FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hawaiian considering A380?
View Single Post
Old Sep 26, 2016, 2:23 am
LIH Prem

Originally Posted by Platy
HA itself uses a fleet of 18 no-longer-in-production 717s with two now being added to make a fleet of 20.
They got 2 more? Where from?

I wonder if part of this is from the ANA/Skymark deal. ANA claims they are going to operate A380's to Hawaii in a few years, a fallout from having to take over Skymark's A380s in order to take over Skymark and get their Haneda slots.

I seriously doubt any of that will happen, but will be in awe if it does.

I asked HNL airport if they were preparing for it and actually got an email back from the DOT spokesperson, Tim Sakahara. Basically, nope, they aren't ready and aren't preparing for it, though said in a nice way and not so directly. (Yes, we've had an A380 land here, blah blah blah. Sure the runway can handle it, and maybe a taxiway can, but they can't handle the load they get now.) I can't imagine what the immigration "hall" will look like with a densely configured A380 and other planes arriving around the same time. Just think how tightly they can pack the wiki wikis when they land at one of ANAs diamond head gates. hahaha!

I think every airline really has to evaluate every possible aircraft one way or the other. Not sure what the context of the question was. I think if Dunkerly really wants to service UK/EU they are going to need a longer range a/c.

Maybe if the A380s get cheap enough Delta will find a way to make money with them? Who knows? There's a bunch of them being turned in (the original ones), so they should be relatively cheap to pick them up.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Sep 26, 2016 at 2:31 am