Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bogota -

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2006, 1:45 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Plat
I just got back from Bogota a few weeks ago (March 24-April 3rd). I found it to be very safe, very affordable, and quite a lot of fun. Of course I was with Bogota natives, so I'm sure that makes a lot of difference. There was no chance for me to get into a bad area or situation, because was always with at least one native and normally two.

My first hotel (Casa Medina) did have bomb sniffing dogs and heavy security, but after awhile you just get used to it. We spent a good bit of time out at night, and I didn't feel the least bit threatened. 99% of residents were friendly and nice to me, and I picked up a lot of Spanish -- seeing that I spoke very very little before I went.

I didn't go for business or anything -- purely recreaction. I had met about 8 Colombian Students last summer (they worked at the same place that I did), and they had invited me several times to visit. On Spring Break from classes I decided to visit.

Taxis are very numerous and quite cheap compared to European or North American standards. All were metered, and the drivers are efficient -- and certainly engage in a fairly "frentic" and wild pace to get you to your location. I also visited the countryside around Bogota, visited a few malls, ate in my friends homes, and saw many museums and landmarks.

Honestly, I felt just as safe in Bogota as I did in Munich, Zurich, Stuttgart, Lisbon, Madrid, or any other major city I took a tourist visit too. The people are beyond friendly and love to show you their traditions and culture. More than anything you will find that they go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable and ok with their lifestyle. They are certainly NOT pushy about any topic or choice. Since I was with friends I already knew, I was able to discuss politics, but we had done that before in the USA. Rarely did we discuss politics with their friends, however, because as you know it isn't typically a good idea.

The city is very inexpensive. Not just food, but pretty much any type of item you are purchasing or service that you require. I made the mistake of staying at Expensive Hotels (my friend were in classes, so I couldn't stay with them), and they were not very cheap. Hoteles Charleston and Casa Medina are in the same family of hotels, and they provide a high level of service, but mainly cater to business travelers, wealthy citizens, and just a stuffier element of society. They never hassled my friends, but my friends did feel that they were a bit "rude" to them at first, because they didn't believe they had a "friend" staying there.

All of the food is wonderful (especially the very fresh fruits and vegetables), and the portions are more than adequate. Just don't eat from street vendors (even my friends wouldn't), and you should be just find. I'd say the chance of getting sick there is a lot less than even Cancun (I did manage to get sick there). The tap water is very drinkable, but bottled water can be had without any hassle. Some restaurants have English translation menus, but others do not. However, once you learn some basic vocabulary this is not an issue.

Overall, it is a great city, and it exceeded my wildest imaginations. I can't wait to go back and visit Medellin, Cali, Cartagena and other cities. Bogota is large, and even with more than a week it was hard to see it all. This was my first trip in which I wasn't with an English speaking companion. My friends there spoke English at a good level, but that's rare in Bogota. There's a lot of students and businesspeople that speak English, but don't expect the bulk of people to. They simply don't. It was very different for me, because at least in Europe I know German, and that helps quite a bit in some locations, and other times I was with a group. This, however, made it that much better. I got to fully experience things without relying on English as a crutch as I normally do.

I hope this helps someone. You shouldn't be scared to go here -- it seemed very safe to me. One word of advice -- arrive early to the airport. It becomes very crowded, and security is thorough, so you had better arrive at least 4 hours before an international flight. I urge anyone who likes different places to go visit. Very reasonably priced, and safety is not something you have to be extremely vigilant about. Just treat it as any other large international city.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 12:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, CM Silver, IHG Silver
Bogota is my current favorite city in S.A. Yes, I have had my necklace ripped from my person, but whose fault was that? Yes, mine. Just be careful like you would traveling in any city in any part of the world. I felt more fear walking in Caracas than Bogota.

Taxi drivers are honest. The people are glad that you took the time to come there. A lot of discos in Chapinero area. Gay discos are predominantely there as well. Please beware of drugs slipped into your drink and insist on a new plastic cup for each new cocktail.

For stays, I highly recommend an independent company www.viaggiosuites.com. You can rent your own apartment for half the price of a hotel. Apts are decorated IKEA style. You get free breakfast delivered to your apartment. They are very nice people and the locations are great. Don't rely on making a reservation on the website... you should call. You can pay by credit card.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Bogota

Need reasonable priced hotels in the chapinero area, close to bars etc.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Calling Bogota !!!!!!!
Anyone?????????
Chapinero neighbourhood.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Feb 4, 2008 at 7:29 pm
Old Feb 3, 2008, 11:45 pm

The question is a bit vague isn't it? I can think a hotel reasonably priced at $250 or at $50 depending on what the hotel is like.

For under $50/night try www.lacasonadelpatio.net

Alternatively,look at the rates on http://www.reservashoteleras.com.co/public/default.asp
Old Feb 4, 2008, 5:32 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Hopefully I'll be calling Bogota in a couple of weeks. Chance of a business trip and my first time back since 2004.

Can one of you give me a better idea of where the chapinero district is, perhaps cross-streets (avenida/calle)? What is it like these days? How would a gringo do? How would a gringo do on his own, without a Colombian friend?
Old Feb 4, 2008, 6:25 am

Borders
North: Calle 100, bordering the locality of Usaquén.
East: the eastern mountains, bordering the municipalities of La Calera and Choachí.
South: Calle 39, bordering the locality of Santa Fe.
West: Avenida Caracas and Autopista Norte, with the localities of Barrios Unidos and Teusaquillo

From Wikipedia
Old Feb 4, 2008, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
That's a massive area, 60 blocks north-south and dozens east-west. Can we narrow it down a bit? Or can someone say what part of that district is where the gay-friendly bars and clubs are?
Old Feb 4, 2008, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.guiagaycolombia.com/bogota/bares.htm

http://www.bogota-dc.com/maps/bog-map.htm

Megatoplover check out this link.

My question is not vague. I don't want to be too far North from 80th or too far south from 60th. The bars and clubs are all around these streets. I would like to be close to the bars and that is in the chapinero area or I guess i will have to settle for the Zona Rosa.

Last edited by djjaguar64; Feb 4, 2008 at 7:36 pm
Old Feb 5, 2008, 5:36 am

Thanks for the list, jaguar, it's an impressive one. I'm very pleasantly surprised to see so many gay-oriented businesses.

Looks like I'll be going down there next week, but it'll be a quick business trip, so I doubt I'll have much chance to break away and go exploring. And without a Colombian friend to go with me, I'd be pretty hesitant to step out.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Thanks for the list, jaguar, it's an impressive one. I'm very pleasantly surprised to see so many gay-oriented businesses.

Looks like I'll be going down there next week, but it'll be a quick business trip, so I doubt I'll have much chance to break away and go exploring. And without a Colombian friend to go with me, I'd be pretty hesitant to step out.
Don't be hesitant. Just keep your wits about you as you would in any major city and you should be fine. People are friendly and I don't recall ever being threatened and I was there when I am told that it was considerably more dangerous. Have a good trip. It's a great city.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MegatopLover

You cum with me anytime. We will be there Dec 25 for 3 nights and I have picked all the right places. Just looking for a hotel close to the bar scene.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 9:29 pm

While I haven't been down there for a long while (almost 5 years), I would recommend you to stay in the Zona Rosa area, which is much much nicer and has a lot more to offer such as very good restaurants, shops, malls, bars, hotels, etc. Chapinero is not a nice area, very 'smb' oriented, kinda hectic (think about Garment District here in NYC) with lots of small business and offices, people rushing and traffic is crazy. I don't think there's a good selection of restaurants or bars, just a few for businessmen during lunch hours (and the gay bars you mentioned I believe)

Zona Rosa is very close to Chapinero and I'd rather cab it to a gay bar in Chapinero if you are going out (there should be gay bars in ZR too, there was one back then on Calle 74 IIRC) . Other than going to gay bars, I would not go to Chapinero as it has nothing to see. Zona Rosa is in Calle 82 and surroundings while Chapinero starts in Calle 72 and lower... so depending on where you stay, it'll be a 10-15 min ride (depending on time of day and traffic), and cabs are pretty inexpensive. Make sure you take one from the hotel if you don't know the city and don't speak Spanish to avoid getting lost or getting charged triple!

Enjoy Bogota!
Old Feb 6, 2008, 6:06 am

If I had my druthers, we'd definitely stay in or near the Zona Rosa. I passed up an opportunity to do that last time, and it was a mistake. On this trip, it looks like we won't have much time and need to stay on Avenida Eldorado to be close to our meeting location. I will definitely see if we can go out in Zona Rosa for at least one evening.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 9:23 am
Suspended

if anyone was interested in a last minute weekend trip, CO is offering newark-bogota as part of its weekend specials deal. the before tax price is nice but the fare includes $100 in taxes when you click through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.