Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Opinion: Outrigger Reef Ohau.

Old Aug 29, 2011, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond

I'm booked there 3rd week of Sept. Sat->Sat. and want to get some recon from the collective about the place. First time to HI and the wife wants to see the Arizona, Diamondhead, etc. (no kids traveling) If I've made a bad choice please speak up with alternatives.

I just want a nice room, decent ocean view etc. I'd appreciate info on rooms/wings to avoid, tips, local places worth eating at- All feedback appreciated.

-Wingrider
Old Aug 30, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Outrigger Reef

Originally Posted by Wingrider
I'm booked there 3rd week of Sept. Sat->Sat. and want to get some recon from the collective about the place. First time to HI and the wife wants to see the Arizona, Diamondhead, etc. (no kids traveling) If I've made a bad choice please speak up with alternatives.
I just want a nice room, decent ocean view etc. I'd appreciate info on rooms/wings to avoid, tips, local places worth eating at- All feedback appreciated.

-Wingrider
IMHO - not a bad choice at all. Good location. Beach front. And most likely cheaper rates than the main Waikiki beach front properties. ORR is right next door to the luxurious Halekulani. The new Trump hotel is right behind it. It's the last hotel in line before you get to Derussy Park and the Hilton Hawaiian Village Resort - which has a huge beach front on the bay. Easy walk to main Waikiki. Lots of shops and restaurants down Lewers St. right behind Outrigger Reef. Roy's Waikiki is a block right behind your hotel and also much cheaper choices like Denny's right on the corner. So many eating choices easy walk from the Outrigger Reef. Even if you want to walk down to main Waikiki beach strip -- very close. Aloha
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davesam12
IMHO - not a bad choice at all. Good location. Beach front. And most likely cheaper rates than the main Waikiki beach front properties. ORR is right next door to the luxurious Halekulani. The new Trump hotel is right behind it. It's the last hotel in line before you get to Derussy Park and the Hilton Hawaiian Village Resort - which has a huge beach front on the bay. Easy walk to main Waikiki. Lots of shops and restaurants down Lewers St. right behind Outrigger Reef. Roy's Waikiki is a block right behind your hotel and also much cheaper choices like Denny's right on the corner. So many eating choices easy walk from the Outrigger Reef. Even if you want to walk down to main Waikiki beach strip -- very close. Aloha
Excellent recon, thank you! I've had dinner at the Roy's in SF twice so I had his place on my short list of places to try while over there. Good to know it's reasonably close.

It looks like the hotel is down the road from the sweet spot of "downtown" but I don't think that's an issue- unless I'm mistaken. Any places close by that can save me on the abusive hotel parking fees?
Old Aug 30, 2011, 1:07 pm

Stayed there in October 10

I love the place. I had first stayed there in 1984 when in the Army and some friends came out to visit.

More currently...
It has been recently remodeled, I really enjoyed the saltwater pool. Room was really nice (I stayed in one of the rooms on the 2nd floor, lani open to a wider patio overlooking the pool. These are not “premium rooms” but since traveling with another couple it allowed us to hang out with drinks in comfort. Sound of pool-side music was an added plus). Short walk into the Waikiki downtown.

Enjoy your trip, I wish I had another planned in the near future.

P.S. if you are up to it, I highly recommend the hike to the top of Diamond Head. Amazing view. Also, Sat. am on the beach is a Marrage Vow Renewal. Other couples took it a bit more seriously than I had planned, but it was a cool thing to do as well.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Wingrider
Excellent recon, thank you! I've had dinner at the Roy's in SF twice so I had his place on my short list of places to try while over there. Good to know it's reasonably close.

It looks like the hotel is down the road from the sweet spot of "downtown" but I don't think that's an issue- unless I'm mistaken. Any places close by that can save me on the abusive hotel parking fees?
There is a big monitored/gated lot diagonal across the street from the ORR on Kalia Rd. directly across from Derussy Park. I jog this route when we are staying in Waikiki and have passed it many times in the morning seeing cars in and out. But, haven't checked it out closely, so not sure if is public lot or a military employee lot, short term or long term? Sorry. Yes, hotel/resort parking is often $$.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: spg gold
I did'nt stay at the ORR,however I stayed next door and loved the location. Easy 10 min walk to the action,yet nice beach and great views. I stayed at the Lotus about 120.00 per night in March it was 3.75 stars.Very clean and they were helpful.http://www.booking.com/hotel/us/cast...d4db5cb2004X41
Old Aug 30, 2011, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Great info continuing to roll in. Thanks gang.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.