Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaiian considering A380?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:26 am

Angry

Originally Posted by Platy
I thought this thread was about the topic of HA taking up A380s?

We don't have the numbers on that!

As for the "A380 is dead" propaganda from US airlines and media please consider the following:

HA itself uses a fleet of 18 no-longer-in-production 717s with two now being added to make a fleet of 20.

QF's partner Cobham is keen to access more for its own fleet servicing QantasLink routes in Australia according to a local friend who is a QF 717 pilot.

Production of the 717 ceased 10 years ago! - Boeing didn't see a market for the 717 upon the "merger" with McDonnell Douglas.

Forgive me if I don't buy into the anti-Middle Eastern airline and anti-non US made aircraft rants and misinformation.

The US government has been propping up its aviation industry for decades and the hypocrisy of the US airline executive is a joke when crying foul play!

It would indeed be a delicious outcome to see HA adopt the A380.

Agreed a bit hypocritical of Boeing to be complaining about $22 billion in Euro gov't subsidies to fund the development of every single commercial Airbus a/c. Maybe the trade sanctions to purchase a used Airbus A380 will make the cost prohibitive? I guess we'll find out after the WTO rules on the Euro gov't WTO case against Boeing.

But I do hope HA doesn't select the A380. Seems to be overkill. But you never know.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by toadman
Agreed a bit hypocritical of Boeing to be complaining about $22 billion in Euro gov't subsidies to fund the development of every single commercial Airbus a/c. Maybe the trade sanctions to purchase a used Airbus A380 will make the cost prohibitive? I guess we'll find out after the WTO rules on the Euro gov't WTO case against Boeing.

But I do hope HA doesn't select the A380. Seems to be overkill. But you never know.

Yep – you’re right in that hypocrisy abounds, but on all sides!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...ines/71568226/

https://skift.com/2015/04/09/wikilea...-in-subsidies/

https://www.princeton.edu/~ota/disk1...112/911210.PDF

Add funding via the backdoor through “foreign aid”:

“By law, nearly all U.S. assistance must be spent on American-produced goods. Israel spends nearly 75% of U.S. aid in the U.S. to purchase military equipment”

…that’s out of $38 billion…

http://www.adl.org/israel-internatio...id-israel.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-is...-idUSKCN11Q1VF

Yes, the WTO has just come done on the side of US (http://www.bbc.com/news/business-37444780), but then there are counter claims against the US - FWIW looks to me that the US are simply smarter than the Europeans in the way they funnel the cash into their defence / aviation industries, but funnel the cash they surely do!
Old Sep 24, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
My guess is that Airbus is shopping around the early A380 deliveries that are being returned as their leases end and offering some good deals. HAL management is doing their due diligence to see if the plane makes any sense for them, but I imagine nothing will come of it. Having a different type just to serve LAX and TYO makes little sense, especially when multiple frequencies timed at different parts of the day (at least to LAX, not sure about timing and slots for TYO) has advantages over fewer frequencies with a bigger plane. If a bigger plane really made sense for HAL, I'd think they'd have converted the A350-800 orders to the A350-900 when Airbus was trying to drop that model, rather than switching to the A330-800neo.
I would imagine they can get the off lease 380s (or the Malaysian ones) for a song. I have no idea of what kind of maintenance freebies Airbus would throw into the deal, but both Airbus and Boeing have become increasingly clever on this side of the marketing position. That said, acquiring a new fleet type, especially a plane as unusual as the 380, is a super big deal for an airline...engineering support, tugs to move around such a massive piece of merchandise, documentation, pilot training, etc. I usually think in terms of a negotiating ploy to influence another transaction between Airbus and the airline. Does HA have any further 350 purchase options in the near future?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:52 pm

The idea of the A380 had me thinking last night. Can LAX T2 accommodate the A380? I heard one of the reasons Air China didn't initially use the 747-8i at LAX because it couldn't handle that plane until CA moved to TBIT. With the Delta move to T2/T3, can whatever south side terminal HA ends up at (presumably T5 or T6) handle the A380? Or would HA have to move to TBIT in order to use the A380 there?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 1:46 pm
azj

The idea of the A380 had me thinking last night. Can LAX T2 accommodate the A380? I heard one of the reasons Air China didn't initially use the 747-8i at LAX because it couldn't handle that plane until CA moved to TBIT. With the Delta move to T2/T3, can whatever south side terminal HA ends up at (presumably T5 or T6) handle the A380? Or would HA have to move to TBIT in order to use the A380 there?
HA is moving to T5 in the Spring. I think where they could park the plane is the least of their concerns at this point in the "looking at" the 380 phase. I think we all know, including Dunkerley that the 380 isn't realistic. I'm more and more convinced this is a display of setting the framework for other discussions. Or, it could be the dangling of a carrot in-front of the pilots during their contentious negotiations and the upcoming negotiations with the Flight Attendants.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 2:36 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by azj
HA is moving to T5 in the Spring. I think where they could park the plane is the least of their concerns at this point in the "looking at" the 380 phase. I think we all know, including Dunkerley that the 380 isn't realistic. I'm more and more convinced this is a display of setting the framework for other discussions. Or, it could be the dangling of a carrot in-front of the pilots during their contentious negotiations and the upcoming negotiations with the Flight Attendants.
Umm. T5: Codeshare agreement with Delta?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 3:12 pm
azj

Originally Posted by 747FC
Umm. T5: Codeshare agreement with Delta?
No. DL is relocating to T2 and T3 starting in the spring and as a result, the displaced carriers not remaining in T2/T3 will be moving elsewhere.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:23 am

HA itself uses a fleet of 18 no-longer-in-production 717s with two now being added to make a fleet of 20.
They got 2 more? Where from?

I wonder if part of this is from the ANA/Skymark deal. ANA claims they are going to operate A380's to Hawaii in a few years, a fallout from having to take over Skymark's A380s in order to take over Skymark and get their Haneda slots.

I seriously doubt any of that will happen, but will be in awe if it does.

I asked HNL airport if they were preparing for it and actually got an email back from the DOT spokesperson, Tim Sakahara. Basically, nope, they aren't ready and aren't preparing for it, though said in a nice way and not so directly. (Yes, we've had an A380 land here, blah blah blah. Sure the runway can handle it, and maybe a taxiway can, but they can't handle the load they get now.) I can't imagine what the immigration "hall" will look like with a densely configured A380 and other planes arriving around the same time. Just think how tightly they can pack the wiki wikis when they land at one of ANAs diamond head gates. hahaha!

I think every airline really has to evaluate every possible aircraft one way or the other. Not sure what the context of the question was. I think if Dunkerly really wants to service UK/EU they are going to need a longer range a/c.

Maybe if the A380s get cheap enough Delta will find a way to make money with them? Who knows? There's a bunch of them being turned in (the original ones), so they should be relatively cheap to pick them up.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Sep 26, 2016 at 2:31 am
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by azj
I suspect something has been taken out of context here. An A380 just makes zero sense for HAL.
^

HA is NOT buying the A380 anytime soon. Hopefully, one of the neo Airbii can make it to Europe. I don't believe that there is anywhere near the market for HNL-Europe that an A380 would require. Remember that they need to look at filling 80% of the seats to make money on such a route.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 12:06 pm
azj

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
They got 2 more? Where from?
They're coming from Volotea later this year, with be reconfigured to the HAL specs and enter service sometime in early 2017.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by formeraa
^

HA is NOT buying the A380 anytime soon. Hopefully, one of the neo Airbii can make it to Europe. I don't believe that there is anywhere near the market for HNL-Europe that an A380 would require. Remember that they need to look at filling 80% of the seats to make money on such a route.
I don't disagree with you but could you imagine a A380 HNL-JFK-HNL?? Wow that would be a shot to the big 3 not only for Hawaii traffic but one stop service to Japan too. It's nice to dream.

Last edited by Madone59; Nov 2, 2016 at 2:40 pm Reason: typo
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Madone59
I don't disagree with you but could you imagine a A380 HNL-JFK-HNL?? Wow that would be a shot to the big 3 not only for Hawaii traffic but on stop service to Japan too. It's nice to dream.
Going via HNL is a significant detour for JFK-NRT. Over 2,000 extra miles: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=jfk-nrt;+jfk-hnl-nrt
Old Oct 27, 2016, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
TANA claims they are going to operate A380's to Hawaii in a few years, a fallout from having to take over Skymark's A380s in order to take over Skymark and get their Haneda slots.

I seriously doubt any of that will happen, but will be in awe if it does.
I received an email from ANA today - they are now promoting an A380 service to Hawaii.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: TrueBlue/Hawaiian Miles
I received an email from ANA today - they are now promoting an A380 service to Hawaii.
Any chance on posting a pic or a possible link? I'd love to see what their plan is to board/disembark and clear 600 pax or so thru the clogged customs/immigration area!
Old Nov 2, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Going via HNL is a significant detour for JFK-NRT. Over 2,000 extra miles: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=jfk-nrt;+jfk-hnl-nrt
An extra 2,000 miles, so? EK relies on people thinking DXB is the most efficient connection point to any place we need to go than completes on price. That is the luxury you get with that quantity of lift on a single route.

A A380 on Hawaii-Japan routes would be a winner.....see below

Originally Posted by FBWFTW
Any chance on posting a pic or a possible link? I'd love to see what their plan is to board/disembark and clear 600 pax or so thru the clogged customs/immigration area!
http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Comp...Hawaii-service

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.