXP (3MM)/HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jtkauai
the real thing costs 10x more
I can attest to that. We have bought several beautiful "Hawaiian" quilts (the Philippine variety) that cost around $200. Comparable true-Hawaiian quilts were around $3,000.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by nishimark
What about on Maui or in Honolulu? Any stores that sell true Hawaiian quilts that you would recommend?
There's a quilts/quilting shop in Waimea on Maui in one of the shopping centers near Daniel Thiebault's that sells Hawaiian quilts. These are generally the handmade several thousand-dollar variety. There's also a vintage Hawaiiana store nearby that has vintage Hawaiian quilts.

I was thinking about this issue of "true Hawaiian" quilts vs. "imitations". It's an interesting question. Is a quilt in a Hawaiian design made by a person of Hawaiian ancestry but living in Germany a true Hawaiian quilt? What if a Norwegian makes a quilt following Hawaiian quiltmaking traditions?

I quilt a bit; my mother quilts a lot. Labor in the US is very expensive and so handwork done in the US is very costly. The same work can be done in other countries for much less. I've seen beautiful quilts come out of Asia and, knowing the number of hours it takes me to make a quilt, I'm astounded out how reasonably they can be sold. My advice on selecting a quilt would be to ask yourself what the purpose is of the quilt. I've seen Hawaiian quilts- vintage quilts that were hand stitched and quilted in Hawaii - for $10,000. I wouldn't put one of those on my bed. I probably wouldn't put a $4,000 quilt on my bed. The Fairmont Kea Lani has beautiful Hawaiian quilts on their beds, but they're machine quilted and probably retail for a few hundred dollars and were likely made in Asia; they're still lovely. One is artwork; one is functional.

Here's a site with some good info on Hawaiian quilts. You can likely write for buying source recommendations too.
http://www.nvo.com/poakalani/questionsessays/

Last edited by l etoile; Jul 19, 2005 at 9:12 am
Old Jul 19, 2005, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by letiole
There's a quilts/quilting shop in Waimea on Maui in one of the shopping centers near Daniel Thiebault's that sells Hawaiian quilts. These are generally the handmade several thousand-dollar variety. There's also a vintage Hawaiiana store nearby that has vintage Hawaiian quilts.

I was thinking about this issue of "true Hawaiian" quilts vs. "imitations". It's an interesting question. Is a quilt in a Hawaiian design made by a person of Hawaiian ancestry but living in Germany a true Hawaiian quilt? What if a Norwegian makes a quilt following Hawaiian quiltmaking traditions?

I quilt a bit; my mother quilts a lot. Labor in the US is very expensive and so handwork done in the US is very costly. The same work can be done in other countries for much less. I've seen beautiful quilts come out of Asia and, knowing the number of hours it takes me to make a quilt, I'm astounded out how reasonably they can be sold. My advice on selecting a quilt would be to ask yourself what the purpose is of the quilt. I've seen Hawaiian quilts- vintage quilts that were hand stitched and quilted in Hawaii - for $10,000. I wouldn't put one of those on my bed. I probably wouldn't put a $4,000 quilt on my bed. The Fairmont Kea Lani has beautiful Hawaiian quilts on their beds, but they're machine quilted and probably retail for a few hundred dollars and were likely made in Asia; they're still lovely. One is artwork; one is functional.

Here's a site with some good info on Hawaiian quilts. You can likely write for buying source recommendations too.
http://www.nvo.com/poakalani/questionsessays/
good post.

just a thought: i have both philippine and hawaiian quilts. they are both wonderful, but couldn't be more different.

the philippine ones are very nice, and i just don't worry about them or give them a second thought. i wash them and some are just hung using brass tacks.

the hawaiian ones, are like any other type of fine art. you'd better worry about them, their location, the environment, how you display and care for them, etc.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 7:12 pm

1st time to Kauai

I just found out that I "have to" go to Kauai for a client's management meeting. My company will pay for my airfare and hotel & meals during the mtg period (9/19 - 9/24), and I am able to bring my beautiful bride (on my dime). We'd like to stay an extra two nights (total trip would be 6 days/5 nights), and are flexible as to adding them before or after the mtg. We're not too picky as to how luxurious our accomodations will be. Our main goal is to go for as little out of pocket $$$ as possible.

I've got a bunch of questions (please bear w/ a NooB).

1. We have a gift certificate for two nights at any Wyndham resort (there's one in Honolulu). We have yet to confirm that it will be valid for the times we'll be there, but if it is would the extra cost of adding the stop in Honolulu for 2 nights be worth using this certificate?

2. We're staying at the Grand Hyatt in the Southern part of Kauai for the meeting portion of the trip (chosen by the client - no flexibility). The client's travel agent says we'd be able to add a few days to our stay on either end at the same discounted rate that the client is getting. She estimates it to be less than $300/night; she'll confirm it later this week after she gets the contract signed. Is that good for that hotel, and/or for the island? What should we expect? How low could/should we go for a different hotel? Any suggestions?

3. Do we need a car on either island? We would like to explore, but is there other transport (on either island) that will take us to some cool destinations for less ($ and hassle (i.e. parking)), like hotel shuttles, taxis, buses? We don't have to see/do everything. We intend to take it kinda easy. My wife might be bored during the day on the 22nd and 23rd when I'll have meetings to attend. Anyone know what the Grand Hyatt offers by way of diversions, or if this alone would be reason to get the car (my wife being able to explore during those times)?

4. If we can't use the Wyndham gift certificate, would it be worth it to go to Oahu, or any of the other islands for a couple days? Would it be cheaper to stay in the (my guess) more touristy therefore less expensive city of Honolulu than anywhere on Kauai?

5. If you have any suggestions/advice for what to look out for, or that we definitely have to do/see, please feel free to throw those into the pot. If you can't tell, we're looking to have a decent, relaxing break without breaking the bank. However, if anyone wants to convince us to splurge, we're open to that too.

6. I forgot to add...we do have enough miles on a couple different airlines (United and Northwest) to get a ticket to HI (I think - both have > 35,000 balance). We're willing to use them, but we plan on going to Europe next year and think that we'd getting a better value saving them for that trip. But please advise.

Add'l background: I've been to Honolulu once (in '93), my wife's never been to any of the Islands.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by igotnothin; Aug 17, 2005 at 7:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.